How do you contact a guest after they have booked?

Brittani7
Level 4
Florida, US

How do you contact a guest after they have booked?

What method do you use to contact you guest?  I send them my basic thanks for booking with us message and directions but do you continue messaging them over Airbnb or do you contact them over their phone?

I find a lot of guests reply more quickly when I text them rather then message them over Airbnb.  A few guests have also told me texting is easier for them.

1 Reply 1
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Brittani7  It's best to keep communications with guests on the Airbnb messaging system so there is a record of the exchange should an issue crop up later. For instance, let's say you send a guest directions to your place and check-in info via text. The guest later claims that you never sent them the check-in details as some excuse for demanding a refund from Airbnb. But if Airbnb can see a message from you dated 2 days before check-in, where you clearly communicated the info, the guest's claim can be proven to be bogus.

Whether the guest prefers texting or not isn't your affair. You need to conduct your hosting business in a way that protects you.

All that said, there are times when it's no issue to phone or text a guest. I have my guests phone or text me when they get into town, so I can come pick them up at the bus station (it's a 5 minute drive for me and much easier than them trying to find my hard-to-find place). And elderly people who aren't tech savvy may find Airbnb messaging to be challenging. Just play it by ear, while keeping in mind that Airbnb messaging provides a documented trail should there be any contention in the future. You don't want to end up in some dispute with a guest where it's just their word against yours as to what was said or agreed upon. And savvy guests will also try to take things off-platform so there is no record, like trying to extort you for a good review.