How do you deal with renters causing you to incur fines with your resort, then refuse to pay?

Tonyia1
Level 2
Kentucky, United States

How do you deal with renters causing you to incur fines with your resort, then refuse to pay?

A renter broke the rules of our resort and caused me to incur $400 in fines, then refused to pay. Airbnb didn't keep her deposit while the case was open, but offered me $200 instead . I provided the paid receipts, a letter from the resort and video showing what happened. They said it was the best they could do. This is not a resolution in my opinion. The deposit should have been held, but instead it was returned.  So the girl got off scott free and both Airbnb and myself are out $200. This policy needs to change--noone is going to willingly pay fines for problems they caused. And because there were no consequences for her, she'll probably go on to do it to another host.  On top of that she gave me a 1 star review- which I don't really care about because all my other ones are great. And my bookings aren't suffering. Still, this policy of asking renter for money after they have caused a problem involving a fine--and there is proof--in insane. Deposits should be held and used toward hese types of problems.  Color me still very upset.

Tonyia

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

First of all, @Tonyia1 you need to be aware that security "deposit" is a misnomer in my opinion because Air BNB never collects the money.  You can read more about this in the Help Center.  Air BNB retains the right to access the credit card up to the amount you have indicated in your listing.  So if there are $400 in damages or claim and your "deposit" is $200, Air BNB cannot collect it for you even if you prove the claim.  What do you have listed for your deposit?  

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Tonyia1 I would never use ABB for a place that has the ability to enforce fines, bc ABB does not at all believe in fines for bad behavior and I'd say you're pretty lucky that you got $200 out of them in this instance.

IF you know who the guest is (real name, real address) then you could take this to small claims, that is your best recourse as far as ABB goes.

But after reading her review, it doesn't entirely sound like she was the real problem. So, if I were you, I'd actually care quite a bit about that review: she's said that you rented illegally, asked her to lie about it and all of your scores are considerably lower than what would be considered ok for ABB standards.

If you have the time it'd be good for you to read here for lots more info about rules, reviews & other abb expectations. Good luck

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Tonyia1   Now you know that airbnb doesn't ever 'take' the security deposit, it is solely up to the guest whether they allow it to be used, and only then for damages.

It somewhat depends on whether what the guest says in the review about you illegally renting the unit and having the guest say that she was your 'cousin' is true or not.  If it is true, you will want to rethink what you're doing because you will probably eventually get further outed to your HOA.  If she is lying, then I'd give a short, very professional response to  her long rant.

Tonyia1
Level 2
Kentucky, United States

I didn't rent to her illegally. She insisted on coming down during covid when the amenities were not available, then got pissed when the pool did open her group vaped and huffed and drank like  a bunch of hooligans which was caught on video and she was fined for it. So she left nasty review- This has happened a couple of times- bad review  when someone gets fined because they can't act responsibly. I;m sick of it. 

@Tonyia1  "She insisted on coming down during COVID when the amenities were not available". ???

Guests don't get to insist. You are ultimately responsible for whether to accept a booking or not- it's not like it's out of your control. 

Tonyia1
Level 2
Kentucky, United States

Perhaps I shouldn’t have said insist. She was fine with the amenities being closed they simply wanted to come anyway. But then the pool did open and she did not want to follow the rules

Tonyia1
Level 2
Kentucky, United States

It seems I’m not the only one in my community to have this problem since Covid started people seem to think they can just do what they want or else they’ve just gone playing crazy I’m not sure. However since I completely redid my place I have raised the rent because I really wasn’t charging that much before I’m just not greedy. since I have raised the rent I’m not having this problem.