How do you define "Dedicated workspace" ?

Mary1211
Level 5
Somerville, MA

How do you define "Dedicated workspace" ?

I have a bar top in my kitchen with seat/stools, and have indicated my place has a "Dedicated workspace," as it has lots of outlets, and is totally cleared for ease of use, plus the stools.   

I always ask guests before booking to confirm they've read everything, make sure it's the right fit, my place is weird, do they have questions, etc. 

A couple rented my place recently for 9 days, they got there, and we have a different understanding of "Dedicated workspace." 

I've had a lot of work from home couples before and no complaints, also I emphasize my place is quirky / weird and see again, you really need to review the place to make sure it's for you. I've "lost" a lot of bookings by emphasizing my places quirks, which is good! I don't want people to have a bad fit. 

Anyway, current guests now want a near total refund (refunded for 8 out of 9 nights) because we disagree on what constitutes a "Dedicated workspace," even though I have a strict cancel policy. 

I had said I could possibly meet them part way with a refund for nights that get rebooked, and they just ignored that and said I should refund everything - she has back problems so can't work at a not-desk.") 

I guess my sentiment is dedicated workspace is definitely not synonymous with "desk" and my pictures indicated my place clearly had no desk. 

That said I'd love to see what other people think, how they define workspace / what they may do in this situation.

-Mary

34 Replies 34

@Mary1211 

I would just send the guests a message (more like an ultimatum) thru the Airbnb messenger that unless they officially cancel the booking from the Airbnb system, it doesn't matter than they didn't stay - the space is booked by them and the calendar is blocked so no refund will be made. 

You read my mind - I sent them a message about an hour ago that I really can't do anything, including using the space myself, so long as it stands.  Like it's still standing and they'll be entering the 4th day of the res tomorrow.  Her tone is getting very unsufferable thou, "We had to make a snap judgement," "It must feel really good getting 2k for doing nothing, but this money is important to us" etc.  I'm still being friendly, but also firm that this was all resolvable and completely their own choice. 

What's bizarre is that you say they are hosts themselves, yet they seemingly don't understand that you can't rebook the space, thereby creating an opportunity for them to receive a larger refund,  if the dates are blocked? I can't see any advantage to them in not cancelling, and I wonder why they do. I doesn't make any sense. 

@Mary1211

Yeah I just double-checked her profile, she's indeed a super host with over 60 reviews.

I'm baffled at how ignorant she seems to be as to how this all goes, thinking all the money she paid goes to me, Not canceling the reservation, not trying to see if the host can make accommodations before the actual booking even started, etc

@Mary1211  A lot of hosts are bad guests.  I would guess that maybe it was the bar stool issue not the 'dedicated' issue that caused them to freak out.  However, it seems you've done what you can, including offering a desk for them to use.  

It's always interesting how so many guests think it is only they who need the $$, as if all the hosts are super rich and have zero need of any payment.

The only thing here is that this guest is going to be able to leave you a review, so be prepared for a 1 star.  

I wouldn't refund though because since the reservation is already underway technically, she can still leave a review whether you give her zero dollars or all the dollars. 

Since this booking, and a few others, I have put a note about strongly suggesting travelers insurance in my listing details.

I've gotten a decent amount of complaints over stuff that was pretty clearly listed.

Unfortunately after almost a decade of hosting, you start to get a lot of complaints and you start to preempt against them by making note of things people complain about in the house rules or the listing and I do understand it can get a little unwieldy.

Thankfully they calmed down after a bit, and realized that I had the power to refund them or not. I'm pretty sure they basically called Airbnb a bunch of times and Airbnb was like yep you chose to leave, the host met all their obligations.

Thankfully they did not leave a review, thou neither did I.

that said, slow season definitely brings out the worst in guests, and just about every guest has had some weird complaint that was due to their own lack of reading my listing or house rules... And it's even worse during the pandemic, so a bit of a double whammy.

@Mark116  Mary originally posted this back in Nov. I suspect these guests are long gone.

Lisa5829
Level 3
Alexandria, VA

I consider a dedicated workspace to mean a desk or table with a chair that is just used for working.  I used to use my dining room table which I rarely ate at, but I never called it a dedicated workspace. 

Marianna216
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

It's simple. Would YOU be able to comfortably work 8 hours a day, 5 days  a week, at what you call your "dedicated workspace"?

As a digital nomad I am baffled at what hosts are trying to pass off as "dedicated workspaces". It's one thing to sit on a barstool for 20 minutes while eating, and entirely another to sit there for 8 hours straight.

Things hosts should consider are:

1. Is the chair cushioned?
  2. Does the chair have a back?
  3. Does the chair have a wide enough surface to sit comfortably?
  4. Is the desk a good height relative to the chair, or do you have to be hunched over?
  5. Does the internet actually work where the desk is? (if internet is included).

@Marianna216  Good points and list. I do say I have a dedicated workspace, because there is a chair (yes, it has a cushion and a back) and a desktop, but I don't cater to digital nomads because I have no access to high speed, unlimited internet, which I make quite clear in my listing ad.

I have had guests do work off-line and then go to one of the many cafes in town where they can hook up to a better signal if they need to be online for quite awhile with good speeds. I've not had any guests say the chair/desk was uncomfortable.

John6220
Level 2
Belfast, United Kingdom

In the UK and Ireland you’d probably get very few bookings without unlimited high speed wifi access.

Jack1617
Level 3
Vail, CO

I just wrote a whole long response that didn't post, but bottom line is, "dedicated workspace" means a space solely for work, by definition.  I am SICK of hosts saying they have this amenity just to show up in more searches.  Your kitchen counter with stool is NOT a dedicated workspace, it is where you eat a brief meal.  As others have mentioned, for people who truly work from home 8-10 hours a day, the difference between a table with hard chair and a desk with office chair is night and day - it's an amenity, not a given, so stop checking the box if you don't have it to offer.

there's now a foldout desk and fold out chair, though it does seem most people prefer the counter as a standing desk but hey.

Tzivia0
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

I know this is an old thread, but I'm staying in one of these places, billed as having a dedicated workspace, and I'd really like to know: as hosts, you can just say whatever you want, and Airbnb doesn't offer you any kind of guidance and/or definition of what that term means?

I am currently miserable in a VERY hard wooden IKEA chair at a non-dedicated kitchen table that is listed as a "dedicated workspace." Booked for a month and there's no way out... 😞

@Tzivia0 Pretty much yeah. Like people who say their places are on the beach but they're actually 5 kms away 😫. So annoying.

The best safeguard is to check pictures and if there isn't one of the specific amenity that's important to you, ask questions to make sure it will fit your needs.