How do you figure out a price for a weeks stay in the height of the season?

Bonnie81
Level 2
Biddeford, ME

How do you figure out a price for a weeks stay in the height of the season?

We have a reservation request from a neighbor to rent our room to her son and daughter - in law for a week this July when her house is full of company for a family gathering. For a reservation of this length, should we ask for full payment ahead of time? I am concerned that things might change as far as her expected company showing up, and she might not need our extra room, and she will cancel. To re - rent could be problematic and perhaps not fully possible. Also, during the high season, do you give a discount as large establishments do? This is a quandry for me. I want to be fair all around.

Thank you!

3 Replies 3
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Bonnie81  For those periods of time that are highly desireable you can change the nightly rate up to reflect a higher demand.  If that is July for you, then go to your calendar and increase the rate.

Hosts can opt to provide a percentage discount for a weekly booking but you don't have to.  If you do,  Air BNB will take the deduction at the time of the booking.  If you are concerned about cancellation you would need to adjust your cancellation policy before any bookings.

As for payment, Air BNB collects the full amount owed at the time of the booking with two exceptions:  Long term multiple months booking payment and split payment.  Neither of these situations seem to apply in this case.  Look up in the Help Center about these exceptions if you are curious.

So, the other issue for you is that it is a neighbor and you probably have a personal relationship to manage as well as a business relationship.  That is always a problem to balance.  I think you should be open with the neighbor about the income potential for you and your desire to be helpful to them.  

Good luck!!

Hi Linda,

This is so wonderful, to have such a timely response! Thank you!

Actually, we do not know these people, so it does make it easier!

Thank you so much your recommendations!

Yours truly,

Bonnie

Janet443
Level 1
Sacramento, CA

I agree with Linda. I have to say I don't give discounts for a week stay because it's usually a lot to clean after a whole week because they are there so long. Also I have a limited amount of towels so I have to come up with more towels or offer to wash theirs during the stay. I also always offer to change the sheets in the middle of the stay. Most guests need the towels washed. I do meet some very nice people. I have my long stays of 2 weeks and I still don't offer a discount, but my price is very reasonable. Those stays are usually people who come back again. Good luck I'm sure it will work out fine.