How do you file a complaint against a host?

Answered!
Tammy37
Level 4
United States

How do you file a complaint against a host?

Had a confirmed booking, had already paid, then the host said he wanted $100 in cash on arrival as a surcharge.  We disagreed, but eventually cancelled, since we knew he would eventually cancel us out so he could gouge someone else.  

Because we cancelled, we have to eat the service charge.

Two questions:

1) how do we file a complaint against this host?

2) How can we petition to get the host to eat the service charge?

thanks,

Tammy

1 Best Answer
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

If in the future you should ever need to cancel because of a host issue (it will probably never happen again, but anyway...) call Airbnb FIRST and let them cancel it for you, they will take appropriate action and you will not have to claim back the service charge.

Better to do it that way around, since you have to contact them anyway. If a host cancels, you get full refund and maybe even a little travel credit as a perk and comfort from Airbnb.

The host, on the other hand, gets slapped with a fine which is a reason why hosts do not want to cancel!

I wish all hosts just got on with doing the job we are here to do, rather than trying on a little scam on the side.

Better luck next time!

View Best Answer in original post

310 Replies 310

@Sarah1812 You  messed up!

Same thing happened to us  We had a confirmed reservation We had paid and then she wrote and said she had posted the wrong amount.  If we didn't pay, she would cancel. And she did.

It seems that once you cancel a reservation, there is no longer an option to flag a host.  Is this true?  Thank you!

Thanks, very helpful!    Not sure why it is so hard to contact Airbnb, but thanks for being here  : )

Stephen310
Level 2
Portsmouth, United Kingdom

Correct it is really hard to contact them. Unhappy with my experience too. 

Hi Stephen - I am in the middle of a sticky problem with an unscrupulous host. Airbnb is naturally geared to favouring the host. It is completely unregulated. It won't take responsibility for host actions - even though guests actually contract with Aribnb. I work for a litigation funder - and am considering launching  class action against them by guests who have been financially disadvantaged by Airbnb's lack of accountability. Please email me with your contact details if you'd like to participate. It would be no cost to you. Please email me at [Email address hidden as per the community guidelines] - I can provide more details.

Hi Neil, we are in the middle of ugly problem with host thief. Airbnb behaves outrageously, rewarding the host for his fraud. How we can join your class action suit? Your e-mail is hidden from us. [Personal information hidden as per the community guidelines] 

whatsUp

Hi. I am also determined to join in: Samuel ** (messenger) or [Personal information hidden as per the community guidelines] Let us get togethere and get our rights back. Airbnb is sweeping the rental market in their pockets and robbing guests. 

Sonia382
Level 1
California, United States

. I would also like to know how to join the class-action lawsuit. I have also been defrauded by a host and Airbnb seems to be a site where criminals use false listings to laundry money. Please let us know how we can join the class-action and take a collective action because Airbnb does not seem to care.

@Sonia382 how was the listing False? 

Are you still looking to file a civil suit? If so id be interested in joining it and hearing more.  My email is ** if not then no need to reply. But i got burnt by them as well.

**[E-mail address hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Hi Neil,

I am in a similar boat but not monetarily. HAs any consideration been given to  a class action on behalf of customers who have been defamed by Air BNB hosts? 

I am not interested in mopney, I would just like them to be held accountable for havingthe right policies in place and where they do, enforcing those policies.

Their practiices are shameful and should be exposed so that future customers can make informed choices.

waiting in hope...

Mike  

Tammy, I am sure you have learned this by now, don't waste your time. Air BnB has no intention of supporting its customers. They have no interest in your complaint at all. Air BnB's customer service is a joke. A complete joke.  I recently lodged a complaint about a Host who flat out lied in a review. I provided the information and the clause in the Air Bnb 'terms of service' for hosts that had been breached by the host. Air BnB does not care if hosts lie. they do not care about you being put out by any of their mistakes or actions (lies and deciet by hosts) they just care about collecting your money. The faux 'customer service' is so that they can defend their position of 'providing support'. their actions or lack of action on so many issues, complaints and mistakes shows they are not interested.

Best of luck bbut I think, like the resst of us you are flogging a dead horse.

@Michael-and-Oksana0  You're quite correct about the abyssmal policies and atrocious customer service, but that isn't limited to guest complaints- it's their across the board M.O. They actually deal with hosts exactly the same way- refuse to remove guest reviews full of lies, contravene their own terms of service, close cases before an acceptable resolution, penalize hosts for declining a booking request from a guest who has nothing but terrible reviews or who sends them inappropriate messages. 

Let's not pit hosts against guests or vice-versa- the blame for unhappy users who can't get a legimate complaint dealt with responsibly rests solely with their inconsistent and poor customer service which doesn't look at individual cases in any sort of depth.

Hi Sarah,

I disagree. Our Air experience around the world to date has been great up until now. not always 100% but hey we are reasonable people who have overlooked minor issues in the past as we know it is not realistic for the host to fix in the time we are there.  all good.

But it is the Hosts, and unfortunately it does tarnish everyone, when they are prepared to lie about a guest. I am not a host so have no vested intereset  in that side of the coin.   

As you say, Air BnB customer service is also at fault for ot taking action (in line with policies and terms of service). 

I am 100% certain that if I lied about Air BnB they would not be happy and would take action.  why? to protect their (lets face it getting shabbier by the moment) reputation.  But they are not prepared to do the same courtesy for their paying customers.

My only hope is that every customer has this experience and votes with their feet by leaving Air BnB. Surely somone out there can do a better job of this than they are prepared to. 

No other business I know of would condone poeple lying about anything.

As you can see I am totally disappointed by this non response.