How do you take a photo with the airbnb mobile app?!

Answered!
Nikki88
Level 1
Nairobi, Kenya

How do you take a photo with the airbnb mobile app?!

At the risk of sounding stupid - how tdo you take a photo of yourself with the airbnb mobile app? I have a new iphone and when I open the mobile app I cant see where to go to take a photo!

1 Best Answer
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Nikki88,

The only way to take a photo using the App on your phone is as a step in a process, such as the process of uploading a photo of government ID or of validating your ID. You must start these processes by going to the Airbnb website airbnb.com or whatever your country specific one is. Once you start the process on the website you'll be given the option of taking any needed photo via the app on your phone or continuing on your laptop and using the browser to take it via your laptop camera.

If you choose the app option you'll receive an app notification or SMS text message with a link. Tapping on the link will start the phone camera with a photo template overalid on the screen to guide you as to where your head should be in the frame.

For example, I recently clicked to validate my ID, choose the phone app option and immediately received an app notification and SMS text message. I opened the app notification and immediately the front camera started and there was an oval on the screen. I moved the phone so that my head appeared within that oval area and then tapped on the icon to take the photo.

A few hours later I received an email saying that the verification was successful.

Steve.

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Nikki88,

The only way to take a photo using the App on your phone is as a step in a process, such as the process of uploading a photo of government ID or of validating your ID. You must start these processes by going to the Airbnb website airbnb.com or whatever your country specific one is. Once you start the process on the website you'll be given the option of taking any needed photo via the app on your phone or continuing on your laptop and using the browser to take it via your laptop camera.

If you choose the app option you'll receive an app notification or SMS text message with a link. Tapping on the link will start the phone camera with a photo template overalid on the screen to guide you as to where your head should be in the frame.

For example, I recently clicked to validate my ID, choose the phone app option and immediately received an app notification and SMS text message. I opened the app notification and immediately the front camera started and there was an oval on the screen. I moved the phone so that my head appeared within that oval area and then tapped on the icon to take the photo.

A few hours later I received an email saying that the verification was successful.

Steve.

Thanks very much Steve - only problem is that I cannot find the place to enter ID again on the airbnb webiste! I am sorry for being a pain but if you could give me a step by step guide on what to click and where that would be great!

It's ok i found it! Silly me! 🙂

Hello @Nikki88,

That's great. Hope it works out for you.

Steve.

for the life of me i can not get the picture they want

my laptop is too old

my phone is too old

what a stupid system

just have upload picture option

Kate1704
Level 1
Arnold, United Kingdom

I agree. After uploading a profile picture and my my government I.D I find uploading extra pictures of my head excessive and an invasion of privacy. 

I Agree. I have have tried 5 times to get a clear picture. if you can verify my information by sending a text message then allow me to upload. I Love this site . I have used it for the past 4 years. You would think they know me by now. Frustration.

@Steve143 wrote:

Hello @Nikki88,

Steve.

Airbnb did not accepted my clear sharp photo of myself what was a look-a-like as on the passport-photo.

Has the software of airbnb changed since 2017?

So I can cancel my holiday to the USA this year, thanks to airbnb.

How to solve the problem?

Hi Steve, I dont have any icon on that photo template so I cant take selfie . Any suggest?

It looks like this:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1bJ13aBntbW2giNztgj6SY2A6Rydgdr8C

Erik

Soula1
Level 1
Cyprus

does anyone know how to attach a photo on a message using a lap top?

I'm having a similar problem. I cannot start the process mentioned above. Every time I click the link provided in the SMS I'm taken to the Google Play store instead of launching the app - which is installed and otherwise working correctly. Can I start this process from within the app anywhere? I have incorrect listing that I cannot edit.

Terryl1
Level 1
Victoria, Australia

I have a real problem with AIRBNB demanding photo ID off my license as ID theft is a major issue and police advise NEVER to give photos of license, passport etc. I've used  Airbnb before and have excellent reviews from hosts however now I can't complete any booking before providing them with something I've been told by experts not to provide to anyone.

I agree...i think this is dodgy. id fraud is massive. i know they nee to know who we are but equally who are they?? We could be handing our details over to someone who is siphoning off our id for profit elsewhere.