How early is too early to start my day?

Anne531
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

How early is too early to start my day?

I live in my home.  The Airbnb portion is in my lower level.  During work week I leave at 6:30 a.m., and respect my guest by being as quiet as possible.  However on weekends - I wanna get my day going.  Is 8 a.m. too early to be making myself breakfast and other things in my home.  I do try to be quiet and respectful - but wondering how others who live in the home they host manage mornings?  And basically daily living while hosting.

8 Replies 8
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Anne531  the best would be to ask your guests when they usually wake up because it vary from person to person.

Thanks - I might try this.  This is the first summer I have had people sleeping in so late.... lucky them

@Anne531 I limit the use of my kitchen from 7am - 9pm as I've had issues with guests using it at all hours of the night. And I have a quiet time of 11pm-7am for the apartment, which guests are fine with. 

Most of my guests are up earlier than me on the weekend as they are tourists and want to get out and explore. 8am is perfectly acceptable to me to be up and about. And I've never asked guests when they wake up, there is no way I'm tiptoeing around because someone sleeps late (and some of my guests who have been out at night don't get out of bed until mid afternoon!).

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Is your kitchen on the lower level or does noise from the kitchen potentially impact guests?

8am seems reasonably fine unless there is something here that would result in you potentially waking or disturbing guests.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you feel kitchen sounds travel to your guests sleeping area, why not prepare something the night before and then you can carry it and a drink to a living or dining area.

8.00 a.m. sound very early to me for a weekend but perhaps here in Europe we take things more slowly 🙂

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@Anne531 

Its your home!

Obviously you need to be thoughtful and considerate, but theres not kuch piint hosting if you ferl you beed to tiptooe asround your own home.

Im usually awak e at 5.30 am...even weekends.

Id cover it your.listing.

Say you're up and moving about st xxxx times. Uo ure wuiet, but l etting guests know etc etc

Ive been woken much earlier than that in a hotel by people next to me starting up a shower, or banging doors etc

Cheers

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

Hello fellow Minnesotan (@Anne531 😞

I rent out the other side of my duplex, so my situation is similar with getting up for work or starting chores and trying not to be disruptive of my guests (and for them not to disturb me if they're very early risers).

In my listing, I make it clear of the hours for quiet time.  I also point out that this is a duplex, so they aren't expecting a secluded area with guaranteed silence.  While I strive to be considerate of their schedule (going to bed early, getting up late, etc.), they are residing in my house and a regular neighborhood, so life goes on.  People are mowing lawns, kids playing outside, and other daily events inside and outside the house.  

The key is to be upfront about your schedule/lifestyle...especially in your communications with the guests (as mentioned as well by @Rowena29 ).  You have indicated that the kitchen/dining area is shared.  Point out that you are up about 6:30 am on work days and 8 am on weekends milling about.  Guests are then on notice about the potential for noises/activities prior to their arrival.   If they can't handle your structure, perhaps a hotel is a better option.

They are in your space.  Live your life...guests can adapt or choose another location.  Obviously the previous guests were happy with your listing, so keep hosting.

Yep @Gregory87 

EXACTLY what I was trying to say - you were much more eloquent.

I've just read back my post - a stunning example of why I should not attempt to type anything via my phone