How far ahead to book is too far?

Paul158
Level 1
Twickenham, United Kingdom

How far ahead to book is too far?

I am planning to travel to Australia for the England Cricket Tour in December 2017 to January 2018. 

So we are talking about 18 months from now.

I was intending to visit Perth; then Melbourne over Christmas; and Sydney (New Year period).

I was intending to book Bed and Breakfast in Perth and Melbourne; but renting an apartment in Sydney.

This is going to be a very busy time – due to the time of the year and the perennial interest among English Cricket followers in travelling to Australia.

I have made a few tentative enquiries, but have been told to enquire again nearer the time. However, for a number of reasons I am keen to firm up my bookings as soon as I can.

My question is – as a general guide – how far ahead do AirBNB-ers accept bookings?

8 Replies 8
Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Airbnb's booking window is set for a maximum of 12 months ahead, I think you will probably find that a whole load of host will not even accommodate 17 months ahead. A lot can happen in 12 months and if a host has to cancel a reservation they are severely penalised by Airbnb.

Perhaps filter your search with your specific dates, who knows you may find some listings but I'm pretty sure that if you do, it will be limited. You best bet would probably a hotel or B&B if you are eager to secure booking this far ahead, you will also have a lot more options.

All the best,

Ama

Actually, a host can cancel anytime if they are instant book without penalization.  

?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Since you are travelling from so far away I can understand you want to nail the plans, but the hosts will have vacancies for a long time yet. I suggest making your wishlists according to your travel plans and as soon as the 12 month window opens fire out your requests.

Welcome to Australia in 2017!

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Paul158, Well Paul I certainly agree with other contributers that the timeframe my be a concern for some Airbnb hosts. especially those who may be in a temporary situation-eg renters or do not own/control their premises. 

However, for seasoned hosts such as myself, who own and conrol our premises and have no intention of ceasing their Airbnb activities, a booking that far ahead is not a concern, in fact it is a bonus.

I have had many bookings of 12 months in advance and if the dates are open, then .... its a green light for any suitable guests.

Just be sure and do your due dilgence on your hosts. You want to avoid/be very cautious about booking with any host who has a track record of cancelling.

New hosts may be fabulous and great when you get to the time of your visit, but not yet able to display a history of commitment to their bookings if they are only just beginning. Again these things need to be considered, ask the host questions to build your knowledge before booking.

I had an experience last year of the host cancelling an overseas booking that had been in place for months. The window of opportunity to re-book was very short and a time of serious anxiety and disappointment as I realised this vulnerability in the AirBnb model.

Nonetheless, as there were plenty of hosts in the location I did get a replacement venue, with a newbie and it turned out to be fabulous. I was so pleased with where I was located, the host was an absolute delight! and the tariff was even better than at the original booking. 

As long as your flights go ahead as planned, no doubt Airbnb will have plenty of hosts to place you as you travel to thes popular destinations.

I hope this is encouraging to you and others and your response is welcomed.

Best regards, Christine.

Paul158
Level 1
Twickenham, United Kingdom

Thanks to everyone for replies: I have never used Airbnb before, so proceeding with caution. Many thanks to all. Some useful pointers for me there!

I appreicate this also- I am looking in NYC for next Sept (11 months from now) and i am really hoping more open up, seems like a very limited supply of airbnb's where we want to be at the price we are willing to pay.

Karl62
Level 1
Tallinn, Estonia

https://www.tnooz.com/article/best-time-book-airbnb/ 
But don't book too far ahead as some of the people haven't managed to put their room up in AirBnB yet. I'd say 1-1.5 months ahead is great (except there is some big event going on).