How far do extenuating circumstances extend?

How far do extenuating circumstances extend?

To summarize, the guest placed a reservation for two. A day after they were scheduled to arrive, they canceled the reservation because a friend who was also traveling to Branson (but not staying with us) had an accident. I understand the policy of extenuating circumstances. We had been in contact with our guest and know the situation. The person that had the accident was not staying with us and was not a family member of our guest. We do not understand why we are being penalized for something that was not related to our reservation. We were NEVER alerted that there was going to be a refund. In fact we were sent a link to leave the guest a review as they had stayed with us. We are very unhappy with this situation. We understand that accidents happen, however this was not with our guest, family member, or anyone staying at our home. If guest can place a reservation and cancel days into the reservation because a friend had an issue, it does not seem like a very reliable system for hosts. We need to know who to talk to. We did discuss this matter by email with someone at airbnb and was basically told that this is the way it is.

UPDATE:  Customer "service" just sent me a message that the person that had an accident was close to the guest and could "probably be considered" like family.  Yep.  So, if a host wants to cancel at the last minute on a guest, can we say a friend that is like family had an issue and we need to cancel without penalty?

30 Replies 30

@Sherry114 Airbnb's extenuating circumstances policy overrides the host's cancellation policy. It doesn't matter what policy you choose. 

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Christopher375 my guest cancelled under extenuating circumstances using a fake death certificate for his mother (wrong on so many levels, I would not know where to begin). And I was able to prove it was fake and very easily so, no Sherlock skills needed. Still a full refund to guest. You can claim pretty much anything. Bad hair day claim and a note from a hairdresser would do

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Susan17 

Justice is done. Congratulations to your friend.

The arrogance of that last case manager "I wanted to take this opportunity to encourage you to check out our hosting standards, a set of guidelines.... a positive and consistent travel experience.. "

If Airbnb consistently applied their terms then we would already have the encouragement directed in the correct direction.

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 

I wasn't going to add this screenshot, but as you mention the bare-faced cheek of the CX response, here's the reply from the host...  😉

20190821_142133.png

@Susan17 I love your friend's clapback. That CX rep was breathtakingly rude and patronizing.

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Susan17 that CS rep was soooo rude. The comment is really unrelated to the issue too.

Kira32
Level 10
Canary Islands, Spain

@Christopher375 

I once had a guest reservation but the guest didn't even had to blink to get a refund for his cancellation.

This guest didn't even had a reason(not even an excuse) to cancel. 

Kira

@Christopher375    "

How far do extenuating circumstances extend?"    My impression is that despite the extenuating circumstance policy, CS are told to bat for the guest and batter the host into submission whenever possible.  I read a post on here that the policy allegedly extended to guests getting lost because they failed to read the directions and turned back home.

omg...! (My eyes just got wider and wider with shock!)

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Christopher375 

its a crock of tihS

I had a guest have her course postponed and asked my (host) for a part refund . She cancelled via airbnb and airbnb gave her a full refund. Because she felt safe been in this city. Airbnb are allowing all guests to exit bookings free for August (in HK only).  

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

@Ian-And-Anne-Marie0 @Alexandra316 @Mike-And-Helen0 @Cormac0 @Christopher375 @Briar1 @John2940 @Marie82 @Emilia42 @Flavia195 @Branka and Silvia1

Latest update to my friend's case that I posted about earlier in this thread ... 

So the host never received the payout of €433 that the Case Manager said she was returning to his account. He phoned Airbnb. CX agent started to "explain" the EC policy. Host said that he's not getting into all that again, he'd already been through it and the CM had accepted he was correct, and had stated that the payment would be returned to him. CX agent said, "Well I can't see anywhere on the thread where it says that, or where it says you'd be paid out"

So the host checked back, and Airbnb has deleted the entire thread where that conversation had taken place. 

Luckily, the host - being well wise to Airbnb's underhand, sleeveen ways - had already screenshotted the entire conversation that CX are denying ever happened, and could send them the screenshots. They're now "looking into it". I'll keep you posted. 

****Word of advice to everyone... screenshot every interaction you ever have with Airbnb CX, no matter how innocuous or unimportant it may seem at the time. You never know when you might need them as proof, or to back up what you say. 

This is not a one-off occurrence, or one of their infamous  "glitches" -  I've personally had several Airbnb support convos deleted from my inbox, and have been screenshotting every communication with them for years now. Also, there are hundreds of posts across various STR-related groups and forums from other hosts who've had their communications with CX deleted by Airbnb too. 

Flavia195
Level 10
Grande Prairie, Canada

@Susan17  thanks Susan, the advice is so precious. I already do screenshot of some important conversation with anyone. I have learned way before. I do not trust words. I always avoid conversation by phone with Airbnb. I do not trust ABB. 

1st -The charge us service fee for 24/7 service and they never answer before couple of days.

2nd - ABB math is way different than our math. 

I show you guys the daily example. 

They steal our money, do not protect us, do not collect our damage deposit and show up only guest has a trouble. 

Someone can explain to me which kind of math is this?

Flavia195
Level 10
Grande Prairie, Canada

BFA214D1-A94B-488C-B35E-1493919043EB.jpeg

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Susan17 

Neither guests nor hosts are wanting preferential treatment, just treatment which is fairly applied and which is clearly stated in the Terms and Conditions and which the whole community has agreed to. 

This is just maverick.