How much does a co host get paid?

Answered!
Chad-and-Noel0
Level 2
New York, NY

How much does a co host get paid?

Hi,

My husband and i have a listing but we are going to be very bussy in the future months and we were thinking in getting someone to co host our place while we are busy or out of town?

Our question is;

How much does a co host gets paid? 

Thanks in advance !

1 Best Answer
Susan466
Level 5
New Jersey, United States

That's up to you and your co-host to decide, and depends upon how much work they are doing for you.  Rates seem to vary from 7% - 50%.
Questions to discuss:
Are they handling all the bookings, replies, emails, etc for you?
Are they handling the cleaning?  What about simple maintenance?

Are they on-call for the guests?

You can pay your co-host a straight percentage and keep the cleaning fee (if you charge one), or give them the clening fee and a (usually lower) percentage of the booking fee.

We pay our co-host a straight 40% (his preference) and we keep the cleaning fee to offset that cost.  He handles all the cleaning, bookings, emails, phone calls, everything except paying the taxes, etc., which we obviously have to take care of. 

Hope that helps.

View Best Answer in original post

124 Replies 124
Welcome0
Level 10
Hicksville, NY

I am planning on becoming a Co Host for a very good friend of mine. She will host, clean, respond to problem inquiries; supply all products, but she is frequently at work.  I'll only help her with setting up the account; do all the bookings; maintain the calander, respond to emails, but serve as a back up.  I only hope it doesn't get comingled with my own Airbnb listing. 

Will she also see the calander, emails, bookings? 

Edgar62
Level 2
Saskatoon, Canada

I see a lot of similar questions being asked, without a response:

How do I only pay a co-host for reservations s/he is involved in?  For example, I only use a co-host when I'm away on vacation, so I only wish to pay him/her during that time.  The rest of the time I do everything.

As far as payment amount, I'm leaning towards paying 15-20% of a reservation, plus the cleaning fee.  The co-host would answer the majority of guest concerns, and communicate with me as needed.

Thank you,

Edgar 

Edgar, I assume you need someone to be able to step in at a moments notice. Someone who is responsible and trustworthy. You are not going to pay them piecemeal for work done for each booking, but pick a % that will be acceptable to both of you year round. Not easy to find someone with all these qualifications.  This Co Host should get at least  25% to 30%.

I suggest you make an arrangement with this Co Host to assume certain responsibilities for all bookings to keep them as part of the team. At the beginning, don't assume it will get done unless they are earning some revenue. Who will handle the calendar? Acceptance? Update listing regularly. 

Correspondence with guests and Airbnb? Follow ups? Reviews? Greeting of guests? Who will do the cleaning?  Laundry? Preparation of Airbnb before guests arrival? Inventory? Buying supplies? 

Thanks for your thoughtful response, I really appreciate it.

I think we're working with different assumptions.  You're assuming that all co-hosts want more involvement.  I assume the opposite: most co-hosts only want to be involved when needed.  

Regardless of our assumptions, I have found a co-host who will do it according to my assumptions.  I only need assistance 2-3 times a year, while I'm on vacation: February, May, and sometime in the summer: a maximum total of 25 days a year.  The rest of the year I can handle.  This arrangement is precisely so that the person doesn't feel overwhelmed, having to do it on a regular basis.  I've done it htis way previously, informally, and my aim now is to make it more "official" so that the co-host doesn't just have to rely on "my word" (ie - earnings) but on an open/transparent access of information.  Everything is above-board.

Most bookings will have been made in advance so that it's more a matter of "seeing them through" than accepting new bookings.  The co-host would primarily be responsible for welcoming new guests, answering inquiries, emergencies, and cleaning/laundry afterwards.

I would do calendar before I leave, and while I'm away it would be a joint effort.

Regarding reviews - good point, I hadn't thought about that factor.  I would do them, relying on the co-host's feedback, although I wouldn't be averse to the co-host doing them.

I appreciate the feedback re: 25-30% pay scheme.  I was astonished to find out that virtually no one else has posed the question of pay scheme, which is why I asked it.  Again, very helpful, thank you.

@Welcome0  I have so many questions, I have been managing/co-host for three or fours years, I do everything, my owners collect the money, I do not think I am charging enough. I would love to talk to you, if you have time next week. My number is 941.356.2262

My co-host is on call for guests and works with me to navigate using Airbnb. We are kind of learning together.

The cohost does not yet respond to guest, nor cleans, or nor does any maintenance.

He helps me vet and find maintenance/cleaning  services as needed.

I want him to weigh in on what is reasonable because he is really great.

Another thing not much profit at this point. Just enough to cover the primary expenses with a bit left over maintenance and cleaning.

What do you think?

it depends on what the co-host does.

I'm new to co hosting but was looking at turnkey or a prop management company to hel me and they are TRUE businesses so I feel a co host should never get more than 15% plus cleaning fee.  It shouldn't be a job on par with an actual company so I feel Edgar is thinking in a fair way.

@Lisa75  Hi Lisa, I am not sure I agree with you, I may not have a brick and mortar company, but I go way beyond what a management company does. I am on call 24/7 for our guests. I go on vacation I am answering text messages and the list goes on. 

I am hiring a co host to just handle emails and text response, I do cleaning and all else but like you I do not know what is the fair pay for something like that,

any suggestion on this?

Hi all!

I just interviewed the company Turn Key. They only charge 18% to manage STRs. Ck them out.

Cheers!

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You can set up two listings, one when you co host and one where you do not.

Paying through ABB is just a conveniance, not sure I would be that bothered for an occasional situation.

David

Thanks David.

What are your thoughts on the 25-30% pay scheme?

Impossible to answer, I was asked once and by the time I worked out what it would take, and how long vs what was being charged I realised it could be 100% for a one nighter, may have made sence if they were weekly guests.

If you have a regular pattern a percentage may be logical, say all your booking were weekly. A friend has a two night minimum as by the time he pays a co host, fee per booking, one night is not economic.

David