How much does a co host get paid?

Answered!
Chad-and-Noel0
Level 2
New York, NY

How much does a co host get paid?

Hi,

My husband and i have a listing but we are going to be very bussy in the future months and we were thinking in getting someone to co host our place while we are busy or out of town?

Our question is;

How much does a co host gets paid? 

Thanks in advance !

1 Best Answer
Susan466
Level 5
New Jersey, United States

That's up to you and your co-host to decide, and depends upon how much work they are doing for you.  Rates seem to vary from 7% - 50%.
Questions to discuss:
Are they handling all the bookings, replies, emails, etc for you?
Are they handling the cleaning?  What about simple maintenance?

Are they on-call for the guests?

You can pay your co-host a straight percentage and keep the cleaning fee (if you charge one), or give them the clening fee and a (usually lower) percentage of the booking fee.

We pay our co-host a straight 40% (his preference) and we keep the cleaning fee to offset that cost.  He handles all the cleaning, bookings, emails, phone calls, everything except paying the taxes, etc., which we obviously have to take care of. 

Hope that helps.

View Best Answer in original post

124 Replies 124
Tylor2
Level 3
Surprise, AZ

So bare with me because this is going to be a long one.

so I cohost in Phoenix as well as own the housekeeping company that all owners use. I typically charge 20% if I’m doing minimum work like updating photos, quick responses, and price adjustments due to events in the area at the time (spring training and cardinals games). I charge 40% if I manage literally everything from check-ins to on call for guest issues. I still charge my cleaning fee on top of anything because I have a staff that has to be paid. You can go anywhere in between depending on the agreement you have with your co-host. 

Now we move onto what I’m seeing in the comment how some people are saying they will handle some booking from start to finish but not others. My best advice is PayPal, you can not designate that your co-host gets paid for certain bookings and not others so I have it set up with a few people where my cleaning fee is the only thing sent to they bank and they PayPal my % to me for the ones I do. I still have access to the listing and calendar but we set the % to 0 and go on the honor system.

Tylor Pate

50% sounds about right for a Co-Host doing almost everything. That should also include cleaning since that is your financial interest. I give my Co-Host only 15% for taxes, heating and electric. Thus far, it has worked out fine. 

These percentages are nuts for hosts who have mortgages and pay all utilities etc.  Seems like a lot of co hosts want way too much off someone elses hard work and owning a home.  50% is way more than an actual company that does absolutely everything including provideing dish soap, towels, linens etc.  Dont listen to 50%!  Be resonable around 20-25 for a fellow airbnb person plus cleaning fee - or do per booking and not percentage at all.   No greed wagon please.... Airbnb wasn't created off of greed.

@Lisa75   You really think 50% of a booking is too much to pay a co-host who does EVERYTHING? All the owner does is pay the utilities? Your mortgage has nothing to do with it- that is something you took on and has to do with your financial investment in the property. 

I'd say 50% is too little to pay a co-host who is essentially the host, but for the fact that they don't actually own the property. As I see it, you're advocating for a greed wagon on the part of the host. And I say this as a home-owner and host, not as a co-host.

Hi Tylor,

Let me please know how did you find out the listings' owners? 

I suppose if you provide the whole service as co-hoste 40-50% is fire price.

Sergey

I am trying to determine what an appropriate co-hosting payment should be. I plan to discuss it with my co-host as well.

I have heard of rates varying from 7% - 50% . Some as high as 75%

I think the following question might be important questions to discuss:
Is the co-host handling all the bookings, replies, emails, etc for you?
Is the co-host handling the cleaning? 

Is the co-host handling simple maintenance?

Are they on-call for the guests?

I handle all the cleaning (I pay a cleaning company), bookings, and emails.

My co-host is on call for guests questions, once they arrive, when I am not available. My co-host does not do cleaning, maintenance, bookings or initial replies. However, we do discuss hosting requests and he helps guide me on what to lookout for when adhering to Airbnb guidelines.

I thought 10% would be reasonable under the circumstances as there is very little profit. Enough to cover cleanings, maintenance, and supplies. I handle most of the maintenance myself as it relates to small repairs or installations around the home. I pay contractors to repair or install what I am not equipped to handle. 

What do you think? 

I thought 10% might be reasonable.

Maria1392
Level 3
Ketchum, ID

I just joined this conversation, my husband and I host a airbnb in Ketchum, Idaho, I am also the co-host. We have plans to spend the summer in Europe and Argentina. We host a studio that is on the bottom floor of our townhouse, we keep the 2nd and 3rd floors for our use. 

This summer we are planning on renting out our portion of the house. We have been very succesful with our little studio and I have no intentions of giving it up for the summer. I want to manage it from affar and may be give the cleaning and up-keeping to our tennants and pay them a %. 

Does anybody have any better ideas? My husband thought of leaving it 100% to the tennants! NO WAY JOSE! That would have meant that they got paid to live in a gorgeous townhouse, and we wouldn't even make enough $$ from the rent to pay the mortgage! 

María 

@Maria1392

Sounds like you will be long term renting and I not conviced ABB is the best route. Do you have somebody to take care of any local management issues?

David

@David126 may be I did not make myself clear, while we are aWay we are renting our home, I am planning to manage the arbnb studio from afar and I was wondering if having the tennants of our home managing the up-keep of the studio was a good idea, or just having or cleaning lady do it....we were lo be gone for 2 1/2 months. And should I pay them a set fee or having them clean it and paying them the cleaning fee, which is 50 a stay.

@Maria1392

Personally I would have a cleaner co-host with you or a trusted friend. If you ask the tenants to do it you are asking people you do not know to not only be responsible for paying you what they owe you on time but also manage a studio with a high turn over rate. This would also mean they need to be available to the guest staying in the studio whenever something happens as you would. It’s also worth noting that if you have to meet guests with a key then your renter would need to plan their life around when you have booked guests downstairs. If you also require they let in the housekeeping staff that’s a whole new set of obligations too. You would be leaving yourself at the mercy of your tenants and it just seems like a huge risk to take unless financially you can afford to cover yourself if it crashes and burns.

Tylor Pate

HI Tylor,

How can I contact you to do co-hosting for my brand-new house/property in Litchfield Park, AZ?

thanks,

Judy

Ann534
Level 2
Playa del Carmen, Mexico

Hi Judy, are you still searching for a cohost for your AZ property?

Robin42
Level 3
Newberg, OR

Tylor,

I appreciate your candor and expertise. A friend has asked me to manage her home 100% when she moves out of state. I would list it as my own because I would be competely responsible. Is this feasible? If so, what's a fair price to charge her and is there a market for me to do the same for other owners? I'd prefer being completely responsible as the sometimes-sometimes-off sounds like a mix-up waiting to happen.

Robin, If your friend  owns the place, she will continue to pay taxes, insurance, utilities. It is only fair and legally proper,  if she got at least 25% to cover these bills and you would get 75% as a Co-Host. Of course, the bulk of the work would get done by you, but keep it legal. You might even have to pay the owner a sum of money for products, househous goods,  etc. She needs to make a profit as well. It could be 30/70%.

@Welcome0

Those numbers sound back to front. Why would a property owner do it for so little?

David