How much information do you insist on a guest giving about themselves when they have no references ?

Jenny847
Level 2
St Lawrence, Jersey

How much information do you insist on a guest giving about themselves when they have no references ?

I am wondering what other hosts do when they are renting a spare room in their home (I am a single female renting out my spare bedroom). I sometimes get requests from someone with no references and nothing written on their profile. I always ask for more information but sometimes get a two sentence reply. In cases like this I turn the guest down. I do feel they should realise I need to know more about them before giving them a key to my home as I am at work all day. How do other hosts feel about this? I don't like refusing people but also feel that having explained why I need a longer introductory message and then still not getting much of a response in return I don't feel like taking the booking. Is just saying " I am a student at York university and will be arriving on 6th September at 3 'o' clock" enough?

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I have standard questions I ask as part of my IB process @Jenny847 

1. Who is travelling with you?

2. What brings you to my city?

3. What made you choose my place?

4. What time are you planning to arrive about?

I also only take guests with photo ID and have the box ticked so I only accept guests who provide a photo of themselves.

@Jenny847 like @Helen3 I have similar questions for my instant book guests. I also require that guests have their ID done, have a profile photo and have positive reviews from other hosts.

I still get the occasional booking request from new guests without reviews. If they fail to provide me with any information about themselves I send them a message that airbnb is based on trust (ha!) and as I am a hosts inviting strangers into my home I need some information about them, that a good profile will help them get bookings in future & why they are visiting. If they aren't forth coming with more information, then I decline the booking.

And just saying " I am a student at York university and will be arriving on 6th September at 3 'o' clock" is definitely not enough for me. I'd be declining a booking like that & telling the requester that they would be better off in more impersonal accommodation like a hostel or hotel.

Thanks for thanks for that  reply Helen. I did decline the booking but felt very guilty.  I do do exactly as you suggested but sometimes guests still don't say much about themselves (especially the young ones I find despite my explaining why I need to know more about them etc etc). It's reassuring to know others like yourself have the same happen now and again. I am on Instant book but  still seem to get a lot of requests minus references.

Thanks for the response which so answered my question.