How often do you really get "bad eggs"

Heather1103
Level 2
Ann Arbor, MI

How often do you really get "bad eggs"

Hello! This is my first time posting and I actually haven't even listed my property yet.  We have just started the process of purchasing a lake house and we're planning on doing just a few bookings a year to help with some costs. My question is,  I see some scary stories of guests being aggressive, having parties, not being respectful of property and then airbnb not following through with help when these issues arise.  

Just looking for some experiences on how often you've actually gotten such a bad guest and is there really not much help for us when that happens.  

48 Replies 48
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Heather1103 I would work on the following basis

1) Hosts having a bad time are highly likely to advertise it if only to get help from the community. Hosts having a good time are highly unlikely to come to the community and crow about it (although one or two do)

2) You are responsible for your own destiny. You can reduce your risk by

a) Not allowing Instant Book especially if you do not live on-site

b) Have a minimum stay of a week or so (definitely do not allow one nighters)

c) If you do not live on-site then invest in cameras for the outside to monitor guests arrival

d) Charge a sensible rate for what you will provide - Do not lowball the pricing or you may lowball the guests

e) Do not leave personal stuff especially with sentimental value in the property

f) Be prepared to remove guests at the first sight of trouble - Thinking ahead as to how you will do this in your jurisdiction is key

g) Do not allow guests to become tenants

I am sure fellow hosts will add to the list - For what its worth we do allow instant book and have a 3 night minimum stay but we also live next door to our holiday flat!

@Mike-And-Jane0 ...Thank you so very much for taking the time to respond and with such great detail.  Everything you suggested makes complete sense and we are 2.5 hours away so we definitely need to take more precautions and the camera is a wonderful idea!! 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Heather1103  I would say cameras is the most important thing for hosting a place remotely.  Get them.  Disclose them.  And make a point of telling your guests about them to deter bad behavior.  I tend to think a lower minimum number of people allowed also reduces the chances for negative outcomes.  

Also, never allow a 1 night rental.  But, whatever you do, always assume that Airbnb will not be of any help whatsoever.  In the rare case that Airbnb will do the right thing in a timely manner, consider it like an early Christmas gift, but nothing to be relied on.

ETA...you will also want to put in the house rules that de-activating or otherwise interfering with the cameras is cause for immediate termination of the rental and a XX fee.  You will probably never be able to collect the fee, but it may be again a deterrent to prevent people from damaging the cameras, because that has happened to hosts before. 

@Mark116 Do you mean a higher minimum number of guests? I'm not sure lower makes sense to me.

@Mike-And-Jane0 No, I mean lower.  A property that allows 10 or 12 people is already basically allowing a party v. if you only allow say 6 people, the chances of things going poorly are reduced. 

@Mark116 So actually you mean a lower MAXIMUM of guests. I was thinking a booking for 1 guest if the place holds 6 indicates a party is likely to be held.

@Mark116  great advice Mark!! Thank you so much. I never really thought about how important the camera would be. But it is a great idea!!

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Heather1103 

There will always be bad eggs. But honestly, I think when looking back in hindsight, it can almost always be said: "I saw that coming." You have to set up your listing to attract the type of guests you want. Use the Airbnb settings and restrictions to your advantage.  Establish your policies and stick to them. Set the tone that this is your business and you are in charge.

Thank you so much @Emilia42 !!

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Heather1103     Welcome to the wonderful world of Airbnb, Heather.   😉    I second everything  Mike and Mark have already said.  Whether you host remotely or not, a minimum stay is definitely a good idea; we are onsite hosts and have a two-night minimum requirement.  In  your situation,  a week is probably a good idea--especially, since you live pretty far away.  You will also need to decide whether you are going to do the turnarounds yourself, or if you want to hire someone.  Either way, make sure that you have a cleaning fee that is adequate.  I suggest to look at several listings in the area that are similar to yours and compare fees, etc; that should give you a good idea.

I also second the cameras.   Get a good system that you can access via your phone.  We use the "Arlo Pro" which does not require a hub and has superior, color night vision as well as some other great features we find very useful.

Definitely "NO" on the Instantbook--no matter how much Airbnb tries to shame/bully/entice you into turning it on. Vet your guests carefully.   Airbnb has made it very difficult for us hosts to do so.   Ask a lot of questions, follow your gut instinct; if something doesn't sound right, decline.

Decide if you want to allow pets.  There are lots of discussions in this forum about the pros and cons--just be aware, that if you do allow them, that Airbnb does NOT cover pet damages, and it will be up to you to  try and collect any money for damages  from your guest.

Lastly, a good set of house rules is a must.  Post them in your listing.  Place them visibly in your property.  Remind your guests of them.  Again, browse local listings and get inspired.  And finally, visit this forum regularly and don't be afraid to ask any questions.   There are a lot of wonderful folks here who are always happy to help.   😉

Thank you so much @Ann489...what great points and I will definitely check out the camera you suggested!! I was definitely going to have a minimum night stay...I really prefer to do the turnaround myself and if we only do one maybe 2 stays a month, I think it's doable for me to just make the drive so I can verify everything myself.  4 days or more is worth the drive.  I don't know that anything less would be worth a whole day spent for me.  

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Heather1103All advice so far has been great: I would just add a couple of additional things. 

In addition to a camera(s), you might want to invest in a device like Party Squasher that measures the number of electronic devices onsite. Cameras can be covered or otherwise tampered with: you can hide Party Squasher behind a locked door and the guest won't even know it's there. 

If you're two and a half hours away, maybe enlist the help of a friend who can pop by and check on things or help with minor issues if anything arises. 

Also, don't host people who are local to you. A stand-alone property + local renters is almost certainly going to be a party. 

Aside from a few not-so-great experiences that were annoying rather than horrifying, I've had nothing but good guests with Airbnb. I do use Instant Book, and I host a lot of new guests without reviews. My biggest tip would be: learn to trust your gut. If you're getting a bad vibe from a potential guest, don't be afraid to say no. Know your own rules and boundaries and stick to them. People who try and push them right out of the gate are going to be nothing but trouble. 

Good luck! 🍀

I can't believe all of the tools there are!  I've never even heard of such a thing, but that is a very neat tool to have. And what a great point about people that live near the area! Thank you so much @Alexandra316 

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Heather1103 

You also need to decide if your pricing will vary with number of guests. We were advised not to as the property 'costs' the same whether it has 2 or 6 guests in it. Others disagree BUT as an off-site host not charging by number of guests means that you don't have too worry if 2 or 4 or 6 turn up. 

By the way IGNORE all Airbnb pricing recommendations they are stupidly low and you will get the wrong type of guest and/or lose money if you follow them.