How often to change bedding on longer stays?

Sara169
Level 2
Sheepwash, United Kingdom

How often to change bedding on longer stays?

Hi, 

Up until now my longest booking has been for 3 nights but soon I have an 11 night booking.  Should I give the guests clean bedding half way through their stay?  And how many times should I refresh the towels?

Thank you

14 Replies 14
Renata-and-Colin0
Level 7
Paraty, Brazil

Hi, for our bed and breakfast room we change the sheets and towels every 3 days.

for the self contained cottage, we usually leave an extra set of sheets and towels if they are staying more than 3 nights.

Deb29
Level 9
San Mateo, CA

@Sara0

I think all hosts take different approaches.

I like to leave a change of towels and linens for each person regardless of the length of the stay.

Deb

Deb have you had anyone stay for a month? My first guest is arriving soon for a month. They have the whole apartment to use. Do I just supply adequate towels and bedding for their stay or do I go in and clean and change the bedding etc?

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

I had a 3 week stay.  We agreed that I would deliver a compete set of towels and bedlinen each Sunday, and they would hand me the used ones for washing.  They changed the bed themselves and I didn't clean.  However, I do make it clear in my listing that it is 'self-catering' and that I don't clean during stays.  I do provide the equipment they need to clean themselves of course.  As a Brit of a certain age I would assume that yours works the same way, but an overseas or inexperienced guest might have different expectations.

PS I've just seen below that your flat has a washe/dryer.  In that case I would just provide 1 extra set of everything and leave them to it!

Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

I provide a laundry basket and will wash whatever is put in it daily.  I suggest to guests I will wash whatever towels are in the basket daily, and that I will wash sheets once per week without being asked to/without them needing to strip the bed.

Michael1448
Level 2
United States

I am looking for a rule of thumb when dealing with changing of  linens and towels on long stays. Is it un-heard of to replace all linens and towels after 10 days for a 30 plus days stay? Does the frequency of change be more frequent?

Keep in mind only one cleaning fee is charged for the entire stay.

I’m looking for an answer to this too. I’ve someone coming for a month. They have the whole flat to themselves and there’s a washer/ dryer for them to use. Do I just leave adequate towels and a change of bed or. Do I go in and clean?

Roberta2
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I think it is up to you. I rent a room in my house, and have quite a few students staying to 6-8 weeks.

They get a huge discount, so I usually, after 5 days, give them a set of towels, and ask them to give me the used ones to wash.

I also give them a clean set of linen, and ask them to leave the dity ones in the basket, so I can wash - they do the changes themselfs. After that, they have 2 sets, and change and leave the dirty ones out when they feel like it. Usualy once a week.

With that, I also say - I am washing your dark towels, do you have anything dark that you would like to wash with? With that, I minimize the washing up.

If I was renting out the full house, I would probably arrange to come in once a week to pick up the dirty towels / linnen - with that, I would also have an excuse to check on the place, but only with the guest approval.

Eileen0
Level 9
London, United Kingdom

I have a cleaner who comes in on Mondays, so if I have guests staying then and longer than just a few days, I will ask the cleaner to change the bedding in the guest room.   For the few times, I have had long term guests, the sheets will get changed approx once a week.  I change the sheets on my own bed once a week, so I figure that's ok for my guests.

Zolly0
Level 3
East Fremantle, Australia

I have quite a few stays of longer than 1 week. I describe it as a serviced apartment, and I clean and change linen once every 7 days (time agreed with guest). There is no extra charge for this. Only the cleaning fee at the end of the stay.

Jan557
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

I think this is the key. You should make clear what you provide in your T&Cs. I make it clear that the “cleaning charge” is for the end cleaning and that if they wish to have my cleaner change their beds with fresh linen during their stay then there is a modest charge for this. I have to do this. My cleaning charge is an actual cost charge ( ie no profit) and guests who stay a week or more get a substantial discount so I can’t afford to have my cleaner doing extra changes for free!

Karol397
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Good tip.

I’ve amended my listing now to state a small fee for guests who wish to have housekeeping during their stay. This is for short stays of 7 nights or less. 

Karol397
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I came here as I’m in a quandary with cleaning too 😵💫

I have a serviced apt and I was intending - for bookings less than 7 nights no clean/change of bed linen/towels. Longer bookings of 7 nights +, a weekly clean and change of linen/towels. 

This is bearing in mind there’s only one cleaning fee on Airbnb platform - cleaners charge a min of 2 hrs. 

There is a washer/dryer at the apartment. However I have stated for guests to use their own detergent. 

After reading comments, I’m now thinking to leave a 1 change of bed linen and towels for each bed. And only perform a clean for stays every 7 nights 🤔 

Actually the clean for longer stays is not necessarily for the guest, but for the upkeep of my apt.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Sara169

A companion of mine, we occasionally travel together for business purposes and we bring our own towels, my companion is quite happy to use his only towel for a week without a second thought.

So, I had a spare apartment, which I use for Airbnb and he came to stay for eleven days in which he used a fresh towel and sometimes two every day, why? because of course they were there stacked in a large pile so he helped himself.

So, my advice to you is, whatever the norms are in your house follow them and supply accordingly, if you change your bed linen once a week, do so for your guests, the same with towels please note if you over supply, they be cleaning their shoe with them and the floor and counter tops.