How safe are we as hosts?

Mersedeh2
Level 1
Stockholm, Sweden

How safe are we as hosts?

I became a host long time ago, 2016. I trusted Airbnb and left my own home to “strangers” without even asking for an ID. This was Ok, and I always felt safe since I “knew” about Airbnb host protection policy.

Until my last guest checkout; he destroyed my newly renovated apartment, he even broke into our private room and damaged our stuff like the drawer. He smoked heavily inside the apartment and made a smell I can bot get rid of!

what Airbnb did? 
-left me on the phone for 45 to even answer 

- they told me I can hire a company to ONLY remove the smell and thy will pay by seeing the receipt. I send a receipt and THEY DEDUCE THE “CLEANING FEE” from it!! 
-They don’t pay ANYTHING for the damages that will definitely cost me more than 1500 € since I don’t have evidence, but only pictures. 

Be aware out there! You are opening your homes to strangers for some money, and if something like this happens (which is very much possible) YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN! 

1 Reply 1

@Mersedeh2  Sadly, there are a lot of stories like yours - and there also were in 2016. It doesn't help that the customer-service operation's primary target is to reduce losses to Airbnb, not to guide hosts through the weeds. The Host Guarantee was a clever piece of marketing to persuade people who might not have otherwise done so that it's "safe" to hand your house over to an un-vetted stranger from the internet, but when you read the fine print, it's no substitute for a comprehensive insurance policy and security measures of your own.

The situation you describe would appear to cross the line from damage into criminal conduct, considering that the guest broke into a locked space (presumably with intent to rob you or access personal documents). If he was able to get a hold of sensitive records, you may well have more trouble ahead that is completely beyond anything Airbnb can help with. Did you file a police report and transmit this to Airbnb during the claims process?