How to Open Dates after They are Cancelled

Kathy335
Level 2
Kelowna, Canada

How to Open Dates after They are Cancelled

I cancelled a reservation as my guest changed his mind but the dates still show as booked on my calendar. How do I change that?

This is the note I have from airbnb:

"Cancelled by you
To help avoid future cancellations, your calendar will stay blocked for the dates of the cancelled reservation"
5 Replies 5
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Kathy335 You need to call AirBnB and tell them that the guest requested the cancelation, they may or may not open the dates again. NEVER cancel! The guest wants to cancel they need to do it. They got a full refund of service fees because they had you canceled, so not do this again. Also if you get a message that guest has requested you cancel, do not do this either because by clicking "accept cancelation" it's a cancelation by you also. You need to decline this as it's a work around some guests use for them to get full refund and you get penalized. You will get an email from AirBnB if and when the guest has canceled and there is no action needed by you.

Thank you for your quick response. I see I was duped! I tyically work through VRBO and their cancellation process is much more seamless than this.  What a cluster.  I will call them.  Thanks again. 

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Kathy335

Hi Kathy, unfortunately this is one of the penalties that Airbnb imposes when a host cancels a guests confirmed reservation.

Please remember this has not been done by humans, it is a program generated response that is triggered by a host cancellation.

I am providing you here with the link to host cancellation penalties. Read it and you will understand a bit more, but can I just say....never, but never cancel a confirmed guest reservation and do not accept responsibility if Airbnb asks you to cancel on behalf of a guest.

What happens is Airbnb will tell the guest that the only way they can have all their money refunded is if the host cancels the booking. That way Airbnb can penalise you, the host.

When a guest requests that you cancel tell them you do not accept the cancellation and if they do not wish to proceed it will be up to them as the guest to cancel, you will not be responsible for their change of mind or plans!

If a hosting cannot take place on your part, contact Airbnb, explain the situation and ask them to relocate the guest so that the responsibility is shifted from you.

Here is that link ....

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reserv...

So Kathy, you can't open those dates, but as I said customer support are human and do understand that some circumstances can at times be unfair if you contact them on this number...

United States and Canada+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

they may be able to release you from this cancellation without penalty.

and I hope this helps Kathy.

Cheers.....Rob

Steven112
Level 2
Decatur, AL

I can't get anyone to respond to me.  The reservation expired. The problem is our town is considering banning STRs the first of 2022 and until it is resolved I can't take reservations

@Steven112  What do you mean, "the reservation expired"? You mean you didn't bother messaging the guest to explain why you couldn't host?

If you can't host now, you need to snooze your listing or block the dates so no one can book. You can't just leave your ad up and bookable.