How to attach a file to a message on Airbnb?

How to attach a file to a message on Airbnb?

While we have detailed information of how to come to our home from the airports, a map is worth a thousand verbal instructions. We have tried to attach a map to messages for our guests, but they cannot receive it. Our only solution so far, which is a bit cumbersome, is to ask them for a private email address & send the map outside of the Airbnb system. 

Any better suggestions?

67 Replies 67
Frances52
Level 5
Robertsbridge, United Kingdom

When you look at reservation details, instead of choosing 'Message' which is near the top of the screen, scroll down to bottom of screen till you get to 'email guest' (after Private Notes).

When you click email guest, it will automatically open up the email app you normally use (it'll be the one you registered with airbnb). But guest will receive as anonymised email from you that looks like bjsbdhjsdjhbvjh@host.airbnb.com. This allows you to send emails with attachments like you normally would on your usual email app.

I used to copy the anonymised guest email (usually looks like vscvcvjcvjwhvcjwhb@guest.airbnb.com) and paste it when sending from my own email account until I discovered this. 

Hope this helps 🙂

Unfortunately the email address doesn't always show up for all our guests, then I have to jump through hoops to get them information.    I have been able to do what you suggested at times,  but not every time. It's an issue that needs to be rectified to make it easier for hosts to communicate properly with their guests.  

I completely agree with others, restricting access to attach documents to a CONFIRMED guest is completely asinine.  This is not protecting the customer as the customer and the host just have to find other ways around this so they can communicate.   Yet another reason why as hosts and travelers we prefer VRBO over Airbnb!!  VRBO's process to send documents is so easy and HOST friendly.    Ugh ... Airbnb!!  

Al166
Level 2
Bedford, United Kingdom

Hi All,

I hope this finds you all well.

I am finally returning to hosting after 4 months of lockdown.

I used to be able to send a link to guests for a file I created for recommendations of amenities in the area by use of the airbnb email address that can be used outside of the airbnb system which is routed to the guest.

This email no longer address appears against the guest details in my inbox, or has it been moved somewhere a little more difficult to find? 

This was so handy as I can send a link to a file I maintain outside of airbnb as it's less clunky to do than maintain the guestbook on airbnb.

Any comments on how to do this other than set up in the airbnb specific and suggestions on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Al

Hi All,

This is so stupid.  Airbnb just makes is more difficult for host to manage their reservations and send needed information to our guest.  The easiest solution I found for this is just text your guest and ask them for their email address, since Airbnb will at least give you their number.   Just send the documents outside the system.   Anyways, just stupid extra steps for something that should be very simple.

@Tim2857  I have always needed to send guests map to my place, otherwise it's impossible to find. I have always just asked them for their email address via the message stream, also giving them mine. That info has never been blocked  in messages oncee a booking has been confirmed.

I used to try to use the coded email address Airbnb assigns, but half my guests said that while they received the email, the attachment wasn't there.

That is when the guest will give you their email address. I had one recently to tell me they had rather communicate through AirBnB messages and not personal email. Go figure

Pascal1470
Level 1
Montreal, Canada

Just take a screenshot or a picture of your file and send it as a picture.