How to avoid a review by a guest when I've agreed to let them out of booking early.

Lucia517
Level 2
Brisbane, Australia

How to avoid a review by a guest when I've agreed to let them out of booking early.

What's the best way to handle this.....

I've a guest who isn't happy with any of the 10 pillows that are in the unit, nor the A/C, two cooling towers, and 2 fans...  Says it's too hot at 23C/15C...   ... 

I've agreed to let them out of their booking early, and refund 50% of stay without penalty.

Now... is there anyway I can avoid them being able to leave a review?

Am I better to cancel and send them the difference.   Or better to have them cancel and send them the refund.      Does either way avoid them being able to leave a review??

need to know asap (12/4/2019) as I've got to get it done by tomorrow.

thank you for the help.

2 Replies 2
Jonathan6
Level 10
Mamaroneck, NY

Always better for the guest to make the cancellation request.  Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure if they cancel they will not be asked to review.  If they can, you should not do your review until prompted that they did theirs.  State your review accuratly as to what happened and you will get an opportunity to comment on their review.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You can't avoid the guest leaving you a review. 

And you should never cancel on behalf of a guest. It sounds you are well rid of this guest.

I would suggest you call Airbnb tell them about the situation. Say you have done everything you can to accommodate the guests, but they are not happy with your place and you are happy for them to cancel and you will voluntarily refund them for their remaining stay.

See if they will cancel the booking. If not, your guest will need to do this. I would put a caveat about refunding the rest of the booking, on checking the condition of the place first to ensure no damage.