How to deal with over size and overweight people showing up at your door and realise that they require extra large and sturdy chairs, bed etc?

Bibiane4
Level 2
Greater Sudbury, Canada

How to deal with over size and overweight people showing up at your door and realise that they require extra large and sturdy chairs, bed etc?

My furniture is rated for residential / domestic and for average people. How to deal with over size and overweight people showing up at your door to realise that your furniture poses a risk to them and could be damaged?  If they require extra large and sturdy chairs and bed and other accommodation shouldn't they specified it in their requests? 

16 Replies 16

@Bibiane4  There have been a couple times when I privately worried that certain guests would have issues with the furniture due to their weight or height, but I'm glad I kept it to myself. I've had to deal with furniture damage on a few occasions, but it always due to misuse rather than weight.

If someone specifically asked for different furnishings than I offer, I'd ask them to cancel the booking. Otherwise, I trust people to use their own judgment about the impact their bodies will have on normal furniture. Knowing that damage can happen at any time - even Kate Moss could break something - I supply only furnishings that are easy and affordable to fix or replace. 

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

I think I will introduce a 30 stone/420lbs/190 kgs total weight limit to my beds - whether a single or a couple is staying. 

Robbie54
Level 10
North Runcton, United Kingdom

@Helen350 so you'd ban a 16 stone man and a 14 stone woman/man from sleeping in the same bed together? Bit over the top, don't you think? Good luck policing that one and getting away with it. 

Removed by Ute.

Helen350
Level 10

16 +14 = 30 @Robbie54 - So that's fine!

But seriously, with my budget prices, I can't afford broken beds! 🙂

Robbie54
Level 10

@Helen350 ok, a 16.5 stone person and a 14 stone person, either of those weights are not even considered obese. You cannot either police it or enforce it without being accused of prejudice. This could potentially get you in to serious trouble. How on earth would you police it, I'd like to know? 

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Bibiane4  If you have a concern about larger guests, review the furnishings that you have in your accommodation.  As @Anonymous has suggested, having furnishings that are affordable to replace would be best.  I had a family of large people visit one of my homes, resulting in the breakage of a bed and two dining chairs, none of which they would pay for.  I changed the bed to a metal frame with metal cross members.  No more broken slats.  I changed my dining chairs and bought a set with 4 extras that I have stored against breakage.  I looked at all of my furnishings with a eye to "industrial" wear and tear.

Last note:  Larger guests may not consider themselves large.  If you infer that their size may be an issue, they may also claim disability or discrimination.  Be aware and be careful.

I have done the same thing by replacing beds with metal frames and metal cross bars after several incidences of beds breaking by large people.  We get a LOT of overweight people.  

Helen350
Level 10

@Bibiane4 **

**[Inappropriate comment removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

(- OK, that was my emotional initial reaction... if I opened the door to such a person, I would still be smiling & welcoming... but I'd have to say if I thought they might break the bed; my house, my furntiture, have to protect it.)

And all my furniture is extremely cheap, bottom of the range! It is the guest's responsibility not to expose it to more weight than it is designed to carry. 

Tell them they are 'not a good fit' - Literally.

Seriously, you could ask if it was OK to remove the frame & have them sleep on the same  mattress, but on the floor.....? Same mattress support, but does not break the frame....  

**Comment removed

Good grief @Helen350 , that's rather venomous language. Personally speaking, amongst my most treasured guests are a lovely and extremely heavyset couple who have stayed a couple of times. Nothing damaged, but that's beside the point.

I agree with @Anonymous  and @Lorna170 , @Bibiane4 . Set your listing up to be as damage proof as possible. Makes sense regardless of guest size.

Robbie54
Level 10

@Helen350 

**Comment removed

Your disgusting  comment is wrong on so many levels, I'm even amazed you have the gaul to even post it instead if keeping it to yourself (why didn't you???). Many obese people have mental health issues (I'm sure you can relate to that), they need help, not abuse. Prescribed drugs can cause obesity, also depression and genetics. Its not an "antisocial choice"! 

@Helen350  Nothing is more indicative of "low moral character" than the hatred in your heart, if you think it's OK to express such vile and ignorant things on a public forum.  Did you not once call yourself a "Christian"? Apparently you have no idea what that means.

@Helen350   My dear, you need to get a grip.  Please remove your tirade from the forum.  

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Bibiane4  Instead of worrying about how to control something that's essentially out of your control, review your prices.  Do they cover your costs as well as anticipate normal wear and tear and some unexpected breakage and damage?  If they do, then you will be able to take the occasional issue in stride, no matter what the cause.