How to deal with over size and overweight people showing up at your door and realise that they require extra large and sturdy chairs, bed etc?

Bibiane4
Level 2
Greater Sudbury, Canada

How to deal with over size and overweight people showing up at your door and realise that they require extra large and sturdy chairs, bed etc?

My furniture is rated for residential / domestic and for average people. How to deal with over size and overweight people showing up at your door to realise that your furniture poses a risk to them and could be damaged?  If they require extra large and sturdy chairs and bed and other accommodation shouldn't they specified it in their requests? 

16 Replies 16
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Helen350 **Comment removed 

This is your idea of a joke, right?  Because if it's not, I'd have to replace the word "obesity" with "ignorance" and direct it at you.

@Helen350  Your offensive comment has been removed, but your membership in the community has been spared. I'm happy for that, as you offer a lot of useful advice and perspective. I also know that if you'd said exactly the same words about Jews, black people, LGBT people. or disabled people that you said about fat people, you would be immediately delisted and banned from Airbnb. The fact that this didn't happen is a huge benefit to you, but it also illustrates how easily a cruel prejudice can be socially acceptable enough that even a brand that's all about political correctness will allow for it. 

This is personal. Several people that I care deeply about are living with obesity, for reasons that have nothing to do with their moral character. I've sat next to close friends and watch them burst into tears over hearing hateful rhetoric like yours on TV - even in the form of some of those casual fat jokes that you often see in sitcoms. These were kind and decent people who did not deserve to be treated like objects of hatred and ridicule. If you actually cared about someone's health and well being (weren't you once a health worker?) how do you square that with telling them that you literally hate them? Of course many people could benefit from losing weight, but being treated like they're the worst people in the world and unworthy of love is not helpful in that.

There might have been some people who saw your post and were deeply hurt by it, as I know some of my loved ones (who are not by any means snowflakes) would have been. I respect you a lot as a fellow home-sharer, and I hope you have the decency to apologize for it.