How to decide whether to accept a booking

Kat10798
Level 1
Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand

How to decide whether to accept a booking

I have the requirement that all guests booking must have good reviews from other hosts before they can instant book.  The ones that have none come through as a request.  I have two in the last two days that are new to air bnb and have no requests.  These ones worry me a bit as they may have had other profiles before and had bad reviews so started another.  On the other hand they may just be new.  How do you find out more info from a guest without prying to much into their private information about their trip.

4 Replies 4
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Kat10798   We all have to start somewhere.  Just as some guests have no reviews, new hosts don’t have any either so it can be a real ‘leap of faith’ on both sides.  Personally, I don’t like to be too intrusive towards my guests and try not to impact on their privacy.  Many hosts will send a friendly message thanking the prospective guest for their interest and ask them to let them know their reasons for wanting to stay such as work, leisure, visiting family etc.  You can clarify this by following up your question by letting them know that you are only asking to ensure that your listing is suitable for  their particular requirements.

Kat10798
Level 1

@Kate867 thank you

Joanne38
Level 3
Bunbury, Australia

@Joanne38 

Deciding on a booking can be tricky - trust your gut feeling.  As a general rule I don't take bookings from locals.  If you live in the same town as my Air BnB and just need a "chill out night" my gut feeling is my unit is going to be your party house or something else not really holiday or work related.

My Air BnB is basically my superannuation so I try not to take risks.

Most guests will indicate their reason for staying - coming to play sport, family wedding, work related - too little info makes me suspicious - and I would rather have my place sit empty for a night then be picking up the pieces from a bad guest.  I budget that not ever night is booked and that it is good business sense to follow your gut feeling.

I don't take instant bookings for this reason because usually I can respond very quickly once I have done my basic checks on the proposed guest.  I've been doing short stay for 22 years and I have learn't to accept that when your gut feeling says decline - then so be it.

Kat10798
Level 1

@Joanne38 thank you, this is definitely helpful.  I kind of operate like that in real life and it's proven to be what I should have done with a couple the bookings I've had!!  Anyway going foward I am going to use this approach, so thanks again