How to determine if a guest is 25 or older?

Eric202
Level 1
Hagerstown, MD

How to determine if a guest is 25 or older?

Where do hosts look to determine if a guest is 25 or older?  This is with an Airbnb verified guest and I require verification for booking in the listing.  The latest guest in question used Instant Booking.

I have been separately requiring guests send their ID to me for age verfication purposes, which is something I'd like to get away from if possible.

Thanks for any help, the relevent help page in question is linked below.

Airbnb's documentation on providing verification

"What gets shared with your host

If you’re a guest and you’re asked to provide ID, your host will see:

• Your profile name and photo.
  • Whether you’ve successfully completed this process.
  • The full name on your government ID and whether you’re over or under 25 years old."
10 Replies 10
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Can't say I've ever seen a guest's age come through with their reservation.  Or even an indictor they are over or under 25.  Weird.

Victoria57
Level 10
Strathpeffer, United Kingdom

@Eric202 a few months ago Airbnb were experimenting with this and bookings did come through with a notification of whether the guest was over or under 25. But it seems to have gone quiet on this recently so maybe they haven't continued with it.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Interesting - have never seen age on a person's profile or booking request - and would be surprised to see an indicator of age. Neither would I take it as any form of guarantee of good or bad behaviour. We have had great guests younger and older than 25 - it's just an arbritary number to me.

Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

Interestingly, age is not covered in the AirBnB non-discrimination policy and according to NOLO.com: "The federal Fair Housing Acts do not expressly ban discrimination based on age. Nevertheless, it is definitely forbidden under the broader prohibition against discrimination on the basis of familial status.
"

So why not put "renters must be 25 years or older and show Government issued Identification with picture and birthdate at check-in." in your house rules. That way if they are under 25 or don't have ID you can cancel on them for violating the house rules. 

Thanks for the suggestion.  I do have it in the rental description, but placing it also in the house rules sounds like a good idea.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

For a while I was getting confirmation messages which said something like ''This guest is OVER 25 years''. Nothing now, I assume a temporary test?

Rosemary12
Level 9
Burnaby, Canada

Is there an Airbnb policy about guests under 25?  I can'f find anything in the policy.

I notice that on some of my bookings it shows up as "over 25". My latest guest it says "under 25". Is there a reason this shows up (i.e. we aren't supposed to rent to a guest under 25) or is it just to let us know if we don't want to rent to them. My current guest is quiet and respectful so I have no problem but since they don't say how old they are, what if a 17 year-old wanted to rent? How would we know other than asking them when they request to book?

Minimum age for AirBnB sign up is 18 so you should only be able to assume guest will be over 18 unless you request proof otherwise

minimum age is 18 for an airbnb room or hotel, not to rent an entire house

Jayson13
Level 2
Seattle, WA

I just had someone under 25 years old (not sure how old they are) try to book my place as an instant booking for later this week, but they were rejected by the AirBnB site.  They contacted AirBnB and were told that cannot book an entire apartment/condo/house unless they are either 1) over 25, or 2) have 3 good reviews.  Has anyone else ever run into this?  This person already had two 5-star reviews, so I would have been comfortable renting to them.