How to file a complaint against AirBnB

How to file a complaint against AirBnB

My experience has been an absolute nightmare and I have no idea how to get it resolved as the multiple customer service agents have been unhelpful and blatently lied, then deleted my account.  I had to set up a new account just to be able to reach out for help in this forum.

I booked a reservation through AirBnB approximately 2-3 weeks ago.  Was not contacted by a host as the website indicates I would be.  The website offers an option to split the payment in half or pay in full.  I chose to split in half as I would have more money in my account as we got closer to the reservation date.  Approximately a week after I booked, I received an email from my bank that AirBnB was trying to pull the second half of the money out that account.  Had I known it was going to be that soon to the booking, I would have just booked the full amount on another card.  None the less, I removed that credit card from my AirBnB profile and replaced it with another card that had the funds on it.  I followed up with a call (after doing a LOT of searching for a way to contact AirBnB... the website is not user friendly) and "chatted" on line with someone who absolutely could not find my reservation!  She said she would have someone call me.  A few ours later someone that could hardly speak English called me and said her name was Ana.  We discussed the situation.  I told her the new card was on my Profile Account and she needed to pull the remaining half from that card.  She assured me they would get it corrected and would send me an email confirming our conversation.  She sent an email but it had my name completely misspelled and the body of the email was so garbled that it did not make any sense.  Needless to say, nothing was updated.  They continued to try to pull the money out of the original account from a credit card that was removed.  I continue to try to chat with someone letting them know they were pulling from the wrong account.  In the meantime, I kept trying to reach the Host as the website had a link for me to contact her.  But that was non existent.  When clicking on the link, I received an error message.  Reaching the Host directly was impossible.  The only way I managed to get in touch with her was to try to book again (but had to put in a false booking date as my actual booking take was taken and I could not click on it) and send her a message.  She finally saw that message and realized there was an issue.  She must have then contacted AirBnB for my contact information as she called me to let me know she had been sending me messages.  However, when going to my Profile Account, there were no messages.  I explained the situation to her but she says she has nothing to do with the billing, that all goes through AirBnB.  This was a week ago.   A week later followed up with her a text message letting her know that we were excited to be there next week for our Anniversary and that AirBnB still had not pulled the second half of the payment out of my account.  She responded back with "you need to contact AirBnB because they told me YOU have cancelled your reservation".  I finally found a phone number on the website after a tremendous amount of searching to call to get this resolved and when I spoke to a gentlemen (I did not get his name), he informed me that there were two accounts for me, that thier system created a duplicate account with my email address being similar.  Clearly there is something wrong with the AirBnB system.  On one account, it had the original booking and the other account had the correct credit card information.  I have no idea how their system duplicated an account for me, but it is clearly an AirBnB issue.  The gentleman indicated he would look into the issue and call me back.  I later followed up with another phone call and got someone else on the phone as you cannot get back in touch with the original person.  Had to explain the whole situation all over again to someone else.  That makes three people now.  Eventually a fourth person called me back as I was driving home from work.  He claimed he was going to help me rebook since it was cancelled.  I informed him AirBnB needs to refund me the money they took out of my account in full as this was their error.  I DID NOT CANCEL THE RESERVATION!!!!!  This is not my issue to resolve, it is AirBnB's.  He further said he would need the Host to approve the refund.  I dont give a flip how he does it, but it needs to be resolved.  The solution was very simple...  they needed to take the other half of the payment out of the credit card I had placed on my Profile Account or just refund me my money and I'd go somewhere else to book a reservation.  He said he was going to call me back the next day at 3:00 pm to get this resolved and after waiting hours in front of my computer with my phone, he did not call.  I went on the Website to take a photo of the conversation I had with Ana as proof in case I needed to fight this and my account has been deleted.  They wiped it out!  In this forum, I read other conversations where someone posted emails of what they identify as owners.  I've emailed them but have not heard anything as of yet.  I did speak to the Host again via text message as she and I have kept in contact.  She said she talked to AirBnB and they told her they've tryed reaching out to me.  This is a blatent lie.  They have not and they deleted my original account so there is no more proof of the conversations we were having.  To date, they are not taking responsibility for thier error.  They owe me a full refund for "their system" cancelling my reservation without cause.  The Host has not been helpful in trying to get it resolved.  Her responses have been mostly "reach out to AirBnB".  Well if that were working, I wouldnt need to contact her.  Sadly, if it were my home AirBnB were representing, I would want to know of the horrible customer service and do everything humanly possible to get the situation resolved.  

46 Replies 46
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Eleanor104 if you got that email from Airbnb you can insist again on them respecting their policies. Contact them agan and also try Twitter and Facebook. 

Thank you Ana1136.  I thought I was contacting them through you.  I don't do twitter but will try Facebook and if you have a secret way of getting through to them that you would share I would appreciate it.  I have a friend who is an Airbnb host.   She  claims that they really value their customer/clients butmy experience would not agree with her.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Eleanor104 no I am not an employee, we are all hosts here and I don't have a secret way of communicating unfortunately. All the ways you can reach them are in the link below

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide-UPDATED/td-p/413245

Same thing is happening to me right now. I canceled my reservation within two hours of making it. As per their own policy for same day rentals as long as you cancel before 3 pm you will only be charged a cleaning fee. I literally canceled my reservation at noon. Now they’re saying they can’t find my request to cancel! Because they conveniently erase messages!! But i was smart and screen shot my communication... guess who isn’t honoring their own policy?? Airbnb!! What a horrible company. Disgusting what they’re doing to people especially right now during a pandemic! 

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

@Temnit0 Your understanding of the cancellation policy is incorrect. 

Cancelling a reservation on the day of check-in entitles you to a refund of only the cleaning fee. 

The accommodation fee for the first night (or more depending on the cancellation policy) and the Airbnb service fee is never refundable if you cancel on the day of check-in.

Airbnb are indeed honouring their own policy, and you will receive a refund of the cleaning fee only.

File a complaint with Better Business Bureau

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Rebecca648 @Susan17 @Branka-and-Silvia0 @Rachel0 @Robert-And-Nancy0

Last night we received a "guest cancelled" notice from Airbnb. We messaged the guest saying that we would refund to whatever extent we could recoup from rebooking. She responded in surprise saying she had not cancelled, and fully intended to complete her stay. This was coincident with her second payment. Airbnb CS has apparently been able to make it right but it seems like they might have a bug in this department.

Christabel1
Level 1
Cupertino, CA

I have an issue with AirBnb as well. 

In June, my wife booked a 2 nights stay in Oakley CA. She used my CC to pay the fees.

The stay would have washer/dryer as this was necessary for us.

to our horrow, we arrived at the place totally unlivable with cob-web and dust and sqeaky kitchen floors. the toilets were so yaky that we only cleaned 1 so we can used it. 

there was no washer and dryer, nor hair dryer; it seems they have recycled paper/plastics disposable forks and spoon.

When we texted the host there was no reply. I called only to be answered by a person who claimed he was not the host but a representative of the host.

We left first thing in the morning and had to make changes to our travel plans. All these we informed the host by text. 

But late morning, the host offered to make good on the conditions. 

But we had no confidence in him as well as the place was really un-livable.

But, the host refused our demand for refund.

Because we had  to be in Asia for short term mission, we made a complaint to Airbnb on this situation. However, it seems that Airbnb kept on rotating the names or persons handling our case, and it has been almost 2 months and it still did not resolve.

I contacted my CC  company to dispute the charges but after 2 months, CC company denied my dispute saying Airbnb t&c were clear.

I find airbnb's handling of our case very sloppy and irresponsible as they kept changing persons to handle the case and would not call despite promising to do so.

david

Jill465
Level 2
Murrells Inlet, SC

I have had horrible customer service from Airbnb and will NEVER use their service again.  The do not believe in supporting their customers.  And I have used them 10 times in the last year.  It is a terrible shame.  I find the owners, except for my last experience, to be wonderful.  But if you need Airbnb to hear a complaint, you might as well forget it.  They could care less about their customers.  I would NEVER use their services again.  I feel sorry for anyone who is involved with this horrible company.  I have filed complaints with BBB and the local government.  I want to know what the responsibility is to report monies made by doing this????

I also had a horrible experience with AirBnB and will never use this company again. I rented Parisian Dream Magnificent View on Eiffel tower in Paris for 2 nights. The host’s name is Louis Eugene. We showed up at the property and discovered a very steep, narrow, poorly lit staircase!! NONE of this is mentioned in the host’s description of the property! In fact, the stairs are not mentioned at all until you scroll down past the English version and past the French version where there is a brief mention of these stairs that comes up in English. No mention that they are steep, narrow and poorly lit. We showed up in the daytime …I can’t imagine attempting these stairs at night. If you are reading the host’s description in English, you stop when the French version begins. This is conveniently done by the host so that you do not continue to read on and never read the part about the stairs. See below …I copied and pasted the description. If information about these stairs was provided where it should have been in the first place and with a photo at the beginning of the English version then trust me, I never would have never booked this nightmare. It was not only the staircase that was troublesome. The place stunk like mold, was run down, and the photos of the Eiffel tower in the host’s advertisement were nothing like the in the photos. There were two tiny windows and the Eiffel tower was far away. Unless you are 6’5, you need a ladder to even see out the window. This was a clear bait and switch by the host. Of course, we did not stay there and went to a hotel instead. The host refused to refund our money, and when we informed AirBnB about this, they did nothing, whatsoever. I honestly cannot believe this …it is unreal to me that Airbnb backs this guy!! There are comments from other guests with similar complaints. Scroll down … I copied and pasted a couple of comments along with the host’s very vulgar and insulting responses. His communication with me was the same and I am thankful there is an ocean between us because he is scary. Clearly, this guy is not stable. I need to find out what recourse we have to get our money back. We tried going through the credit card company however, they said they cannot do anything. These people cannot be allowed to get away with this. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Entire apartment
2 guests
2 bedrooms
1 bed
1 bath
󱀂
Great check-in experience
95% of recent guests gave the check-in process a 5-star rating.
󰀢
Sparkling clean
11 recent guests said this place was sparkling clean.
󰀐
Great location
95% of recent guests gave the location a 5-star rating.
A cozy, classy and authentic Parisian apartment from the XIXth century. Located in the most luxurious area of Paris. The view of the eiffel tower is just incredible.
300m to EIFFEL TOWER - 800m to Champs Elysées - 100m to Trocadero - 50m to metro.
The space
First of all, this is an APARTMENT and not a HOTEL. After you, I will be living there. So RESPECT the place, as you DO IN YOUR OWN HOUSE.
A cozy authentic Parisian apartment from the XIXth century which houses the spirit of that time period.
This chic apartment is fully accomodated with a king size bed, a cozy salon to enjoy French wine in dim light with a sparkling view of the Eiffel.
The "Tomette" floor from the beginning of last century, will make you feel as though you were taken back to the Belle Époque. The Chimney and its mirror is a unique piece, from the Napoleonic era and is still intact. It has a little kitchenette that’s just enough to make yourself a crêpe a la Nutella in the mornings. You might also find some French classics, from last century on the small library.
The very rare view is what adds charm to this top floor apartment as you have the Eiffel Tower in all its glory right infront of you (from the living room or bedroom windows).
The apartment welcomes anyone from couples who want a romantic getaway, people who dream to feel the Parisian spirit being in the heart of it all or families and seniors staying in the city of love.
It is a Parisian dream in the most luxurious area of Paris (16eme arrondissement). Located just a step away from Trocadero (100m), iconic Gabrielle Chanel sang about.
300m to Eiffel Tower
700m Arc de Triomphe
800m to Champs Elysées
200m Pont de l'Alma (Lady Diana)
150m Palais de Tokyo
200m of Avenue de Montaigne (the most luxurious shopping street of Paris)
100m to Seine River
200m to "Fly-boats"
Metro stations are just 50 meters away.
Fully renovated (July 2015), compact and very clean.
things to note :
Smokers are not allowed
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Charmant 2 pièces dans le 16eme arrondissement. Fraichement rénové avec vue imprenable sur la Tour Eiffel.
50m du métro et de toutes les commodités.
Les fumeurs ne sont pas autorisé
Spoken languages : English/Francais/Espanol/Turkce/Lietuviu
Important information :
Since Airbnb doesn't protect host's
Interaction with guests
Airport Pick-up/Drop-off on demand (Done by a professional with extra fee)
Advising about "To-do in Paris"
Other things to note
No TV - No Microwave - Apartment on 6th floor without elevator
License or registration number
Learn about this number
Hide
Contact host
Amenities
Wifi
Kitchen
Laptop friendly workspace
Iron
Show all 12 amenities

Kimberly
October 2018
Louis's home is artistically decorated, very clean, and has an amazing view of the Eiffel Tower! We did not realize that the home is on the sixth floor and has no elevator. Carrying our luggage up six flights in a narrow spiral staircase was a challenge. Other than that we had a wonderful stay! We definitely recommend if you are carrying light luggage and don't mind stairs!

Response from Louis Eugene:
Are you **bleep**ing serious? It is written everywhere that its on 6th floor without elevator!! To all people who wants to reserve this place, please Read before reserve this place! We reach the limits of stupity on airbnb. Buy yourself some **bleep**ing glasses and try to understand what you read on listings information
October 2018

Emily
September 2018
If all you care about is the view-then this is an okay location to stay. If you care about any additional comforts, I would continue your search. You climb very narrow stairs, up 6 flights to get to the flat. AND the lights turn out as you go. Very unsafe. Additionally, there was construction on the floor, so we were greeted by a toilet, flooring and dust on the landing. Once inside, the view is beautiful. However, that is where the beauty ends. The bedroom is TINY and the bed is the hardest I've ever slept on. The linens are rough and there is only 1 blanket in the flat, and very itchy sheets. The bathroom was unkempt with mold growing in the shower. We almost decided to leave after our first night, and sink the costs because it was so uncomfortable. Unfortunately, despite our high expectations because of reviews, I would not recommend this flat to anyone.

Response from Louis Eugene:
Hello Guys, I am usually very calm but when you trash a place who has 95% of 5 stars, i will be forced to calm you down. First of all, obviously you can read and more of it, some bank in world gave you a benediction and offered your a credit card so you can even pay with it on such a nice platform as AIRBNB. As your eyes helped you with everything until today, I guess you read in BIG LETTERS that the apartment is on 6th floor WITHOUT elevator. Well if you still complain about it. Save your money with your husband and both go to a doctor. It will be the best investment you will ever do in your life for yourself and the world. The light turns out! Ooooow hell yeah! Light turns out, it is normal. did you question yourself why? Because it is an automatic system that switch off the light to save energy (I hope it saved your day). Very unsafe? 3 years here, there wasn't even a smallest safety problem. Construction on floor and dust? Wooow! If the days you came there was a construction, then it is obviously normal to have a dust out of the apartment. if there was nothing in the apartment, why even mention it? The bedroom is tiny and bed not comfy? Please read previous comments... Nobody complained since 3 years. But as Emily and her magestic husband growed up in Buckingham palace, they didn't find the bed comfy. 1 blanket in flat? I am very sure that you are blind... there is 2 blanket. and both are on the bed Queen Emily. Bathroom unkept? Mold? Seriously, if anybody find a mold i am ready to unlist that place from AIRBNB forever. Emily, maybe your vision have another problem... You were scared to not get a refund? decided to move but couldn't? Why didn't you send me a message (as you are able to write) and let me know about all those problems? Money is not a problem, I am here to purpose the best for this price. If you wish to have the same view with palace bed , your destination is next street Shangri-la hotel. 2000 euro per night. Seriously, I really don't get this type of persons. What do you expect? This is a very cute place, where alot of people get unforgettable moments. I receive many postal cards even after years for thanks. I can't believe You do everything goes well, purpose them early check-in, being reactive to all their needs and then can tell that there is molds!! seriously.... Molds!! I don't rent a place i can't sleep in or can't take a shower as home. This is my politics. I am sorry for this language that i used here. I want to give my apologies to all past and future guests but this is only disrespect of all this work. Louis Eugene
September 2018

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Wow @Michelle1510 

I am so suprised that you chose to stay in a listing with such appalling reviews. The host clearly has little understanding of the word hospitality from his responses to reviews.

Having said that, the majority of traditional Parisien apartment buildings do not have lifts ; so it is fairly standard to have to walk about narrow flights of stairs to get to apartments in a building. And the host does mention it in the listing description in 'other things to note'  that there is no lift and it is on the 6th floor.

You also have clear warnings from other guests in their reviews - so surely there is an element of buyer beware?????

If other elements of the listing were not as described,  then you should have done as Airbnb suggests in your booking confirmation and contact the host and themselves within 24 hours of arrival. Then if issues could not be resolved, Airbnb would have considered a refund.

What you can't do is chose to leave without trying to resolve issues first with the host and then expect a refund

I do agree that if the host hasn't mentioned the lack of lift in the general description, he should be much more upfront in the listing about the lack of a lift - but we haven't seen the whole listing, so I can't comment on this.

hi, I totally agree with you, I am having problems with airbnb now. They do not know the meaning of customer service. All they want  is our money and if problem exist, sod the rest of us, they have got our money anyway. 

Brianne19
Level 2
New York, NY

Airbnb customer service is atrocious! I had a nightmare scenario in which I couldn't get back into the building at all in Brazil. Turns out the listing was illegal and security barred me from entering. All my stuff was there (the host's surrogate let me in the first time). Then, the host decided to come to the place in the middle of the night to threaten me about saying I was from airbnb - I had to leave in the night and find another place on my own in a foreign country because Airbnb customer support told me to wait for them to find me a new listing and left me there for hours. They never got back for 14 hours and by then I found a hotel. It cost me so much. They refunded me but only after being called greedy by one of my thousand rude case managers.

One guy, though, was real nice (but ineffective). Amazing that being rude and mean in an emergency situation is somehow the norm...

terrible!! we have to do something ! AIRBNB is absolute trash. I had such a bad experience I am trying to rack my brain with a way to shed light on their terrible customer service. They do not even abide by their own policies. You should have been relocated and discounted immediately! how have they not lost a tremendous amount of business 

Debbie780
Level 1
New York, NY

AirBB is a nightmare.  Yes, there are multiple people who are on and then off  when you make the complaint.  Horrible service for guests.  Untrained customer service who are off shore and are clueless.  It's  terrible to do any business with AirBB as we have found out.

Yes, their policies are difficult to understand and their workers ill advise you.  Now we know what a scam this corporate self service business is all about. 

Sorry to hear you went through such a bad trip.  Awful.

Best bet is to deal with a hotel or another house for rent who have more integrity.