How to file a complaint against AirBnB

How to file a complaint against AirBnB

My experience has been an absolute nightmare and I have no idea how to get it resolved as the multiple customer service agents have been unhelpful and blatently lied, then deleted my account.  I had to set up a new account just to be able to reach out for help in this forum.

I booked a reservation through AirBnB approximately 2-3 weeks ago.  Was not contacted by a host as the website indicates I would be.  The website offers an option to split the payment in half or pay in full.  I chose to split in half as I would have more money in my account as we got closer to the reservation date.  Approximately a week after I booked, I received an email from my bank that AirBnB was trying to pull the second half of the money out that account.  Had I known it was going to be that soon to the booking, I would have just booked the full amount on another card.  None the less, I removed that credit card from my AirBnB profile and replaced it with another card that had the funds on it.  I followed up with a call (after doing a LOT of searching for a way to contact AirBnB... the website is not user friendly) and "chatted" on line with someone who absolutely could not find my reservation!  She said she would have someone call me.  A few ours later someone that could hardly speak English called me and said her name was Ana.  We discussed the situation.  I told her the new card was on my Profile Account and she needed to pull the remaining half from that card.  She assured me they would get it corrected and would send me an email confirming our conversation.  She sent an email but it had my name completely misspelled and the body of the email was so garbled that it did not make any sense.  Needless to say, nothing was updated.  They continued to try to pull the money out of the original account from a credit card that was removed.  I continue to try to chat with someone letting them know they were pulling from the wrong account.  In the meantime, I kept trying to reach the Host as the website had a link for me to contact her.  But that was non existent.  When clicking on the link, I received an error message.  Reaching the Host directly was impossible.  The only way I managed to get in touch with her was to try to book again (but had to put in a false booking date as my actual booking take was taken and I could not click on it) and send her a message.  She finally saw that message and realized there was an issue.  She must have then contacted AirBnB for my contact information as she called me to let me know she had been sending me messages.  However, when going to my Profile Account, there were no messages.  I explained the situation to her but she says she has nothing to do with the billing, that all goes through AirBnB.  This was a week ago.   A week later followed up with her a text message letting her know that we were excited to be there next week for our Anniversary and that AirBnB still had not pulled the second half of the payment out of my account.  She responded back with "you need to contact AirBnB because they told me YOU have cancelled your reservation".  I finally found a phone number on the website after a tremendous amount of searching to call to get this resolved and when I spoke to a gentlemen (I did not get his name), he informed me that there were two accounts for me, that thier system created a duplicate account with my email address being similar.  Clearly there is something wrong with the AirBnB system.  On one account, it had the original booking and the other account had the correct credit card information.  I have no idea how their system duplicated an account for me, but it is clearly an AirBnB issue.  The gentleman indicated he would look into the issue and call me back.  I later followed up with another phone call and got someone else on the phone as you cannot get back in touch with the original person.  Had to explain the whole situation all over again to someone else.  That makes three people now.  Eventually a fourth person called me back as I was driving home from work.  He claimed he was going to help me rebook since it was cancelled.  I informed him AirBnB needs to refund me the money they took out of my account in full as this was their error.  I DID NOT CANCEL THE RESERVATION!!!!!  This is not my issue to resolve, it is AirBnB's.  He further said he would need the Host to approve the refund.  I dont give a flip how he does it, but it needs to be resolved.  The solution was very simple...  they needed to take the other half of the payment out of the credit card I had placed on my Profile Account or just refund me my money and I'd go somewhere else to book a reservation.  He said he was going to call me back the next day at 3:00 pm to get this resolved and after waiting hours in front of my computer with my phone, he did not call.  I went on the Website to take a photo of the conversation I had with Ana as proof in case I needed to fight this and my account has been deleted.  They wiped it out!  In this forum, I read other conversations where someone posted emails of what they identify as owners.  I've emailed them but have not heard anything as of yet.  I did speak to the Host again via text message as she and I have kept in contact.  She said she talked to AirBnB and they told her they've tryed reaching out to me.  This is a blatent lie.  They have not and they deleted my original account so there is no more proof of the conversations we were having.  To date, they are not taking responsibility for thier error.  They owe me a full refund for "their system" cancelling my reservation without cause.  The Host has not been helpful in trying to get it resolved.  Her responses have been mostly "reach out to AirBnB".  Well if that were working, I wouldnt need to contact her.  Sadly, if it were my home AirBnB were representing, I would want to know of the horrible customer service and do everything humanly possible to get the situation resolved.  

46 Replies 46
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Rebecca648 ,

Sorry to read your bad experience when booking at Airbnb. I see a lot of actions in your posting which can create potential problems. Changing payment method or cards for same reservation is not a good idea. Also i do not understand why you could ot contact the host. On every listing is a link "contact host" and after booking you can simply use the Airbnb message system. I fear this is not the right platform for you, so many things going wrong is very weird. I hopy you will  not loose any money and get refunded what you have payed.

best regards, Emiel

Splitting the payment in half was an option.  I had no idea they were going to attempt pulling so quick to the booking date.  Had I known, I would have just put the full amount on another card.  We travel alot.  Most places take a small deposit at first and the remainder much closer to the reservation date.  That wasnt the major issue.  The issue is their "system" created a duplicate account for me.  According to the representatives they could see my original booking and original credit card information.  When I pulled up my account with my email address, I could see the booking and the replaced credit card information.  When clicking on the link to contact the Host, I received an error message.  It would not work.  However, when she and I finally spoke, she said she had been sending me emails but they were not on the page that I could view.  They must have been on the duplicate page that I could not see.  They told the Host that I cancelled which is a blatant lie.  Bottom line is AirBnB had an issue and they need to refund me my money for cancelling.  At the last minute I have to scramble to book a new reservation for this weekend without my approx. $250 that AirBnB now has.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Rebecca648 the host is correct; she doesn't get any money until the day after your check-in, so she can't help you. In your place I would try calling the direct US number 1-415-800-5959 during business hours PDT. You could also contact your credit card company to open a dispute on the charge.

Thanks for the helpful info.  I understand she does not handle the money part, but I would think she would want to know what was going on with the marketing of her rental property.  I certainly would.  And I would be on the phone with them tearing thier rears up for cancelling the booking and the lack of responsibility.

@Rebecca648

I am sorry to hear you have had such a difficult time with Airbnb and I don’t blame you for your frustration. While trying to straighten this out with Airbnb I would file a claim with your credit card company. They may be able to step in and help you get a refund. I do hope your new reservations work out and that you get to enjoy your time away.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rebecca648 It seems to me that the problems started when you tried to enter your new credit/debt card details on to the system without speaking to someone at Airbnb first.  If your account was then deleted the reservation would have automatically been cancelled and the host informed.  However, as @Emiel1 rightly points out, when you make a reservation you get a link on which to message the host and normally this is what guests and hosts use - primarily because every conversation is then documented in case of future disputes.  

What bothers me about this post - and this is NOT directed at you @Rebecca648 as you may or may not have any previous reviews - is the ease with which you were able to set up a new account.  For example, if a guest has several "bad" reviews but has not actually been reported or been given a "thumbs down" by a previous host, can that guest just set up a new account and carry on as if they were new to Airbnb?  

@Rachel0 Yes, guests with previous bad reviews can - and do - just set up new accounts. All the time...  

It is my understanding from AirBnB customer service, the problem was thier system created a duplicate account for me.  Switching credit cards was not the issue, it was a continuation of issues.  They explained that one credit card (the original one) was visible from the account they could view, but the account I was viewing (associated with my email address), I was able to see the updated credit card information.  I did speak with "Ana", a customer service rep, that indicated all was fine.   But apparently not, as their system cancelled the reservation.  You can only set up your account with your actual email address.  They were telling me there was a duplicate account ending with a .comn which is not a valid email extension.  I cannot enter their system with an email that is not valid.  Again, the link to message the Host was there and I tried to use it.  I continueously received an error message.  The link was not working.  

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Rebecca648if your reservation is cancelled then you should get your money back to your credit card . It takes several days, maybe even a week. Check your first credit card to see if you are refounded for the payment you made.

I hope you will sort it out and sorry for your trouble.

Regarding your host she is right, she can not help you as you pay to Airbnb and then, 1 day after your check in Airbnb pays to her. She doesn't know your account number, name of your bank, nothing... You have to deal with your bank and with Airbnb by yourself.

The easiest way to contact Airbnb is via Twitter on @Airbnbhelp they usually respond in max few hours.

I had to cancel an airbnb reservation more than 6 months ago  Cancellation was done well witihin the required time constraints,  I had a quick response from airbnb saying I would be credited with the refund agreed to.  Still waiting!!!!!!!!  Have had a couple of contacts with the owner of the place but it has lead nowhere.  Still no refund!!  Is this customary airbnb  behaviour?? Anybody??

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Eleanor104 what kind of cancelation policy did the host have? You get refunded automatically according to that policy. 

The cancellation policy was for Long Term.  We were booked for 49 days in San Miguel d'Allende.  The reply I received from Airbnb quoted a specific amount, to the penny, so I assume they knew exactly what the amount was to be since they (as I understand it) hold the money.

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Eleanor104  the long term cancelation policy is different. The first payment is non refundable. https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1361/how-do-changes-and-cancellations-work-for-longterm-reservat... And yes Airbnb holds the money. Haven't they released any refund, for the cleaning fee? 

That is definitely NOT our understanding.  We were advised if we cancelled within 30 days of arrival we could expect a partial refund.  I believe Airbnb believed that as well since the email I received from them said and I quote. "You will receive a partial refund of 873.09 Euros based on Mike's Long Term Cancellation policy"."  I also believe Airbnb may have made some changes to their policies after our booking date.   And no, we have not received anything.  I did receive an email from Mike awhile ago offering something but I wasn't clear on just what it was so I asked for an explanation but have not had an answer.  Very frustrating when you try to do the right thing.  We wanted to give Mike enough notice so he could relet. if possible.  If we had believed we would not get any of our money back we could have waited to cancel and it may not have been necessary.