How to include email addresses or URL's in an Airbnb message?

Answered!
Stephen-Y-Edda0
Level 3
Jerez de la Frontera, Spain

How to include email addresses or URL's in an Airbnb message?

As in the title, I'd like to know how to include email addresses or URL's in an Airbnb message. Such information normally gets deleted (masked out) when the message is posted. Thanks.

1 Best Answer

I understand. Some guests want to be completely sure before booking and would like to see the place. However Airbnb advices otherwise and doesn't promote having guests over without a booking. As I had mentioned, 1) For your saftey, as you do not want a thief disguised as potential guest reach your apartment. That'd be bad for you as well as the company's reputation and 2) Airbnb wants to eliminate alll possibilites that would allow guests to book directly with the hosts in order to avoid the service charges and taxes. That's bad for the business and the beautiful eco-system that they provide us. 

TIP: You've managed to send you send the mail-id this time but be careful, Airbnb has auto scanners that might detect this and flag your lisitng and send you are warning mail. It's best to avoid sharing sensitive information prior to booking, altough I completely understand your case and agree that the message app is not the best tool for hosts and guests to communicate. 

View Best Answer in original post

44 Replies 44

Ruthie3
Level 1
Simi Valley, CA

I have never wanted to bypass booking through airbnb because I feel it's safer to go through them!! There are those rare times you would like to have a back and forth conversation with a guest--maybe someone who is potential friend (which has happened), and in the end they always book thru airbnb. I can see many trying to bypass the system though, which is dumb, as you have some legal protection through airbnb. The are times I've had someone ask to "pay me under the table" I've declined!

Anyone know how to get an exception to providing my phone #? In a recent case, there is a lady who sometimes stays with her son near me, but next year wants to book with me as his place is too crowded, and we'd like to have coffee with each other while she's in town staying at her son's (we are both same age and have same kind of self-employed jobs). Kind of like couchsurfing, where you meet someone for coffee or such--she is more than willing to book through airbnb for next spring.

Ruthie

@Ruthie3 Contact Airbnb they should be able to help you connect with your potential guest.  

Andrew - see community help guides for many great FAQ

There's no live help phone to get help.   Only endless prowse with out step be step instructions.  

Hy Andrew,

I need to request a driving license from my guests before booking - I am renting out my van.

How is that possible?

regards Jens

We're not trying to bypass the system;   we want to book 2 months, and the system calendar will NOT allow the traveler to book more than one day.     

Richard271
Level 1
Gig Harbor, WA

How do we connect?  I've approved the travelor, we're in agreement... and now what.  When we try and connect via phone, a recording asks for some kind of "config URL #'s."   Where do we find this, so we can connetc and get our details ironed out?

Not a very user friendly site.  Appears it's customer run.  How convenient.... but not for us.

Thank you.

Chris537
Level 1
Zürich, Switzerland

Hi

It would be nice if Airbnb would agree on a "whithe list" of web sites. For example, I would like to provide in my listing the webseite of the Swiss Railway, so that they can check how far the accomodation is from a certain place.

Best Regards

Chrsi

Hi Chris.  Did you ever get a response to this?  I would also like to provide links to various services (fishing guides in my case) to prospective clients. I do not want to bypass Airbnb and am using their email but when providing links to allow clients to look around planning their trip, they are removed by Airbnb.

David985
Level 2
Great Barrington, MA

I have no problem with Airbnb excluding direct contact information between host and guest prior to confirmation, but communicating through the Airbnb email system is often unreliable, such as in its regularly cutting short text messages.

Once the guest is confirmed, Airbnb has no reasonable cause for curtailing direct contact information, and, indeed, some of the thread comments gere say that this is permitted, post-confirmation.

Alas, that has not been my experience, and not providingg direct contact information to the guest can create significant problems for me as a host.  While I provide detailed instructions and directions to incoming guests (and been praised for this many times), some guests either don't read through, or have trouble following such instructions, and want to call or text with questions (including directions!). 

I also find that the Airbnb email and text-pass-along system is clumsy to use, and sometimes want to have more control and use my email and/or text for direct communication.  Yet, even after a guest has confirmed and paid into Airbnb, my contact info gets stripped. Bad play, Airbnb--you are getting in the way of  host-guest communication that is, of course, a central component of ggood guest service provision.  I'd love to see a consistent and smart fix of this problem.

David985
Level 2
Great Barrington, MA

I have no problem with Airbnb excluding direct contact information between host and guest prior to confirmation, but communicating through the Airbnb email system is often unreliable, such as in its regularly cutting short text messages.

Once the guest is confirmed, Airbnb has no reasonable cause for curtailing direct contact information, and, indeed, some of the thread comments gere say that this is permitted, post-confirmation.

Alas, that has not been my experience, and not providingg direct contact information to the guest can create significant problems for me as a host.  While I provide detailed instructions and directions to incoming guests (and been praised for this many times), some guests either don't read through, or have trouble following such instructions, and want to call or text with questions (including directions!). 

I also find that the Airbnb email and text-pass-along system is clumsy to use, and sometimes want to have more control and use my email and/or text for direct communication.  Yet, even after a guest has confirmed and paid into Airbnb, my contact info gets stripped. Bad play, Airbnb--you are getting in the way of  host-guest communication that is, of course, a central component of ggood guest service provision.  I'd love to see a consistent and smart fix of this problem.

Greg79
Level 2
Zakopane, Poland

I'm interested in direct comunication by my email after reservation is confirmed!.

Airbnb emails not very practical if you need to ansver guest question while on mobile. Yesterday Client wrote question to as which I think came with delay. We had storm up here so in order to answer I need to sign in to AirBnB with all details; email and password.

I did not have it handy. If email goes directly to my email box I have no problem to answer. This way you need to sit by computer and have not interupted internet all day. I'm going to ask all my gusets who have confirm reservation to email me directly in case they have questions, not through airbnb. Isn't any think wrong with this?

I have a situation where the events on our resort property change monthly, and people want to know what is going on prior to booking. I have seen other posts where people have valid reasons to share websites and other information. These are legitimate reasons for allowing communication that is beyond the current scope. 

Can email addresses be shared with the host after the booking is made?

I haven't hosted my home-share since March due to COVID, so I can't say if this has changed, but I have many times asked guests for their email address so I could send them a map to my place and that hasn't been "Hidden by Airbnb" in messages once a booking is confirmed.

@Devika10