How to kick out unwanted guests who do not respect the house rules?

Athena1
Level 1
Hong Kong

How to kick out unwanted guests who do not respect the house rules?

I m doing Airbnb cos I live with my BF next door, just trying to cover my rent, most of the times things are going well. I have the feeling this time is not going right in the beginning. The guest started to do price negotiation in the beginning. Okay, I give them what they wanted as long as it covered the rent and all the other costs. This guests from Singapore are very annoying that they don't switch off the light and electricity, smoking inside the house. Cos I live next door, so I know it. What should I do? I have specify those as house rules, sent them email to remind them, send them whatsapp. Can I kick them out? I feel very stressful if I kick them out they will leave negative comment.
26 Replies 26
Kimberly38
Level 1
Springdale, AR

Absolutely boot them out! Then if they leave a bad review comment explaining what happened

I feel very bad just when I come home tonight. Guess what? I have opened a plastic bag with two towels. I was about to put them with the other clothes and bring it to the laundry tomorrow. And then I found out that the towels stink, with the smell of urine. For god sake, what kind of people will do that? Can you believe it? This is too much to digest. She is the worst guest ever!! Really!! I was about to let this go even tho she smoked inside the apartment. All the bed linen and blanket smell cigarettes. Again, I have repeatedly requested her to read the rules by email, in person, through Airbnb, by whatsapp.

I hope Airbnb is gonna help me to make this right!!
The towels has to go straight to the rubbing bin! No doubt!!

Kimberly, you re absolutely right! Now I stepped on my own feet cos I was too kind for that moment.... It s very disgusting to find this actually happened
Stina2
Level 1
New York, United States

I kicked guest out once they left me the worse review and Airbnb did nothing about it. They said that the guest is expressing their experience at my home. My account looks so bad because of that. 

@Stina2 I read through your reviews! You have so many wonderful, positive reviews. I scrolled through dozens of them and I still could not find the any that mentioned being kicked out.

Even if I did find that, I can't imagine any traveler thinking that one disgruntled guest was correct and all your hundreds of other happy guests were wrong.

That's right, Stina2.

Apparently, for AirBnB we have no rights; only guests have.

I already wrote letters to them and guess what: no answer.

They should at least add an option like if I would host this one again and another if I'd recommend to other hosts to accept. Very clearly. I do not accept smoke, alcohol or drugs but somebody else might be OK with that.

Kim-and-Jen0
Level 10
Oslo, Norway

I agree, you can kick them out if they broke the house rules. Just tell them nicely, the broke they house rules (pointed out which one) and you request them to leave the property. please communicate with them via airbnb email so it is recorded and airbnb know bout it too. if they write you bad review you can always write a response to their review. good luck.

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

completely agree with @Kim-and-Jen0

I go a step above that. You talk with AirBnB-do NOT try to do this on your own. They will open a ticket and facilitate moving that guest elsewhere. 

It is completely fine to kick people out-it is your home, not a hotel.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Athena1

Yes, keep the conversation to the guest about not following house rules and kicking them out on the official Airbnbn message board and also contact Airbnb directly to tell them that you need to kick them out. Otherwise the guest might turn on you with a fake story to Airbnb and that would make it more difficult to prove your case.

This is just another case of so many that guests wanting champagne on a beer budget (another host's words) are more often trouble than good guests.

Andrea9, you're so right!

And on the other hand, AirBnB keeps insisting to lower the prices; that will only bring those "champagne on beer" guests. That's why I'm resisting to have them automatically adjusted prices.

Sean63
Level 2
Philadelphia, PA

My guest just came back and pissed on my bathroom floor, presumably drunk, hopefully drunk- at least then I understand. I'm going to remain civil and wait until the morning to kick him out so Philly doesn't eat him alive.... grrrrr!!! This is a day early so I expect him to put up a fuss.

Have anyone had an experience kicking somebody out? Recently we had a food thief that was bothering other guests and in order to avoid drama, I made a lie, just gave her 10 days notice and 3 free days even though she was guilty. Now today I just recieved a group of drunk brits and I am very worried how this weekend is gonna go. Kicking out 7 drunk guys can be a very dangerous proposition.

Stina2
Level 1
New York, United States

I’m trying to Locke out some people as we speak. A guy booked for one person then appeared with 11 others to my 2 bedroom. They are smoking and doin drugs. I think that’s why they booked and arrived at 4am. Now, I have reported them to Airbnb but I need them out before all my neighbors start to give me the eyes. I don’t want to call the cops. What can I do. Pls help.