How to list my duplex?

Robin826
Level 2
Barrington, RI

How to list my duplex?

Hi, I'm a very new host and am concerned as to how to properly classify my listing.  The home is a duplex (side by side).  Completely private entrance, living space, patio, etc.  everything.  I just don't want to mislead anyone if they are not expecting a 2nd unit upon arrival.  Any suggestions?  Do I call it an entire home or an apartment?

Thank you in advance

13 Replies 13
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Robin826  - I think its an entire home. Perhaps a picture of the outside to make sure people know its attached to another would help.

Thank you, that's a great idea 🙂

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Robin826  Qualifies as an entire house as a duplex is usually not described as an apartment.  In your description, add information about who will be in the adjacent home.  Will there be other renters, short term guests or the property owners?  Good luck and welcome to Air BNB.

Thank you, that's a great idea.  I just want to make sure I'm full disclosure as I definitely don't want to start out my Airbnb journey with bad reviews!  So exciting, thank you 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Robin826 @Mike-And-Jane0  It's actually not a great idea to post a photo of the outside of the house. It can be a security issue for hosts- thieves target Airbnb homes, and prospective guests can possibly find the place if they drive around the area, and then approach the hosts to try to make some deal outside of Airbnb. Also assists nasty neighbors who want to get Airbnb listings shut down.

It's better to simply make it quite clear with the listing wording as to the nature of the listing.

Actually quite the opposite. There are a LOT of people won’t stay in an Airbnb if all that you show are interiors. I’m less worried about people recognizing the front of my place than people who won’t book because some very nice listings are in bottom-of-the-barrel buildings.  Going to a house with a peaceful lawn, or stacks of cars, wrought iron bars and barbed wire?  Two different creatures, in terms of experience. Safety, for guests is HUGE. Show the property. Always.

Brian Ross
Riley47
Level 2
Boise, ID

Hello how is the duplex going?

I was hoping to buy and rent one to larger parties and or just each unit individually.

I have a new listing for a hone and I am getting no bookings.. maybe because it’s January but how long does it take to get a booking Mt prices are cheap

Josh1349
Level 3
Leesburg, VA

I realize this post is old now but for me, as a renter, if I am looking to rent in a residential area (e.g. where there are single-family homes), then I expect "entire place" to mean "the whole house / building". I would feel misled if I clicked into it and then found out it's a duplex.

@Josh1349  "Entire place" on Airbnb means that it is a private space with its own entrance. It could be an entire house, a duplex, a cottage on the property where the host also resides, or a separate studio apartment within the host's home. You have to read the listing description to find out exactly what the situation is, or ask the host questions if you need clarification.

Having expectations or making assumptions that aren't based on the actual listing information is how guests end up booking a place that doesn't suit them.

I understand, it's just not "how I see it". Like you said, as long as it's in the listing information then it is okay and not misleading.

Brian1613
Level 10
West Palm Beach, FL

A duplex can be listed as a shared home with private rooms. It can be listed as two separate spaces.

Brian Ross
Libby138
Level 2
St Petersburg, FL

HI. I'm in same situation. I like things to "make sense". And the Airbnb selections currently DO NOT! How do they not have Duplex and Multiplex as options when they have Boat and Houseboat as separate?!?!?

I struggled with this same thing when we 1st launched. At first, I listed it as a home and disclosed in the description that it was a duplex. To no avail, people don't pay attention, and few had issues. It is unfortunate that Airbnb does not have an option of Duplex, but based on their descriptions it is not an apartment. So, I have since settled on including "Duplex" in my title. Since then, I have only had one person, lol, that apparently "didn't realize" and wanted to cancel outside the cancellation period. I let her cancel for refund because who wants to force someone to stay and get a bad review,  except I did charge her $100 Admin fee for wasting my time. I mean, it is in the TITLE for goodness sake! C'mon folks, please read.  🤓