How to mark pantry areas/cupboards that are off limits to guests?

Alula1
Level 2
Denver, CO

How to mark pantry areas/cupboards that are off limits to guests?

Hi all,

I was hoping to pick the community's brain regarding how to mark off limits areas to guests? I'm a co-host in a listing with a private room. We allow guests to use the kitchen; however, I don't want guests to get into certain cupboards/pantries, as these are where I keep my own food stuffs/supplies. We provide guests with their own cupboard/pantry space (and essentials like oil, salt, spices etc). I was thinking of using labels/stickers on the off limits areas that say "Not for Airbnb use" or "Do not enter", and mentioning this on the listing/at check in. Do you think this is acceptable, or do you feel that this would make guests feel unwelcome?

Thanks!

6 Replies 6
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Alula1  I'm not a fan of labels and post-it notes all over, I think it looks tacky. But you could make a graphically attractive note, in a small frame hung prominently on the kitchen wall, saying "Please be respectful and use only the cupboards designated for guest use, thank you." Since you greet them and point out what's available to them, they shouldn't need more than that reminder. You could put some cool, attractive stickers on the guest cupboards so they don't get confused.

If time allows, and you live onsite, I try not to overload guests with too much info when they first arrive- I'll show them where the lights switches are in their bedroom and bathroom, mention a few other things they need to know about those areas, then tell them I'll leave them to get settled and show them around the kitchen, etc, when they are ready. Guests are often tired from travelling when they arrive, may feel a bit disoriented in a new place, and just want to shower, unpack and relax on arrival. It's easier for them to absorb information when they've had a little wind-down.

For other areas than the kitchen, rather than Do Not Enter, a sign like "Private host area, no guest access" sounds more friendly. 

@Alula1  it really depends on the kind of environment you're trying to create. It wouldn't be unreasonable to put locks on the cabinets where you keep your personal supplies and maintain a firm sense of your boundaries, if you want to keep a clear divide between the realm of guest and that of host. You can also use a labeling system in hopes that guests will respect it (most of them genuinely will) and the resulting vibe will be something like student housing or a breakroom at the office.

Yet another approach is to simply remove kitchen access from your amenities list, so that you are free to pick and choose which guests have earned your trust enough to make exceptions and grant kitchen privileges as an extra perk. This is an underrated strategy that is instantly familiar to people with a background in the retail side of customer service.

Finally, one more option you have is to keep the barriers of entry to your home high enough that you'll only accept requests from people whose social graces have inspired your comfort in having them as a normal part of your household, like a friend or roommate. The people who book rooms in shared houses out of genuine enthusiasm for that dynamic would prefer this approach ; everyone else is pretty much just taking the cheapest thing they can find and not paying  attention to the rules or details. 

Very detailed and thoughtful response, Andrew. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Anonymous  The last option you mention is how I host and type of guests I normally get. I don't have any designated cupboards or drawers or fridge shelves for guests in the kitchen. I point out what is in each drawer, but they are welcome to rummage around to find what they need if they forget (it's not like there's anything private or embarrassing in there), and they and I both know and respect whose food is whose. They might ask if they can  use some of my milk, that they'll buy more when they go to town, and they do.

As I only host one guest at a time, it's easy. If there were multiple rooms rented out, it probably wouldn't work well like that.

Thanks for sharing your experience, Sarah!

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

Hi @Alula1 we have been guests using Airbnb and have chosen homes that share kitchen. Host usually shows where the pots, cutlery plates and condiments. Or they put the pepper and salt on the bench and give us half a shelf in the fridge. The host sets out the rules as we were guests we excepted these rules. A light breakfast was supplied and they left these on the bench or table for us in the morning. We also only stayed 1 or2 nights, also appreciate that we were sharing their home .But I do think some people do take a chance and try to get more for free. I wouldn't like signs up as you have to live there and it would start to look like a youth hostel or backpackers. Lastly, you have to do what works best for you.