How to properly and professionally write a review for a bad guest.

How to properly and professionally write a review for a bad guest.

This is my personal house that I only renting out because I am out of the country so I have extra income.

I do not want other hosts to accept these guests. To be fair, he was respectful when he asked for the phone number of the house caretaker (since I am in another country). That was the only communication we had. He is new at Airbnb and booked the house for 4 male adults and stayed for three nights. On the first day (Fri), they requested for a brand new sheet on Sunday. This is when I started to have doubts about these guests. Why would they want a change of sheet on the third day? They would bring extra guests and have sex in the house I thought. And it turned out I was right. Used condoms weere on the floor, and neighbors informed me that they brought a pretty girl(s) on different nights.

They also left my house a disaster. My kitchen most especially. Greasy kitchen tops, oven stove and floor and leftover food, unwashed dishes, cups and silverware. I think they had a party. Or probably they never wanted to wash dishes to start of with so they used all my extra dishes (was brand new, never used, box never opened, kept in cupboard). Im not complaining about them having sex, but it was with unallowed extra guests. They brought other people to my house. Unless four of them male adults had sex with each other (which is fine since they are guests, i cant control other's bodies etc), I feel like they turned my house into a brothel with women. I don't think they even bothered to read my house rules. I felt betrayed and disappointed that people would do such a thing.

How would I professionally review this? Because I do not want hosts to go through this. What will I do with revenge reviews/response? Or should I let it go and never accept them ever again? Did this ever happen to anyone here? I feel kind of sad. Because this is my personal house that is most probably turned into a brothel. Or should I just send them a personal message stating my disappointment? Or should I even bother? I am just new in airbnb. And they were my 10th guests and the first bad guests.

What should I do? Do you think the fact that they are new to airbnb means they do not know about house rules and that this is not a hotel/motel service? Or they are just people with no manners?

I don't want to stay in my house ever again. I think I will just turn it into a rental place forever...

P.S. These men works for the government and just happened to be in town for Election Day. 

7 Replies 7
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Hello @Kat94 i tend to avoid writing comments about bad guests because it's a double prompt for them to leave a comment about my accomodation or myself.

@Lilian20 So you don't review bad guests or how to understand your comment? 

I always do. I think it is my duty as a host to warn future hosts so they are aware of a potential bad guest.

And the guest won't be able to read my review before they have written one themselves. So I don't see the problem?

@Kat94

Unless you do what to go into details about bringing unapproved guests and not respecting house rules I think this is when a "better suited to a hotel" review would be appropriate. 

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @Kat94 🙂

I'm so sorry to hear about your terrible experience!

Here is a link on how to write a review and what to consider

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-to-handle-those-difficult-reviews/m-p/298189

When you write the review the guest won't be able to read it before after he wrote a review of you. So you can write an honest review and warn other hosts about the guest 🙂

Best, Sandra

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Tip that will help you keep a good ranking in airbnb :

....... if it is going to be an exchange of bad reviews, then wait for day 13 to write your review. 

This will generate an additional prompt for your guest to also come up with a review but your guest may not have time to do so because of the 14 days time limit. 

Check my newest listings: 

https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/24741148

https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/24739968

@Sandra856 Thank you for the link. I think I will wait a few more days before I post a review. Since I still have negative emotions regarding what happened, I don't think it would do me good to leave an honest review right now. The best response I can leave is @Jessica-and-Henry0's suggestion and I will just give them a low rating in terms of cleanliness and observance of house rules. Or if I have to add more to it, @Lilian20 I think it's a good idea to do it on the 13th day, and even if they leave an angry response, it will not be on my page (im not sure). 

Thank you all for your responses!

Best,

Kat

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

@Kat94 when you leave your comment on day 13, your guest is prompted if he has not left a review yet, then has only 1 day to write one. 

In all cases, if you re going to get a bad review, you want it to be displayed on your profile at the latest possible date (day 14). 

Comments are in chronological order on your profile and listing(s).

This means that ideally, you manage on following guests to exchange good comments very shortly after departure.

Basically, yoou want the newest good comments to be displayed first. 

Then on day 14 after departure of the bad guests, their bad comment will be displayed.

(it will be - trust this)

When displayed, the 14 days old bad comments will appear under the newest good ones.