How to reply to a bad (but true) review in public?

Nhan6
Level 2
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

How to reply to a bad (but true) review in public?

Hello Hosts,

I'm new on Airbnb hosting journey (about 3 months). I just had a not so good experience with one of my guest on the 1st Jan (how bad) that she suddenly found a cockroach in the bathroom. When receving her message, I was in the house in 20mins but she left immediately and requested for refund which I did it for her during an hour. 

She left me a review which  I don't know yet but 99% of possibility is a bad one (I asked her for a good review and she said sorry lol). The situation is I have neither received any feedback about cockroach nor from my self experience in my house but I must admit that it can happen here where I host. I also read through a lot of your advice here but I found nothing about how to reply professionally, yet calm and good for your futures guest for what happened (I mean the review is somewhat true) but not usual.

I would appreciate for any recommendation with actual review.

Happy Hosting!

9 Replies 9
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Nhan6,

I think you should wait for what the review says. If neccesary explain that this is a rare incident which can happen in your country, despite all efforts to prevent it.

Best regards,

Emiel

Nhan6
Level 2

@Emiel1

Appreciate your revert which is very helpful for me. I hope it’s not that bad but if she mentioned it, please allow me to use your words as part of my public review.

With best

Nhan

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Nhan6, did she send you any pictures? Did you see the cockroach yourself? Seems to be that some guests are playing dirty games with it to have their holidays for free. Let time pass and write your review on the last day without mentioning this problem. And after you see her review you can put polite and professional answer. But better not using the word cockroach. 

Nhan6
Level 2

@Yulianna0

Same thought here as I’m so disappointed that she left quite quickly and asked for refund right before check in time that I have 1 night unsold which left me no room to fix. On the other hand, I also share with her if it’s true that someone can be really frightened by cockroaches so I’m trying to not worry my future guests in public review which is really headache for me to find suitable excuse/ solution. Of course I will not mention this word but she would do already I’m afraid..

I’m really appreciated your revert and sharing.

Happy hosting

Nhan

Liz582
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I am in a similar situation, I had a guest who brought an un housetrained puppy, didn’t let me do the regular cleaning and then fabricated pictures to get money. I am going to wait for the last day to write a review but it is difficult to find the words that warn potential hosts. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I am one of those people that is creeped out by cockaroaches, @Nhan6.  Since she did not stay the night it would seem this is not a situation of a guest trying to get a free vacation.  So far your reviews reflect positively on both your listing and your hosting.  Should this traveler write a review, your response should acknowledge the validity of the complaint and state what steps you have taken to address the issue.  While cockaroaches are creepy, there are other critters that can be poisonous so it is important that you have a system of regular extermination.  

Sorry to hear about your experience. It can happen to the best of us. Though, don’t procrastinate - respond ASAP and apologise. It's not a sign of weakness; it shows that you care. Also, check out this article - it deals with exactly what you're facing now: https://www.airgms.com/bad-airbnb-review/

Nhan6
Level 2

@Kate-Mary0

Thank you. I will apologize and take some tips from the article.

Thanks

Nhan

Nhan6
Level 2

@Linda108 

Many thanks for your sharing. 

You are right, I somehow share her feelings so I’m trying to find a good way to reply so my future guests will not be so scared about it. Actually in my neighborhood the authority make the fumigation 2/year so dangerous ones don’t exist but cockroaches and ants can be found in rare case. It is the true but I’m afraid that saying it in the reply is still not good enough..

Much appreciate 

Nhan