Level 1
Point Clare, Australia

How to resolve neighbors complains

Hi

1 Best Answer
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The best way to resolve this is to have strict limits on number of cars a guest can bring and make sure you have comprehensive house rules which you enforce around ‘quiet hours’/no parties/no additional guests @Fay244 

View Best Answer in original post

12 Replies 12
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What are your neighbours compost about @Fay244 ?

Fay244
Level 1
Point Clare, Australia

My neighbors always complain my guests about too many cars parking in the street and music voice too loud.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The best way to resolve this is to have strict limits on number of cars a guest can bring and make sure you have comprehensive house rules which you enforce around ‘quiet hours’/no parties/no additional guests @Fay244 

Fay244
Level 1
Point Clare, Australia

Thank you Hellen, I will try.

Have any of your guests ever damaged a neighbors home? My guests decided to have a gun fight and Airbnb fixed my house- for the most part- but I have heard I will have to pay out of pocket for the repairs to my neighbors homes/ cars. Apparently nothing is covered by acts by guest do by Airbnb.

@Catherine2427 

This is frightening, I hope noone got hurt. Would You tell us how much airbnb payed to fix Your house?

Why would You have to pay for Your neighbours damage, shouldn't the gunfighters pay for that?

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Catherine2427 that's awful. No, I would not expect Airbnb to assume financial responsibility for any damage guests did to other property. I agree with @Ute42 that the guests themselves are responsible but I can see how it might be hard to collect from anyone who would do such a thing. Do you have liability insurance for your hosting business?

Noone was hurt. Airbnb paid about $9000 of the $9500 of damages to my house. I had about 40 bullet holes- They scarfaced by house with an AK47. She had a party and I guess a fight broke out- which are against rules. Then someone renting my house fired back at my neighbors house from my porch. Two neighbors have bullet holes and one popped tire and one popped windshield. It's my personal residence and I didn't even think about having renter insurance since my house is covered by Homeowners. Never dreamed anything would happen to my neighbors. Needless to say I have removed my house from Airbnb. Our neighborhood is talking about Banning Airbnb since they put "that girl" in my house they feel like it should be paid for by airbnb- per our neighborhood facebook page.

Apparently my neighbors are going to have to sue this girl- and just feel terrible- cause it's my fault- sorta.

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Catherine2427 most homeowner's insurance won't cover any rental business. 

I know that now... I was thinking I was Safe with Airbnb's policy- wouldn't have to claim anything on my homeowners- now I know that wouldn't cover a fire or anything and they most likely won't cover my neighbors houses- I have not asked yet especially since I'm no longer Airbnbing. 

@Catherine2427 you are not the first host to learn this the hard way, unfortunately. I think in your shoes I would pay for the neighbors' damage, if I could afford to, as a gesture of good will.

@Catherine2427   

While I believe that legally You are not obliged to pay for Your neighbours damages, I agree with @Lisa723   that You should pay something. If You don't handle this incident coutiously, Your neighbours may get even more upset as they already are and this could ruin Your relationship with them forever. I am glad to hear though that noone got hurt or even worse.