How to review this guest?

Denise-And-Larry0
Level 2
Saskatoon, Canada

How to review this guest?

Our current guests are a group of 4, they check out tomorrow. Last night one of the guys peed in the snow in our back yard right beside the deck and hot tub. Tonight they stayed in the hot tub until 11:45pm, past our hot tub hours, which are until 11pm. I’m thinking of giving them a 4 for cleanliness, a 4 for following house rules and a 5 for communication, provided there are no other surprises. How would you rate them? Would you give detail in the comments of the review or just say there’s room for improvement? Thanks for any advice!

14 Replies 14

@Denise-And-Larry0  I'd withhold a verdict on this group until after checkout. It would make a difference to me whether these were just a couple minor transgressions (as hot tubs seem to bring out in many people) or part of a broader pattern of disrespecting the home and the rules. 

One detail I wouldn't recommend including in the review is the peeing - any mention of bodily functions (as well as sex or drugs) is just too personal and tends to result in a review getting removed.

Thank you for your advice, it’s really appreciated! Yes! Agreed, I will wait until the suite is fully cleaned before leaving the review, I’ve learned that over time! Good to know about what could be removed. Thanks Andrew!

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Denise-And-Larry0  Giving a guest a 4 doesn't lower their score much, so go lower if you like.  They can't see their star ratings.  But guys love to pee outside, don't they?  🙂

You're expressing your opinion in the review, so you don't have to go into chapter and verse.  If they leave the place in good shape, you might say, "Although he communicated well and left the house in good shape, I was disappointed when this guest ignored some important house rules.  I hope he'll be more conscientious in future stays."  If they leave a mess, you can change it to, "Although he communicated well, I was disappointed in this guest, who ignored some important house rules and required more clean-up than usual.  I hope he'll be more conscientious in future stays."

Thank you so much for your feedback! I have crafted a draft of what the comment part of the review might say, it is similar to what you are suggesting so that is very helpful. I think I’ll be more specific but tactful and honest in the private comments for their benefit. Thanks again Ann!

I don't know if I would say anything in private to him at all unless he asks, @Denise-And-Larry0.  If he messages you about it, you can tell him how important the hot tub hours are because you have neighbors.  But I would draw a veil across the peeing in the snow 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Denise-And-Larry0  Well, all the guys I've ever known will pee outside if convenient. Disregarding the hot tub hours falls under the house rules rating, but marking down on cleanliness because a guy peed in the snow sounds absurd to me.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I'd change the hot tub hours to 10pm. That way, people will still push the boundary until 10.45. They will feel naughty but you still have 15 mins to spare. Win.

Kristin108
Level 10
Scotts Mills, OR

@Denise-And-Larry0

Although outdoor urination is disrespectful, especially if it shows up in snow... I would count yourself lucky that they didn't do it IN the hottub!20200425_BaliHouse_216 copy.jpg

Hot tub rules are EXTREMELY difficult to enforce. And  violations almost impossible to prove!

Pick your battles... Maybe a four star rating for disrespecting house rules... But something to consider; the review system is no longer the tool it used to be. And it can backfire on you if you are too picky...

@Kristin108   People are definitely peeing in the hot tub. When surveyed, around a third of people tend to even admit that they do, but I presume that most have the courtesy to do it discreetly while in the water rather than perch themselves above.

Yes @Anonymous I change my water almost every guest. This is a big job with 2 tubs for guests on my property.

DSC_3862 copy.jpgI also require that the shower before each use, and meet and greet each guest to explain the property to them in person. 

I still would say only about half the guests shower... Way worse since Covid, as the rules just don't seem to apply... And so many guests are not accountable and unable to interact well in person...

I wish I had some of the red dye that you can put in a swimming pool... We always joked about it as kids.

@Kristin108  Like that red dye that dentists used to put on kids teeth to teach them how to brush properly.

I know the thought of people peeing in the pool or hot tub is really gross to some, but urine is actually sterile, so it isn't teeming with bacteria or anything.

Fleta0
Level 1
Cloquet, MN

I am having a similar issue with disrespectful guests. Actually I am afraid to post anything negative in the review for fear of retaliation—they know where I live. They left their dog in the home while they went out, used washer/dryer in an off limits part of the house without permission, turned on every light in the house and left them on for the whole visit (only one night tyg) and left big black grimy marks on the white carpet in the bedroom—no explanation. Their profile posted no pic, only a black circle. I tried to communicate with Airbnb about this, unclear as to if foregoing a review of them would hurt my superhost status—no useful response….yet—guidance appreciated

@Fleta0  Not reviewing does not affect your Superhost staus or anything else.

But failing to review bad guests is a real disservice to your fellow hosts. This is how bad guests get to continue to go on to behave badly in other Airbnbs. You need to warn other hosts.

I have often read hosts being worried about some physical retaliation for a bad review, but I have never read off such a thing happening. Guests aren't going to come back and burn down your house because they got a bad Airbnb review.

You can be general in your review, rather than specific. It's always more helpful to other hosts to mention what the issues were, but if you feel you can't, something like  "Due to numerous issues with this guest, I would not host them again" would be sufficient. Then give them low star ratings for following house rules and cleanliness and mark "Would not host  again" (Guests cannot see anything but the written review).

And learn to vet your guests better. You can require that guests have a profile photo, for instance, and if you don't feel okay about them when they message you with a booking request, decline the booking. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Fleta0 just be honest and unemotional in your review. 

"So and so was a quiet/friendly/interesting person (whatever nice thing that is true you can say.) There were some issues following house rules regarding pets and private areas of the house. Extra cleaning was needed on departure."

Short and to the point. Leave it on the last possible day of the review window, especially if they have not left you are review. Reviews are not published until they are both left or 14 days has passed. Mark them appropriately in house rules (3?) Cleanliness (2 or 3 depending on how permanent the damage was) and whatever you think is fair in communication. Guests can't see your star ratings-- only hosts who have instant book turned on can. The review and ratings are for us, so that we can make a decision about whether our space is a fit. 

As to the question "would you host this person again?" answer honestly. If you say no they won't be able to use instant book and have to request a reservation. That gives hosts the time to review their profile. They aren't informed of this answer.

Guests generally don't seek out hosts to destroy their spaces because of bad reviews, but its not a bad idea to invest in some security cameras and change door codes regularly.