How to turn down an inquiry.

Miriam554
Level 1
Portland, OR

How to turn down an inquiry.

Hello,

I have question as to how to turn down an inquiry by being polite as well as following airbnb etiquette.  Ok, the being polite part is not difficult it's the following the etiquette part where it get fuzzy.  

I've had 3 scenarios that all have followed a similar pattern.  A guest books, but I need to approve before the booking is complete.  They have just joined airbnb or have joined up to 3 years prior.  They either have no reviews or only 3 reviews.  The uneasy feeling starts to hit that something isn't right. This feeling comes from how their communication comes across and the lack of references they have.  My thinking has been that I "have" to book these guests or I will get dinged by airbnb.  These are not instant bookings, I have to approve first.  

After the guests have checked out there is always damage done or the place left pretty messy.

I am only into hosting about 7 months and still learning the ropes.  

Airbnb says to use your intuition but I am still trying to find a the right way to turn down a request that just doesn't feel right and have been somewhat burned by booking these in the past. 

Most guests are solid and leave the place in immaculate condition and are very respectful. Which makes these inquiries of this ilk a bit difficult to handle correctly.

Any tips or information would be greatly appreciated.  

Cheers!

Miriam

2 Replies 2
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Miriam554  First of all, you need to understand the difference between an Inquiry and  Booking Request. I say that because you have used the terms interchangably here. For an Inquiry, you have 3 choices- pre-approve, decline, or just message back. Just messaging back on an Inquiry stops the 24 hour clock from ticking (altho you will get pesky notices from Airbnb urging you to pre-approve, but you can safely ignore those). So if a guest has written something that makes you uneasy, or that indicates they haven't bothered to read through all your listing info, you can just message back, explaining why your place isn't suitable for their needs, or if it's just a matter of insufficient info, ask them more questions. Most of my guests have sent nice, informative mesages right off the bat, and I just go ahead and pre-approve those (which doesn't necessarily mean they'll go on to book). If they just send a message like "Arriving about noon" when I haven't even pre-approved yet, I'll prod them a bit and that usually leads to a more forthcoming message. I might say something like "Hi XX, thanks for your interest in booking with me. I just want to ensure you have read everything on my listing and are aware that....." A lot of people these days are just used to sending quick text messages and don't really think about the fact that as hosts, we want to know a bit about the people who are asking to book our homes.

If it's a Booking Request, you do have to either accept or decline within 24 hours, but you can still message with the guest before then if you'd like more info or to make them aware of things it seems like they didn't bother to read. If they are non-responsive, or they still make you uncomfortable, just decline the request before the 24 hours are up.

As you said, most guests are great, so it's a matter of learning how to deal with the ones we have doubts about. I have had many guests with no or few previous reviews, or who have just joined, and all but one have been fine as well, but you may need to make sure they have read through your listing description and understand what they are booking, as well as re-iterate your house rules and expectations re respecting the space and cleaning up after themselves. And when they arrive, make sure to tell them that if they are unsure about how to work something, to ask you, rather than use it improperly and break it, and if they damage anything, that hosts appreciate it when the guest lets them know rght away. Accidents do happen, but we are usually much more willing to chalk it up to normal wear and tear if the guest fesses up, rather than hiding it or not mentioning it and just walking away. As for the messy guests, well, some people are just messy. I've found it evens out and the ones who leave it clean and tidy are more common than the ones who leave it a pigsty. It's just part of hosting to accept that sometimes you'll have a heavier cleaning job, or have a few items stained beyond salvaging.

Of course if they do major expensive damage, they should be charged for that.

Sarah I really appreciate the descriptive information.  You are right about needing to know the difference between airbnbs Inquiry vs Booking request.  Your reply has certainly helped me understand some of the ins and outs of these situations.  Including the some people are just messier than others.  

I will also be more communicative with asking a guest if they have read through the full listing in order for them to understand the house rules and check out rules.

Also mentioning that if they don't know how it works to please let me know and I will walk them through the process.

And yes, several guests have been very forthcoming with any damage that has been done (save one) and have offered to compensate.  These guests have kept my interest in hosting.  Like you said, it's just learning how to deal with the unease.

Super helpful.

Thank you!

Miriam