How to word a message to guest that a dog is not allowed

Answered!
Crystal223
Level 2
Chandler, AZ

How to word a message to guest that a dog is not allowed

I just found out that a current guest has a big dog at my property. I have it stated in several places that pets are not allowed to protect other guests from allergies. How would you word a message to them that they are in violation of the house rules and that they can not have the dog at them home. 

1 Best Answer

@Crystal223 this is pretty good but it is a mixed message. You say you "cannot" have animals in the home but then you say you would allow it for a fee. Maybe...

"I hope you are enjoying your stay so far. I wanted to bring to your attention that dogs are not allowed at this property. This is stated in the listing in several places. Many of our guests have pet allergies, therefore we do not allow animals in the home. There are several local places that can board your pet, or if you have family or friends in the area maybe they would agree to have your pet at their house during your stay. If these options do not work for you, as a one-time accommodation we will allow the pet for a $100 fee to cover the extra cleaning that will be required. Please make sure all pet waste is picked up. Thank you for your understanding and please let me know how you would like to proceed."

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5

@Crystal223  Your listing does say no pets, though I didn't spot any specific language about allergies. You could get some pushback from Airbnb if the guest claims the dog is a service animal, so bear strongly in mind what end result you're aiming for here. 

Do you want to terminate the booking due to the rule violation, or are you open to negotiation?

@Anonymous

I am willing to negotiate with them. I was thinking of sending them the following:

I hope you are enjoying your stay so far. I wanted to bring to your attention that dogs are not allowed at this property. This is stated in the listing in several places.  A lot of our guests have allergies or are allergic to animal dander and hair, therefore we cannot have animals in the home. There are several places that you can board your family pet or if you have family or friends in the area maybe they would agree to have your pet at their house during your stay. If these options do not work for you I would allow the pet for a $100 pet fee. Please make sure all pet waste is picked up. Thank you for your understanding and let me know how you would like to proceed.  

@Crystal223 this is pretty good but it is a mixed message. You say you "cannot" have animals in the home but then you say you would allow it for a fee. Maybe...

"I hope you are enjoying your stay so far. I wanted to bring to your attention that dogs are not allowed at this property. This is stated in the listing in several places. Many of our guests have pet allergies, therefore we do not allow animals in the home. There are several local places that can board your pet, or if you have family or friends in the area maybe they would agree to have your pet at their house during your stay. If these options do not work for you, as a one-time accommodation we will allow the pet for a $100 fee to cover the extra cleaning that will be required. Please make sure all pet waste is picked up. Thank you for your understanding and please let me know how you would like to proceed."

@Crystal223  I would use @Lisa723 language.  If this is a pet, you don't have to give any reason why you don't allow pets, so there is no need to add in the allergy stuff.  But, be aware that if they claim this is a 'service or emotional support' animal that you will have to host them with no pet fee.  You can however cite the paragraph in Airbnb's TOS that the expectation is that emotional support and service animals are expected to be with their person and not left alone at the property, cause damage or be in any way out of control.

@Lisa723 

You make a great point. Thank you for the updated wording.