How to write a mediocre review

Clare241
Level 2
Lincoln, United Kingdom

How to write a mediocre review

I’ve had recent guests (4 young adults and 2 babies) who were lovely with great communication but left the kitchen and lounge of our cottage in a bit of a pickle requiring extra cleaning which is fine, but it just felt like a lack of respect.

A few dirty pots, food left in the microwave, cooker hob left greasy, placemats stacked up but not wiped and with food left stuck to them and food ground into the dining chairs.  Nothing that wasn’t fixable but all took time.

Added to that they took the remote control out of the sealed COVID plastic bag even though I’d asked them not to (new plastic bag for every guest, which they were aware of)

I wouldn’t go as far as “more suited to a hotel setting” just disappointed as I’d provided a signification mid-week discount and checked them in early and allowed them to check out at anytime before 4pm as I was working so not able to clean until the evening.

Do I just mark them down on cleanliness and write something bland or point out my issues in the private note but that doesn’t help other hosts.

They have used airbnb previously and have 4* on previous reviews for everything.

They’ve left me a review so I feel I should write something.

Thanks for any advice

8 Replies 8

Hi Clare

I would definitely mark them down for cleanliness based on your comments. I think any concessions youve made are between you and them but if theyve not followed your house rules then you should make sure that other potential hosts are aware of this for future. 

Clare241
Level 2
Lincoln, United Kingdom

Thanks @Jo719, I’m not worried about the concessions, it was to illustrate that they didn’t have to leave in a hurry to meet checkout times, therefore could have spent 10 minutes tidying up in my opinion.  But I’m probably getting old so don’t understand the youth of today lol

Jan7930
Level 1
Truro, United Kingdom

Tough one. I've only ever had two sets of guests that really annoyed me. I just didn't leave them a review. But I guess if you want to help other hosts and you don't want them back again you could mark them down on cleanliness and house rules. Sometimes the younger adults are less mindful and probably think... well we pay a cleaning fee.

Clare241
Level 2
Lincoln, United Kingdom

Thanks @Jan7930 I think you are right that younger adults think they’ve paid a cleaning fee so it doesn’t matter.

The cleaning fee only covers the laundry costs so perhaps I need to make that clear in my listing

@Clare241   Star ratings are not in and of themselves helpful in making an informed decision. Personally, I feel that if the written content of the review doesn't support the "marks," it's no more useful than leaving no review.

The typical sentence for situations like this is "more than the expected amount of cleaning was required." That can be sandwiched between positive comments and still get the point across.  

Clare241
Level 2
Lincoln, United Kingdom

Thanks @Anonymous that’s a great sentence I’ll steal with pride

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Clare241  Yes, please do mention the lack of clean-up in the written review. Although some hosts who don't use IB have reported lately that the star ratings for guests are suddenly visible in some part of their hosting account, hosts who don't use Instant Book have never before been privy to seeing guest ratings. We only have the written reviews to go on.

Also, star ratings are completely subjective, whether they are given by guests or hosts.

Some fussy hosts might consider the guest leaving a few dirty breakfast dishes in the sink in their rush to check-out on time to be cause for a 3* rating, other hosts would consider that to be no big deal normal and leave 5*s.

@Clare241 

You should write in the review more or less what you wrote here.......something like this?

Great communication but required extra cleaning after checkout. Nothing that wasn’t fixable but all took a lot of extra time and effort. The condition of our kitchen seemed to show a lack of respect for our home.

IMO, reviews should be based on facts, but should also reflect your personal experience as a host hosting those guests in your home/listing.