How would you define the guest with almost 50 reviews (5-star) and only a few left for the hosts?

Jasmina17
Level 4
Tuzla, Bosnia and Herzegovina

How would you define the guest with almost 50 reviews (5-star) and only a few left for the hosts?

Since all hosts' activities and efforts are evaluated, should the same practice be applied to guests? 

24 Replies 24
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jasmina17  How would I define them? Lazy and self-centered.  

I'm sure they were quite happy to get all those 5* reviews on their profile, yet didn't appreciate that the hosts took time to review them, and 5*s no less, enough to reciprocate.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

That's why I now do not review the guest unless they review me. If the guest wants the satisfaction of my good review, then they can review me. (Unless the guest is bad, then I will review them to warn other hosts.)

I also adopted this practice, after several times being without reviews ..

How do you know if the guest has given you  a review? I never get any notification that the guest has reviewed me until I post my review.  Am I doing something wrong?

@Alan-and-Angie0 

When one or the other parties reviews, the other party gets an automated email informing the other has loaded their review. The email further reminds to reciprocate within the 14 days deadline in order to see the review.

Therefore, your comment suggests that to date you have written your reviews before your guests.

I never knew that.  Thank you.

René137
Level 7
Montreal, Canada

Unfortunately some guests don't bother spending some time writing reviews, so I wait them to review first.

Jasmina17
Level 4

Do you think that there also should be some evaluation, for example in percentage, of guests' level activity in leaving reviews?
I mean, our response time, the percentage of the reviewed stays, location, check-in, value (which is often misunderstood), etc. are evaluated, while guests are evaluated on the basis of only three characteristics.

I think it would be encouraging for guests to track the percentage of their involvement in leaving reviews after their stays, as well as have some benefits from that.

I think that's a good idea (although now I'd be losing some points since I only give reviews once the guest finishes their review first). I once was also frustrated with those uncompleted reviews before and pointed out some suggestions:

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Unfinished-Reviews-by-guests/m-p/1131789

In my case only 70% of the guests left reviews.

Jasmina17
Level 4

Your suggestions are excellent.

I reviewed my guests 100% and I am pleased with my 90% guests' reviews, although I cannot understand the guests who want to get a review for every stay and leave handwritten messages for their hosts, but avoid leaving any public feedback. 

@Jasmina17  What we as hosts would like to see as far as guests having to be subject to some evaluations like we are, will never be implemented by Airbnb. Their interest is in removing impediments to booking for guests, not giving hosts more tools with which to vet prospective guests.

First they remove our ability to see profile photos before accepting, then they bury our house rules at the very bottom of our listing where guests will not scroll down to, then they change the "pre-booking message" to post booking, now they put a heading over the house rules called "Things to keep in mind", as if the rules aren't all that important. 

The company's entire focus is on having bookings roll in as fast and furiously as possible and they will do whatever they can think of to facilitate that.

Jasmina17
Level 4

I appreciate your comments and share your thoughts except for the laziness because the specific guest has left me lovely handwritten note (now I know it is not honest) thanking me and giving compliments, and even little drawings in the note :))

@Jasmina17  Do you let guests know that leaving a review for you if they've enjoyed their stay will be highly appreciated? I don't know if some guests realize that it's quite important to hosts, especially if a host doesn't have a lot of reviews yet. 

Jasmina17
Level 4

Dear Sarah,

I do not do that in such open manner because I think that both hosts and guests are aware of the Airbnb idea of exchanging reviews as the basis of the functioning and supporting homesharing.

I am going to include your suggestion in my future checkout message. Thank you 🙂 
However, when I sum it up now, this specific guest I have started conversation about message me without answering the pre-reservation questions, even without 'hi', was very slow and reserved in answers and in unappropriate time, without including my name in the messages, and let me know the time of arrival less than 24 h in advance (our check-in is flexible). I always responded politely having in mind that they are away from home and offered all possible support and help, and finally due to the fact that guests have special place in our B&H culture and the only way we could think of treating our guests is with respect.