Hurricane Matthew - can a guest cancel without penalty?

Hurricane Matthew - can a guest cancel without penalty?

Hurricane Matthew's path is still undetermined. A guest told me this morning that it is expected to hit land in his town on Saturday and that he can't travel to Charleston, SC because of this. The rule under extenuating circumstances is rather vauge and I am just looking to get a better explination. 

9 Replies 9
Penny7
Level 2
South Miami, FL

I'm in Miami and have a guest coming at the end of the week, so I'm wondering whether I should cancel her... I'd like to know the penalties for this, too.

You never cancel a guest - you let them make the decision and initiate the cancellation.

Well we have the strict policy set up and this guest is due to check in this weekend. So if they want to cancel, according to our cancellation policy, they would be unable to get a refund. They are saying that they can cancel through airbnb because of incliment weather and get a full refund. I am just curious about whether or not a hurricane that may or may not hit charleston or their home town is a reason for a full cancellation on their end.

@Kevin150   The guest is not necessarily correct. Airbnb is very iffy on the subject of extenuating circumstances, saying 'What might be covered?' rather than what is covered.  It appears that the onus is on the guest to cancel first and then apply for a refund - take their chances as it were, but have to prove it too with documentation.  Whatever you do, don't cancel, you will be penalized, maybe fined $100,  have the dates blocked and have a note on your review section saying you cancelled the guest, which never looks good because there is no explanation as to why.

Airbnb will determine if the guest fits the "extenuating circumstances" policy.  During a horrible storm in DC a guest cancelled the day of because of weather.  But the weather was mild here in Durham.  Since the roads weren't closed and businesses were open in DC, they said she should have been able to travel and denied her refund claim.  She then reached out to us to seek the full amount, which we declined.  

Don't speculate on if a guest will be reimbursed.  You have a cancellation policy and Airbnb will honor it. If Airbnb wants to refund, that's on them.  

Someone will soon say that weather conditions you don't want to deal with are covered with Travel Insurance, which is true.  If the guest didn't procure it, that's not the fault of the host.  

Kevin or, rather, Walkaway Properties- 

You have 50 property listings.  You have a business model big enough to cover any losses that might come about from Hurrican Matthew if it should come ashore.  If a guest wants to avoid even trying to come to Charleston, they can cancel.  If they want to try and get a refund, they need to do that through Airbnb unless you are willing to give them whatever portion of the funds you will receive back to them.  

Tina98
Level 1
Lake Geneva, WI

I am also wondering if i can cancel if hurricane hits myrtle beach and theres no power and things are closed do i get a full refund i booked under strict policy
David567
Level 1
Charleston, SC

Hey Kevin, I'm here in Charleston also and my guests have obviously canceled because of the storm.  I was able to refund my guest the full amount but it appears that we both have to forfeit the Airbnb service fee, but I'm not completely sure of that because of the vague nature of their policy, which mentions nothing in regard to fees. 

And any idea how we get in contact with someone from Airbnb?  

@David567:  Call Airbnb and explain and you will most likely get a refund.  I have them on speed dial at 415-800-5959.  Saved this number when tropical storm Hermine hit my town of Ocean City, Maryland over Labor Day weekend.  The Airbnb rep was fantastic about it.  You can locate more numbers for them by using the search field above.  Hope this info helps.