I Need Guest ID Reverified. ABNB would/could not do this.

Kathy842
Level 5
Dallas, TX

I Need Guest ID Reverified. ABNB would/could not do this.

Last night guest instant booked for 14 nights, beginning today. Less than a day in advance. Zero reviews. New account opened less than a month ago. I have messaged guest with questions a few times. Guest will not engage or answer questions. I have called the phone number provided many times. Guest will not answer the phone. I have texted the phone number. Guest will not reply. Picture indicates guest is less than 22 years old. Guest finally answered phone last night after many attempts. The young man that answered said Richard (guest that booked) left his phone and is not home. He said he is traveling with Richard. I asked the reason for their travels. He said Vacation.  I am not comfortable with this for many reasons. Each reason is understandable. but its the combination: #1 They wont answer my messages or calls. #2. I did a search of the phone number. This is the first time my phone search had no available info. Likely a burner phone. #3 New account/no reviews. #4 The your man I spoke to said they stayed in ABNB's before with friends. #5  A 2 week vacation for 18-23 year olds?  #6  The phone number indicates they are local. #7  I asked the young man if I need to accommodate smoking. They said they can smoke outside. My experience of young smokers is that they usally smoke marijuana as well and will smoke both inside.

#8 I did a search of his first and last name/location. There were about 5 results age ranging 47 - 70. 

I called ABNB and asked that they look at his ID and verify his DOB is in line with the picture. I was not asking for his DOB or info to be given to me. Just that they verify the age range with picture. They would/could not do it. With ABNB's history of refunding guests (professional scammers) after longer stays I don't want to risk taking a 2 week reservation with all these unknowns. I would have been willing to host 3 nights. 

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kathy842  So why not just cancel the booking? Have you used up your 3 free IB cancellations? If so, my understanding is that you can still cancel penalty free by telling Airbnb you are uncomfortable with the booking.

it might help to change your settings

Kathy842
Level 5
Dallas, TX

I learned that "Identity Verified"  does not mean that a government ID was provided. Seems Abnb rarely asked for government ID. 

@Kathy842 This sounds like a hard no. Just cancel, since it’s instant book you have leeway to do that. Tweak your IB settings, and increase your minimum notice to at least 2 days. Also require recommendations from other hosts. Checking every box for IB is a good idea.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

DON’T DO IT.

If they won’t communicate now you can expect worse things once they are in there.