I am a 5 year Super host with a 5 star rating.

Marie447
Level 1
Summerhill, PA

I am a 5 year Super host with a 5 star rating.

I am elderly and live alone in a rural area.  My AirBnB is in my primary private residence.

I have been notified that my super host designation is going to be taken away because I cancelled a potential guest who wouldn’t respond to numerous messaging requests to know what kind of dog she was bringing into my home.  I had sent messages and tried to call the AirBnB verified number with no response back from the guest.

That AirBnB verified phone number was not a working number.  So after numerous attempts to contact her I canceled the reservation.

After 5 successful years hosting,  I am no longer going to be designated Super host because it appears AirBnB punishes hosts for 1 cancellation and expecting accurate vetting/verification of guests by AirBnB.

4 Replies 4
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Marie447 

You are allowed having 1 cancellation per 100 reservations (1%) in past 12 months

Before cancelling yourself you can try to contact Airbnb about the issue with the unresponsive guest and ask  them to cancel.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Emiel1 

That answer may not be completely correct.  @Marie447 did not state that she had 100 bookings in the last rolling 365 days.

For example, if a host is seasonal and only has 50 guests in 365 days and 1 cancellation.  That results in a 2% cancellation rate without the opportunity  to achieve 1 cancellation out of 100 for a rolling 365 day period.  I know this for  fact because that's my situation.  I had to cancel 1 booking in June 2021 (cancelled 2 months prior)  and I will lose SH April 1, 2022.  Yes, I have had multiple conversations with CS. 

Unfortunately, the guest wanted to bring 6 to my max 4 listing, after booking.  Still I lose.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@M199 

Did you asked Airbnb to cancel the reservation ? Bringing 6 people into an accommodation for maximum 4 people is not only a violation of what you offer in your listing, but also involves a risk for Airbnb when it comes to damage claims etc.... if there is proof (message system ?) of such a potential  issue Airbnb can/should not support such a reservation.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

@Emiel1 

To answer honestly, no, I didn't contact Airbnb initially.  However, all was via messaging. That was my first and only cancellation.  I was new as to how the cancellation would impact me.  I didn't know any better.  I have tried several times to explain the situation to Airbnb CS, explaining, but to no avail. 

As well, we are now bylaw regulated to the same standard I set last year.

The related problem is that we are seasonal from April to October, so we lose 5 months of the year, we are open about 208/365 days.  Therefore, the math on 1% cancellation rate not favourable to seasonal hosts.