I am dealing with pricing for my listing

Answered!
Marta-Alicia0
Level 3
San Salvador, El Salvador

I am dealing with pricing for my listing

So I recently updated the price for my listing, I host a private room with a private bathroom and a terrace for one person and I would like some people of the airbnb community to take a look at my listing and tell me your opinions about your pricing and if you were to go to my place it would be ok to you? 

I have been thinking in putting making the room available for two guests instead of only one, I wanted to know about your advice. 

do you think more people would come to my listing if I set it up for 2 guests? 

I am wondering because I haven't received many inquiries and only one reservation for august, and I was wondering if everything seems ok with my listing? 

I just thought that more people would be making a reservation for the summer. 

I would like to know if somebody can tell me that if I set up the listing for two people, more people would come? 

Thanks,

I am not sure what to do to attract more guests,

Thank you

Best Regards,

Marta**

1 Best Answer

@Marta-Alicia0   Yes, I know that we definitely have a tourist season in Mexico and probably where you are as well? So good booking rate about half the year, and then super slow down. So if most of your past guests have been tourists, that could explain poor booking rate. But maybe you get people also in the city for business or other reasons?

I can't comment on your pricing, as I don't know what other listing go for in your area. $20 for 2 people seems really inexpensive. The best way to figure out pricing is to go onto the airbnb site as if you were a guest (log out of your account first and then just go on the site as if you were someone without an airbnb account) type in San Salvador, and type in the filters a guest would use for your place- 2 guests, one bedroom, private bath, etc. Then compare your pricing with other listings that come up. And keep in mind that just because a listing is set up for the same number of people as yours, with similar amenities, doesn't mean your price should be the same- just because a place sleeps 2, with private bath, use of kitchen, etc doesn't mean it is comparable- it may be a dumpy, ugly place as compared to yours, they may have reviews saying it was dirty or that things were not as advertised. Look at the photos and reviews, in addition to the prices for other places in San Salvador. 

And don't price yourself too low- that tends to bring some poor quality guests and you don't want to be cleaning and providing amenities and paying for utilities for almost no profit. You have to strike a balance between what people are willing to pay in your area with what makes it worth your while to host. I could probably up my price a bit, as this is a very expensive town, but I like to keep it affordable and I determined that I can list for the price I do and still not feel like I'm hosting for peanuts. 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Marta-Alicia0   Your place looks charming. Your listing description looks fine and you have lots of wonderful reviews. Did you have lots of bookings last summer? Are other places around you getting summer bookings? I am quite a ways north of you in Mexico, my listing is very similar to yours, 1 bedroom w/private bath, outdoor terrace, use of kitchen. But I can tell you that I get almost no bookings from June through Sept. It's just too hot for most people- most tourists who come here on vacation in the summer want a place with AC and a pool, neither of which I have. For me, that's fine, I go to Canada for a month, and use the other time to work on my place.

As to your pricing, I don't know what other places list for around you. Your place seems very reasonable. I see that the guest room has a double  (or maybe queen) size bed, so you could always try listing for 2 at a slightly higher price (or just charge a bit for an extra guest) and see if that brings more bookings. I only host solo travelers, the bedroom is quite small (although it has lots of windows and a high ceiling, so doesn't feel cramped at all) and can't fit more than a single bed. I also find I like hosting solo travelers, we end up having really interesting converstions, some become friends, whereas I think couples tend to stick to themselves more.

Marta-Alicia0
Level 3

@Sarah977 Than you for your response. 

I did not have open the listing for the last summer. I opened the listing in September and I took me a while to get a first booking and to get more bookings after it. Everyhting was better when the months of November and December approached. 

I just followed your advice and made the room $20 per night for two people, is this reasonable or you think is too high? 

Thanks for everything. 

Best Regards

@Marta-Alicia0   Yes, I know that we definitely have a tourist season in Mexico and probably where you are as well? So good booking rate about half the year, and then super slow down. So if most of your past guests have been tourists, that could explain poor booking rate. But maybe you get people also in the city for business or other reasons?

I can't comment on your pricing, as I don't know what other listing go for in your area. $20 for 2 people seems really inexpensive. The best way to figure out pricing is to go onto the airbnb site as if you were a guest (log out of your account first and then just go on the site as if you were someone without an airbnb account) type in San Salvador, and type in the filters a guest would use for your place- 2 guests, one bedroom, private bath, etc. Then compare your pricing with other listings that come up. And keep in mind that just because a listing is set up for the same number of people as yours, with similar amenities, doesn't mean your price should be the same- just because a place sleeps 2, with private bath, use of kitchen, etc doesn't mean it is comparable- it may be a dumpy, ugly place as compared to yours, they may have reviews saying it was dirty or that things were not as advertised. Look at the photos and reviews, in addition to the prices for other places in San Salvador. 

And don't price yourself too low- that tends to bring some poor quality guests and you don't want to be cleaning and providing amenities and paying for utilities for almost no profit. You have to strike a balance between what people are willing to pay in your area with what makes it worth your while to host. I could probably up my price a bit, as this is a very expensive town, but I like to keep it affordable and I determined that I can list for the price I do and still not feel like I'm hosting for peanuts. 

Marta-Alicia0
Level 3

Thank you Sarita, 

this was very enlightining, I appreciate your comment, I have listed the room as $18.00 per night for two guests, I haven't had any booking just yet but hoping soon. 

I agree with your comments and I appreciate them

Best Regards

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Marta-Alicia0

On your listing 2 people can book for the price of 1, but your listing has this statement:

*Important to note: If you have someone else traveling with you, he/she can stay with you for an additional cost $10.00 (There's a double bed in the room)

Airbnb can do this for you automatically:

Go to edit your listing and click on Pricing.

Click "Edit" at Extra charges and add $10 for each guest after 1 (picture below)

Untitled4.jpg

Marta-Alicia0
Level 3

Thank you Jeff,

I already did it but I left the statement in case people didn't pay attention 

Thanks for the feedback. 

Are you looking for listings in San Salvador, El Salvador? 

Vu11
Level 2
Hà Nội, Vietnam

@Marta-Alicia0: Thank for your topic.

@Jeff158: Thank for your clear reply. In addition to your suggestion on setting "extra charges" to added guest, may I have a futher question.

My listing have 2 bedrooms and a bunk bed in common area so it can accomodate maximum for 04 aldult and 02 children (<6 year old) with no extra charge. 

However, our bunk bed is big enough for adult also so that I wanna set extra charge $20 for 1 adult (or kid >6 y.o) after 4 first adults in case group of 5 adults and don't bring kid.

Where shall I note that extra charges to be applied for kid over 6 y.o or adult but  not kid under 6 y.o ? 

@Vu11  It does not work like that all children under 2 Infants stay free, but the extra guest fee would apply for 2-12 yr olds Children.