I booked an apartment but when I arrived, it was a different apartment than the one pictured

Jacob155
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I booked an apartment but when I arrived, it was a different apartment than the one pictured

When I arrived and texted the host, calmly (I'm really big into being objective when conflicts are sure to ensue), asking her why the apartment was different than the one pictured, she instantly told me to leave, if I had a problem, as she didn't want unhappy people staying there. I stayed because I paid over $300 and knew I would not get a refund, plus I had no where else to go.

During our text conversation (she wouldn't answer my actual phone calls--I sent probably 20 of them) she kept mentioning the "amenities," and that this new apartment was indeed different, but better. She then began threatening to call "Security Patrol" if I wasn't happy, or if I planned on submitting a bad review and kept reminding me she was a "SUPER HOST SINCE 2010." This whole thing gave me anxiety and ate up alot of my $300 night.

Also, she did not want me to mention Airbnb to the front desk, which made this all seem illegal; she was also very keen on calling the security if I did so. I was even made to go on a scavenger hunt to find the room key; it was ducktaped to a water pipe in Downtown LA, next to a sleepy homeless gentleman--nothing against the sleepy fellow but this doesn't seem like a very good security measure for other tenants. Maybe this is why she did not want me mentioning Airbnb to the building managment; I was also told this "no mentioning Airbnb" policy was a rule everywhere in Los Angeles, which is untrue. The next morning, she texted and made sure I ducktaped the key back to the pole in DTLA; is this normal?

Either way, the host was rude, the apartment was falsely advertised, the whole operation was shady and I was most likely made an accessory to illegal subletting. Do you think there is any way to get a partial refund? I would happily give her a 5-star review, if so.

This is my first Airbnb, btw

Any ideas? Questions? Advice?

Thanks, all!

Jacob

20 Replies 20
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hello @Jacob ,

You can report the listing and/or the host to Airbnb (see "flag" textlink on the listing or profile).

I read you did not experienced a really bad stay (besides the "strange" things you mentioned)

But you can mention these in your review. If the listing shows a diferent appartment and you suspect it is a illegal accomodation, you can inform Airbnb about it. 

Best regards, Emiel

Thanks, Emiel. 

If this wasn’t a bad stay, what is? I think I’m going to stick with hotels from now on. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

Exchanging money for ratings is completely against Airbnb terms of service, FWIW.

Thanks for the input, Lisa. It’s greatly appreciated. I guess what I meant was, I don’t want to leave a bad review if that would ruin my chances of at least a partial refund. Especially with the threats; it seems like reviews were the only thing the host was concerned about. 

Also, I don’t want to damage her business with a bad review if this was all normal, and I was just not acquainted to the Airbnb norms. 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

I would report the listing and the host. This is a bait and switch deal which is against AirBnB's TOS. It also sounds like an illegal listing to me. The HOA probablly does not let short term rentals. The first time she mentioned caling security on me after not renting me what was listed and I booked I would have been on the phone to AirBnB. She took advantage of you, abused you and flat out lied with the accomadations. You had every right to leave with a full refund. AirBnB would have helped to relocate you. I would call AirBnB immediately and hope they pull her listing ASAP. She has no business hosting! Period! She makes all the rest of us hosts look bad and ruins guests experiences with AirBnB.

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Thanks for the support, Letitia. Your response was what I was hoping to find. Truly a stressful night, especially since I live in LA and do not spend $300/night, joe have I ever been treated like a trouble maker for asking questions. 

I will contact Airbnb about this to see what they think.

Thanks again!

Best regards,

I recently booked my first stay through airbnb and it wasn't the same apartment as was pictured in the listing. It was a flop house with bedroom walls scabbed into the kitchen. My bedroom "door" was a bifold closet door. My husband said he never wants to hear me say how much money I can save us by booking this way again... He couldn't sleep until I called him the next morning to let him know i was ok.

I am trying to get a refund and I have involved Airbnb but, in explaining my story in full, it appears I have run out of typing room on the page, so my story to Airbnb is not complete. My traveling companion and I were hussled off to another hotel/motel..without explanation as to why we could not stay at the villa we had reserved. Basically dumped off and left at some 3rd rate effiency motel instead of staying at "capri Villa" 17th century mansion in Meta, Italy. At no time could we get in touch with our host. I have left him the standard notification to "request money" but, I have gotten no response. I invested $425 for the accomodations and I deserve the money returned to me. I also reserve an apology and the ability to give him and the community of Airbnb, a true review of his "hosting".

I will also say that because Airbnb sets it review system slanted towards the host, it is impossible to add a review to a hosts accomodation site, without first having the host review it himself. A very unfair practice. No wonder recommendations by guests seem to always praise rather then tell a real story when things go wrong. What Niccolo (the host) did to us deserves to be stated on his site so that others might know what it was like to be ignored, dumped off and left in a god forsaken place 4000 miles from home. Shame on him!

One last thought. In asking for Niccolo to "send money" as in give me a refund, the amount Airbnb is allowing is for $328 when in fact I paid him $425.70. Am I to assume that  approx.$100 just disappears into thin air for Niccolo's inconvenience or housekeeping fees? Why was there a cap of $328 instead of the full amount? How is that fair to the consumer when the entire debockle rests on Niccolo and his "Premiere 17th Century Villa Mansion"...in Meta, Italy. Ha!

@Bree--Barbara-0 the rest of the money (100$) are recieved by Airbnb (service fee) and you have to ask them for a refund, the host already gave you his part. And I believe you have misunderstood how reviews work, hosts dont get to see them until they write one on you or after 14 days and they cant do anything to alter or remove them ( unless they break some Airbnb policy and that only Airbnb can remove them )

@Ana1136  I don't think she has been refunded anything by Niccolo. She has only requested the money.  @Bree--Barbara-0  You need to call AirBnB and have them escalate your case. You are entitled to a complete refund AirBnB service fee's included. Report Niccolo's profile and his listing using the little flag on each. Here's the number call immediately. 

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Hola, estoy esperando que alguien de Arbnb me responda y no tengo ningún resultado, vivo en Alemania y tengo una reserva el viernes 22.06 a las 9.30 de la Manana y nadie me lo ha confirmado  como puedo comunicarme directo.,.

Gracias 

Fabiola Cobena Cadena 

Hi Fabiola,

I would call Airbnb or create a new thread to post this question.

I wish I could be of more help.

Safe travels!

Best of luck,