I feel like I have been betrayed by a friend

Answered!
Heather64
Level 5
Palm Coast, FL

I feel like I have been betrayed by a friend

I had a 90-day booking. The guest wanted to leave two months early. For weeks, multiple AirBnB representatives agreed with me that the guest would not be refunded. Then out of no where, Kaitlyn contacts me and tells me they are refunding him a month. I ask to speak to her supervisor. A few days later Amber called me with the same verdict. When I asked to speak to her supervisor she let me know that "she is the last line of supervision."

Really? I said. "Is your name Brian?"

To which Amber replied with a laugh "Brian doesn't get involved in these matters."

Brian really should get involved. 

I have been damaged by a guest that has a pattern of leaving early (based on previous reviews) and he is being allowed to provide a review. 

I have no choice now but to severe my seven year long relationship with AirBnB for all six of my properties. It's upsetting because I always travel with AirBnB. I have written op-eds in favoring of home sharing. I have testified in front of elected officials about the importance of home sharing. I have opened my home in several disaster and refugee situations. And, of course, I have enjoyed a significant income from my properties. 

But, like all relationships, when the trust is violated, things just aren't the same.

1 Best Answer
Adrian53
Level 2
Draper, UT

I had a similar situation happen to me. I agree with you. It's not fair to hosts. As a super host, I work hard to make sure every guest is comfortable. After a month of talking with Airbnb about the problem, I still did not get paid. The guests came to my house, after booking instantly on Airbnb, and I was told by Airbnb to wait for the payment. A month later I still did not get paid. I called several times. I asked kindly to resolve the matter. Yet, the guests received preferential treatment. They left my house. Thanked me for the service they received. And, I never got paid. More than a month passed. Still no payment. Only the same excuse. Wait. And wait some more. Thanks. 

View Best Answer in original post

46 Replies 46
O4
Level 3
Los Angeles, CA

Good (perhaps for the local resident community)... maybe then now you can actually rent out those properties to actual locals who need homes to rent and live in.... and not trying to make fast money renting them all to travelers on Airbnb. Perhaps this is why we having issues with housing availability.

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I don't understand the big deal here?

Has this guest made false accusations about your listing causing you harm or lost income? Does him leaving early affect your ability to get other bookings for the dates he will leave it vacated? If the answer is no, I think this isn't that big of a deal.

The same exact thing happened to me just weeks ago. I let him go no arguments because I don't want anyone in any of my listings who doesn't or can't be there (if they cannot afford it). Do you really want someone who doesn't or can't stay in your home to be there?

This is one of the many risks you take with long term bookings and it comes with the territory. I've learned to not expect much from airbnb support. If you keep expectations low, you won't be as disappointed in the future and know in the future that long term bookings can come with risks.