I feel like I have been betrayed by a friend

Answered!
Heather64
Level 5
Palm Coast, FL

I feel like I have been betrayed by a friend

I had a 90-day booking. The guest wanted to leave two months early. For weeks, multiple AirBnB representatives agreed with me that the guest would not be refunded. Then out of no where, Kaitlyn contacts me and tells me they are refunding him a month. I ask to speak to her supervisor. A few days later Amber called me with the same verdict. When I asked to speak to her supervisor she let me know that "she is the last line of supervision."

Really? I said. "Is your name Brian?"

To which Amber replied with a laugh "Brian doesn't get involved in these matters."

Brian really should get involved. 

I have been damaged by a guest that has a pattern of leaving early (based on previous reviews) and he is being allowed to provide a review. 

I have no choice now but to severe my seven year long relationship with AirBnB for all six of my properties. It's upsetting because I always travel with AirBnB. I have written op-eds in favoring of home sharing. I have testified in front of elected officials about the importance of home sharing. I have opened my home in several disaster and refugee situations. And, of course, I have enjoyed a significant income from my properties. 

But, like all relationships, when the trust is violated, things just aren't the same.

1 Best Answer
Adrian53
Level 2
Draper, UT

I had a similar situation happen to me. I agree with you. It's not fair to hosts. As a super host, I work hard to make sure every guest is comfortable. After a month of talking with Airbnb about the problem, I still did not get paid. The guests came to my house, after booking instantly on Airbnb, and I was told by Airbnb to wait for the payment. A month later I still did not get paid. I called several times. I asked kindly to resolve the matter. Yet, the guests received preferential treatment. They left my house. Thanked me for the service they received. And, I never got paid. More than a month passed. Still no payment. Only the same excuse. Wait. And wait some more. Thanks. 

View Best Answer in original post

46 Replies 46

That is shameful.

AirBnB has some work to do if they don't want to lose trust with owners. 

Your understanding is ridiculous. Why in the world would anyone take their home off the market for 30+ days with zero protection from random cancellations? 

@Heather64  The guest cancelled the remaining 2 months of his 3 month booking. You got paid for 2 months, although he only stayed for one month. So you had a full month that you got paid for, during which time the dates would open up again if you had just agreed to his cancellation and the 3rd month that you didn't get paid for could have been booked.

It's not a matter of why in the world would a host do something, it's a matter of how the cancellation policy is written.

@Heather64 It is not my understanding - it is how the policy is. 

AirBnB informed me that (after checking in) the guests is not responsible for payment beyond their 30 day notice to vacate.

for example :

90 day booking from Jan 1 to April 1, the tenant can give you notice on Feb 1 that he will vacate on on March 1st (30day notice) and therefore is not liable for the rent for March.

So this is unclear and confusing about airbnb 30 day canclation policy on long term rentals;

It seems that March 1st is the date the date reservation will be cancelled and therefore guest should be liable for the rent for the last 30 days after cancelation (March rent).

Therefore, guest can lock up your calander with a. 9 month rental and have the right cancel at any time with 30day notice. The guest might have the intension  of a 3 month rental yet book 9 months “just in case”.

Guests should have a penaty and be liable for the 30day from their cancellation date (the date they vacate)

Hi @Mike-and-Anna0 🙂

The second a guest press the cancellation button he/she has to leave and has to pay for the next 30 days. It is not possible to press the cancellation button 30 days in advance if that is what you mean?

Best, Sandra 

Exactly!

that should be the penalty / deterrent to keep guests from booking long term reservation and then later convert them into shorter stays by simply giving 30 day notice !

currently there is no penalty for guests who cancel their reservation (change) with 30 day notice and this can hurt hosts.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Heather64  I don't think you'd get any disagreement here re Airbnb needing to vastly improve their customer service department. Pandering to guests at the host's expense, overriding host's cancellation policies and their own policies and protocol is, in the long run, bad business sense.

But it is true, as others have said, that the company can't be counted on to protect hosts, despite the rhetoric to the contrary, so long-term bookings are riskier than short term. At least there isn't so much money at stake or having one's calendar blocked for long periods of time by a guest who ends up changing their mind.

As business partners, we should be able to count on each other. That is my point. 

@Heather64 You don't seem to read or understand that you and the guest agrees on the long term cancellation policy when the booking goes through. 

The thing is though @Heather64 , Airbnb doesn't consider hosts as

partners - business or otherwise - and never have done. They make that crystal clear in their own Terms of Service. 

1.4 If you choose to use the Airbnb Platform as a Host or Co-Host (as defined below), your relationship with Airbnb is limited to being an independent, third-party contractor, and not an employee, agent, joint venturer or partner of Airbnb

And they sure as hell aren't our friends either. 

Heather64
Level 5
Palm Coast, FL

Read the comments in their entirely. The very fact that people don't fully understand long term guest policies and/or won't accept long term guests because of the policy problem is a problem that AirBnB should acknowledge and rectify.

Heather64
Level 5
Palm Coast, FL

The fact that there are 30+ posts "clarifying" the long term rental policy and the fact that several posts have confirmed that AirBnB is pressuring owners to return money to guests without regard to their cancellation policy and the fact that the words cancellation v. change is being debated...is all the proof AirBnB needs to show that their host relationships are being damaged.