I got a massage from guest i do not know how to reply

Gabriella30
Level 2
Jerusalem, Israel

I got a massage from guest i do not know how to reply

I would like to have your advice how should I answer the following request by gustes , Thanks:

"Hello Gabriella, my husband and me would like to rent your apt. during above mentioned period. We don`t want to pay the invoice wright now to airbnb, because we know, that you, Gabriela, do not get the money in this moment. We know, that you will get the money after our departure. Also we have to pay the total amount of EUR 400,00 for service a.o. This is not explicable/ traceable over this long period. We will pay the total invoice in the beginnig of september 2016. Please keep your apt. for us until first of september 2016. If you remove the apt. from the website of airbnb, we will send you an message on first of september 2016. Than you can reinsert the apt. and give us the possibility to book and pay the apt. Hoping, that it is okey for you."

10 Replies 10
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

The simple answer to them is .....No !

Why on earth should you mark your accomodation as occupied during the dates they want,   on the off chance they might confirm in September.

If they want you to block out the time period. They need to make a booking. Simple as.

I would just write back and explain that they only way they can reserve your accomodation is by making a booking now and paying for it through the BnB system. If they prefer to wait until 1st September, then they can wait till then and if your accommodation is free then you would be happy for them to book. Explain you can't hold the space for them on a promise they will book in three months, that you have lots of interest and need to offer it on a first come, first served basis.

Amaris0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

What they are asking you to do is reserve the apartment for them without then paying immediately to secure it. 

I would outright decline personally. If they wish to definitely secure the apartment then they must pay for it now. If they do not wish to make payment so far in advance, that too is their choice but they risk losing the apartment to someone else who is ready to commit. Their best bet is to check nearer the time they wish to travel/ are willing to make payments and take what is on offer at that time. They can't have it both ways. Also what's to say if you do agree to block off the date that they will actually book them nearer the time so you are closing your listing off to other potential guests with no security from these guests.

Inform them that this is how Airbnb works, they make a payment and the booking is confirmed. Yes Airbnb take the money immediately and do not release to you until 24 hours after the guest has checked in. Going by their message and reading in-between the lines, I also feel there is the possibility of them trying to get you to take cash payment to avoid paying Airbnb fees if they do proceed. Not only would that be a breach of Airbnb policy, you would not be protected by ABB in the event of any issues down the line; it’s not really worth the risk.

Personally, I don't like the sound of it, they are trying to be smart. I cannot tell you what to decide but if it were me, I would politely explain that there is no facility to block off dates for so long for a reservation; reservations can only be held for a maximum of 24hours, that they are welcome to check neared the time and if the apartment is still available, that you would be happy to consider their request to book via ABB at such a time.

BW, Ama

Michele107
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Gabriella30

I totally agree with @Amaris0 and @Helen3. I speak from experience. I am very new to Airbnb. Somebody made the same type of request to me and I blocked tome for her, only to let me down at the last minute.She said that she couldnt aford to pay until she arrived. She was young and I felt sorry for her I was niave..trying to help, however ended up hurt and annoyed. I also didnt realise the inplication of not being insured by Airbnb and not being able to get reviews. I have never and will never do this again!

They need to understand the Airbnb rules and ethos. So politley refuse, remind them of the terms and conditions and say that you look forward to meeting them if your place is free to book when they are ready to book.

Good luck

Michele

This doesn't sound like a genuine enquiry. I would reply with a firm "no thank you!"

Christina62
Level 2
Asheville, NC

Never never ever book a guest off the system - huge liability for you, and they are not actually committed to doing what they say or respecting the property while there. They seem not to understand the purpose of AirBNB. You can try to educate them, or just decline the inquiry (which is what I would personally do, I don't like to book to people who try to violate the policies of a service they agreed to, indicates a lack of integrity that will likely carry through into my experience hosting them). Best of luck!
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Hello Sir,I completed  all my notifications of the registration ,I link my registration with Google,and creat all the listing and calender ,maps and put my ID and photos and completed the Menu notifications,and know may you send me the email that I'm a member in Airbnb.

@Hoda5 wrote:

Hello Sir,I completed  all my notifications of the registration ,I link my registration with Google,and creat all the listing and calender ,maps and put my ID and photos and completed the Menu notifications,and know may you send me the email that I'm a member in Airbnb.

Hello Sir,I corrected all the errors yesterday and I link my registration with Google and I want you to tell me please my highlighted errors. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Hoda5,

This is not Airbnb itself, but a community of hosts. What errors do you experience on the website  ?