I got dinged again for LOCATION. So annoying!

Answered!
Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

I got dinged again for LOCATION. So annoying!

I recently had a family of 4 come for a 2 night "staycation". They live about 20 miles away and came basically for their kids to use our arcade. The 1st full day they had the arcade on from 9am to 11pm. On checkout day they awoke and were in the arcade at 8:30 and right up until the 11am checkout time. It costs about $5 an hour to run the arcade I think. 

What I realized about "staycation" guests is that they don't seem to go out sightseeing or anything because they're from the area. So, they end up staying at my airbnb the entire time, using the amentities a lot. The usual travelling guest is only here using the amenities for short times between sightseeing and exploring. I have to start rethinking the staycation guests. They're very costly compared to travelling guests. 

Anyway... the guy left me 4 stars for location! You'd think that our airbnb being CLOSE TO HIS HOME so his family can have an inexpensive, fun staycation would warrant a 5 but no. You'd also think an darcade on the premisis would add to the location rating but nope. 

Airbnb needs to change the wording of the LOCATION RATING. It is a ridiculous category and something I have no control over changing to make better in the eys of my guests. 

1 Best Answer
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Donald

I’ve pointed out numerous times that there appears to be a glitch on the Airbnb iOS app, where by pausing for a split second while allocating one chosen star rating, the app advances you to the next category and if one does not notice or care sufficiently this error remains. 

I had one chap waxing lyrical about how good my location was only for him to give me fours star, I rang him, and he agreed it was a mistake and both of us contacted Airbnb to have it changed, do you think they’d change it nooooooo.

This was the one and only time I’ve contacted Airbnb and it will be the last, as I was dealing with a representative that was clearly out of her depth and it was obvious to me she was reading from a predetermined script from which she could not deviate.

This is what passes as a community on Airbnb “And justice for all”

View Best Answer in original post

81 Replies 81
Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Donald28 Locals are certainly the worst guests one could possible host on Airbnb whereever you are on this planet.I also have a bad experience with locals.Keep calm and happy hosting!!!

I will not host locals. One bad experience was all it took! 

@Donald28 you are in good company when you complain about the "Location" rating.

The guests know where your property is when they book; how could somehow be unhappy with the location?

Your listing is amazing and unique;

I can't imagine a few people putting 4-stars on your location rating is going to stop people from wanting to book with you.

I don't even know where Lithia Springs is, and your listing makes me want to go there.

(Click)

There. I have added you to my "Amazing Places" wishlist.

The boost from that should make up for the 4-star location rating.

@Donald28 What an amazing place you have! 

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Mathew thanks a lot. If I come to SF, I'm looking you up for a nice place to stay! I also just noticed a recent review that started with "5 starts plus!" but then noticed she left me 4 starts for value. I wish I wasn't so hung up on these reviews but I do work hard for them. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Donald28  If they never went anywhere and just stayed there and used the arcade all day,  I can't imagine what possible objection they could have to the location, how idiotic. It's not like it was far from other places they went to, because they never went anywhere. I guess maybe they'd have preferred that your place was just down the block from them so they didn't have to drive 20 minutes.

Donald28
Level 10
Lithia Springs, GA

Sarah that seems exactly correct. I did message him today and asked why the 4 stars. It'll be interesting to see if he replies. They "can't wait to come back again in the summer" but honestly, I wouldn't approve their inquiry unless I was hard up for money. Same thing goes for the woman who said "5 stars plus" in her review but then left me a 4 for value. 

A single person can rip through $50 at Dave & Busters in about an hour playing arcade games. We have a pretty good selection of games but not nearly as many... but still, an entire family can (and do) play in our arcade nonstop for 12+ hours at a time for free as a perk for staying here. I even have the claw machine set on freeplay and give the toys away. LOL. Free drinks & snacks too. How is that NOT a good value? 

Take your family of 4 and go play continuously at dave & busters for 12 hours and then tell me our airbnb isn't worth 5 stars in the value category. 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Donald28

You are in good company - I offer a holiday home/beach cottage and it is advertised as such.  Got dinged for location - apparantly too close to the beach - for a beach holiday !  The weather played a role too - they had a windy spell.

Stonecrop0
Level 2
White River, South Africa

Just laughed out loud, Marit! Oh those dear, dear paying guests... So finicky and easily upset. Do not let it get you down! You are welcome to visit us in sunny South Africa anytime, more than 100kms from any beach but close to the Kruger Park. 

Christina355
Level 7
Bradenton, FL

I really think people don't think twice about the little star deductions unless they're also a host. Airbnb doesn't do a great job of educating the guests on how the stars really hurt us. For example, how can someone give you a 5 for accuracy and then a 4 for location? I've gotten 4 stars for location too and I really don't have any idea why- especially when they give me 5 stars overall & for accuracy. I even go so far as to list the exact mileage to different popular destinations around the area. I like to re-read the glowing reviews after I get a stupid one 🙂 makes me feel a little better!

Claudiu-Nicolae0
Level 10
Barcelona, Spain

@Donald28 Location rating (and other additional ratings) doesn't affect your general rating. I.e. if a guest gives you 3 stars for location, but then 5 starts in general, you will have 5 stars rating. If a guest gives you 5 stars for all additional ratings, but leaves you 4 stars in general, you will have 4 stars rating as a result.

@Claudiu0what you are saying is wrong! It does affect!!!
Jeffrey6
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Some guests just like to find an issue with something. I recently had a guest drop me a message saying she couldn't find any paper or cloth napkins in the house and said I should have them. I don't provide napkins and I clearly advertise what I do provide. You just can't win with some guests, but as the saying goes "don't take it personally".

I appreciate having the many sub categories. I think it allows for even better feedback from the many reasonable guests.

I do occasionally get lower Location ratings too, but they are still few and don't have an impact on overall rating. If you're getting a lot of lower Location ratings, then you might want to consider including a location description in the listing summary. 

How about this one? I have two villas side by side, one gets 5* for location and the other one 4 1/2*. That just shows how ridiclous the location rating is, 10 steps apart and I have exact location on the listings so there isn't any guessing on where they are.