I had a third party Instant Book give me a bad rating

Chris445
Level 1
Massachusetts, United States

I had a third party Instant Book give me a bad rating

Had a woman instant book this past weekend.  However, a third party showed up after I was alseep (close to midnight) who had clearly not read my listing or rules (came in to my room and woke me up even though my listing clearly describes where her room was).

She also didn't remove her shoes and tracked dog **bleep** up the carpeted stairs and into the room.

Didn't want to rock the boat and gave her a good rating as I hadn't realized the mess on the stairs- I smelled it but thought she didn't use the bath fan after using the bathroom.

I did, however, comment in private to AirBnB that I wasn't happy a third party was in my home without any notification.

Unfortunately, she left me a bad rating ( I had 11 visits and averaged 4.9 stars on 9 reviews) based on the room being cold.

If she had read the description, she would have easily remedied the situation as there is a thermostat in EVERY room.  

I've asked Airbnb to remove the rating as this seems pretty black and white yet I haven't received any response.

This is my second bad experience in a row (guy before unscrewed the shower head and caused ceiling damage due to all the water) and I'm considering whether this is worth the hassle.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I would not let someone come that later after I had gone to bed.

David
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

The good new is you should be able to Contact Airbnb and have a review removed.

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

My whole take away from my Airbnb experience so far is that there are lots of good and bad mixed in.  You get a slew of great, then a few icky---it has made me neutral, if that makes any sense.  I would NEVER let someone into my home wihtout shaking their hand and guiding them in my home to their space, but that's me.  I see lots of people don't mind strangers coming and going without knowing at least what their face looks like and it seems to be working out for most people. Ultimately, you are providing a service and with that comes people forgetting that it's your actual  home, not their hotel room.  I had a guy book and ask for an additional guest than what my max is.  I agreed.  Then he asks me later if he can bring THREE MORE friends.  I was like:  "Do you realize this is my home?  I am not interested in so many strangers in my home at once."  His response was that he totally did not conisder it was my home---he just was looking for a cheap place for him and his buddies to stay after a 24 hour concert binder....yeah, ugh...this is a famiy home, which is well stated in my descrition lol.  

Airbnb is not a hotel experience, it's an exchange of neighbors helping neighbors.  However, most poeple think it's a cheap hotel experience--and they expect it to be better than staying in a hotel for way less than the price of Super 8.

If you think hosting is a hassle, then don't host much or just keep a few dates open and allow yourself to rest in between.  The more bookings you get, the much more work and hassle it becomes.

Emma94
Level 10
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

I feel for you. People are too lazy to read anything nowadays and then making it your problem for their stupidity. There's no cure for them. You just have to be blatant next time. No more being civil. I'm marking everyone down from now on. 

Hilary-And-Ed0
Level 10
Brookline, MA

I'm glad you commented to airbnb that a third party showed up.  I would recommend putting in your house rules that only registered guests are allowed in the house.  It is an airbnb rule anyhow that people shouldn't be booking for other people, but it happens.  It will still happen, but I do believe it helps to have it written right on the listing.