I have a registered guest who will not be at the house.

Anita436
Level 2
Frederica, DE

I have a registered guest who will not be at the house.

My upcoming guest just informed me that he will not be staying at my house but another house in the area.  This group is coming in for a sporting event.

So, he wants to let me know that he will be available by phone if needed, but he will give me another contact name and number just in case.   How should I handle this situation.  

Anita

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I would ask him to work with Airbnb to transfer the booking to someone who is staying. Third party bookings are against Airbnb’s T&C he shouldn’t have made a booking knowing he is not staying there.

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Anita436  I agree 100%  with @Helen3 .

Not only is it against the AIrBnB policy, the guests who will actually stay with you will have no access to the listing...they won't see your rules, your check-in info, your special notes, your messages. They will have no idea what your expectations are of your AirBnB guests and they won't have the booked guest there to guide them during their stay. And whatever you do, do not cancel the booking on your end. 

Ditto.

I will say that I have allowed third party bookings which worked out really well (In all cases local organizers of a major convention - brought in visiting speakers, we have a group coming to dismantle an exhibit and their prior reviews mention this is always the situation, etc. ). However, I make it clear I need the names, business emails and telephone numbers of each guest in advance.

But it's nervy for someone to book and say "hey,!" I'm not staying but you can call if anything happens. Technically they won't have checked, they may or may not have liability if something goes wrong - and RED FLAG - people coming in for sporting events have been my worst guests. WORST.

He wants to book - he needs to transfer to one of the people staying - or he needs to agree to sign a contract/lease accepting all liability for problems, damage, etc.  Guests have to confirm by email that they understand the house rules. (Then make sure duplicates are printed out and posted in the apartment).

Then ALL parties need to arrive with valid government issued ID's in order to gain access to the keys.
|

Good grief - this is not how Airbnb is supposed to work. We are not a cheap hotel alternative.