I have been asked to pay an agent is this a scam?

Answered!
Steve370
Level 1
United Kingdom

I have been asked to pay an agent is this a scam?

I have received an email looking as if it is from Airbnb with a link to pay for a stay through an Agent

Is this a scam?

Text as follows

Payment method - Wire Transfer

We experience issues with gateway payment system right now so credit cards payments cannot be confirmed. To complete the transaction payment must be made using bank-to-bank electronic wire transfer. Wire transfer or credit transfer is a method of transferring money from one person or institution (entity) to another. A wire transfer can be made from one bank account to another bank account or through a transfer of cash at a cash office.  

The deposit details will be sent to you in a few seconds.....

1 Best Answer
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Steve370,

Yes, that is most definitely a scam.

The only way to pay for a listing on Airbnb is by clicking on "book" or "request to book" on the page on the Airbnb site.

The credit card you have registered with Airbnb will then be charged.

Airbnb doesn't have agents and any money you transfer to some bank account will be lost.

Steve.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Steve370,

Yes, that is most definitely a scam.

The only way to pay for a listing on Airbnb is by clicking on "book" or "request to book" on the page on the Airbnb site.

The credit card you have registered with Airbnb will then be charged.

Airbnb doesn't have agents and any money you transfer to some bank account will be lost.

Steve.

I thought it might be.

They asked for a copy of my passport so I suspect they may try to use my details to set up another account. How can I contact Airbnb to advise them?

Hi Linda

Now just need to make sure no one else gets caught

Hello @Steve370,

You can report both the listing and the host to Airbnb via the website.

When you go to the listing's page on the Airbnb website you can click on the "Report this listing" link just below the red booking button.

To report the host, go to the listing's page and scroll down to the "Hosted by ..." section near the end, click on the profile photo there and then on the "Report this user" link that's just below the "Hey, I'm ... !" line at the top of the profile page.

Steve.