I have guests wanting to rent but has no reviews. I am concerned about this

MaryLynn3
Level 2
Lake Ariel, PA

I have guests wanting to rent but has no reviews. I am concerned about this

I have two separate reservations.  Each set of guests had their reservations automatically approved but both have NO reviews.  I only want to rent to those with positive reviews.  Can I decline them w/out prejustice and penalties?

5 Replies 5
Karen57
Level 2
Springfield, IL

Help me understand... what do you mean that they were automatically accepted?  Like they were instant bookings?  If so, that's a setting you can change in booking settings.  If they have a reservation, you cannot cancel it without being in a bad spot with airbnb.  Are they inquiries or bookings?

Sandra856
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

Hi @MaryLynn3 🙂

I have had a lot of newbies with no reviews as guests. I always ask some questions who they are their purpose of visiting etc. and it has worked out perfectly fine.

If you have instant book turned on change the settings, tick the boxes as @Karen57 says to guests with experience, verified ID, profile photo.

Don't ever cancel from your side as you will get penalized. Always contact airbnb so they can cancel from their side. 

Best, Sandra 

Thank you so very much for your response.  I just can't let myself rent w/out positive reviews as of yet.  I'm still a "chicken" lol.   I do lock my bedroom door and a closet and had no problems.  BUT because it is my home I have a wall dedicated to "Life is a Journey" and the wall has art and memorabilias from all over so I am a little leary etc.  I did change the options in settings and I am fine with a slower booking turnout.  I only want to do this part time.  I can't thank you enough and I will certainly digest your advice and your experiences....ty ty Mary Lynn 🙂

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

HI @MaryLynn3 , if you have reservations that are automatically approved you are using Instant Booking, correct? You can set your requirements to have reservations only instantly accepted if guests have previous reviews (under your booking settings.) All others will have to request to book with you. 

Keep in mind that all guests have to start somewhere. There are plenty of great guests out there with no reviews. There are also guests out there with good reviews that many not be suitable to your hosting style/space and in turn you would give them a bad review. I say this because everyone's hosting style is different. You may give a guest a bad review because they did not communicate with you and I might not require any communication from my guests, so they would get a good review from me. A stained towel may not mean the same thing to you as it does to me. My point is, is that I don't rely on reviews, they don't tell me very much. I rely on the initial communication with a guest and how polite and informative their message is. From there I can usually tell how the hosting experience will go.

Screen Shot 2019-03-18 at 9.45.53 AM.png

MaryLynn3
Level 2
Lake Ariel, PA

Great advice!!!!! Thank you so much.  I am taking it all very serious....Thank you thank you Mary Lynn 🙂