I just got scammed by a Airbnb host

Answered!
Ken2221
Level 2
Massachusetts, United States

I just got scammed by a Airbnb host

THE WORST AIRBNB EXPERIENCE. TOTAL NIGHTMARE!

1. Arrival at the Airbnb location which advertised for “street parking always available”, but actually no street parking available at all

After confirming that street parking is always available as advertised in this Airbnb listing. I reserved for Feb 21st to March 1st. It was cold Sunday night of February and I was very tired from all that driving. there was one street parking available across the street, but somebody put a metal chair in the middle of the parking space. I called Asael if I should remove the metal chair. Asael told me there should be no issue and just move it and park, which is exactly what I did. minutes later, there was women in that side of the house at 2nd floor, yelled at me that I should not park there, it is someone's spot. I said it is street parking. the woman then said "oh if you are going that way, let's see what is going to happen to you!" within minutes, there was 2007 black BMW 530i parks right next to my car and a man got out of a vehicle, demanding me to move out of the street parking. Uh oh…..

*identifying personal information removed*

*identifying imagery removed*

1. Attempt to street park led to property damage due to Asael’s false advertising and false advice. The incident cause even bodily harm. Two police officers had to be involved and the issue could still not be resolved.

The black man put the metal chair on top of my car and dragged about 3 feet. which later day on daylight i noticed a scratch. he then threatened me to punch me in the face in the face and trash my car if I do not move my car. I moved away from him and called the Asael. Asael told me that I should fight for my parking spot like a proper American citizen and protect what is rightfully mine. well, no way. I did not sign up for his Airbnb, Just so that I could fight with his neighbor. Asael then suggested calling the cop, as he is far away and cannot help me. which I did. two officers showed up about 30 minutes later, and checked if I was in any physical harm. I explained the officer about how this guy threatened me and dragged metal chair on top of my car with my phone video recorder, but they were not interested. they asked the neighbor man to stop blocking the one way street and then they left, telling me that police should never be called for small incident like this as situation can easily resolved if both parties compromise. What the heck? I can assure that the neighbor had 0 interest in compromising. as soon as they left, the woman in the house and man started pressuring me to move my car or I will be blocked again. I was forced to move my car around the block. the corner parking is dangerous during snow with near 90 degree angle and big cars cannot pass there. A yellow cap almost hit my parked car during turning.

1. Asael the host, assured me that full refund will be given for any duration of stay, and he will help me throughout the stay to prevent this issue again, and asked me not to report or call Airbnb.

Asael called me again, and I told him I am going to report to Airbnb for this incident, cancel this trip and go to other Airbnb or nearby motel to check in that night. but Asael assured me that full refund will be given, please do not call Airbnb as it will affect his rating and give him trouble, and I can stay for any duration i want until I find replacement and Asael will help me if I needed any help. I was relieved to hear that. the two-hour dispute at the outside was so intense for me, I just needed to rest.  

However, for the next 6 nights I parked around the block next to 90 degree curve with no turning radius for even sedan. There was not much Asael could do to help me. Every night I was worried someone would dent my car. There was no other close parking spot near there. During the stays my tropical pet fish also passed a way, as it was stuck in my car when the guy blocked me from getting back to my car to move in. On the 6th night, I could not take it anymore, and decided to move out before my reservation was over.

*identifying personal information removed*

1. When it was the time for him to issue refund, Asael refuse to acknowledge that neither he promised refund nor asking not to call Airbnb customer service. SAY WHHAAT?

I asked him why he is not processing refund. He replied to me that only when trip is over refund can be processed. I asked him again after I moved out on the 6th day. No reply for the 2 days. 2 days later, he sent automated message at 7am, telling that he left 5 star for me so i should leave 5 star for me. I ask when is refund going to processed, he does not answer. then he started calling me on my phone asking for 5 star in return for 5 star, and when I ask about refund, he just changes topic back to reviews like a broken record! Seriously this man is insane! I could not continue this joke of a conversation anymore. My endurance was gone and FINALLY! I picked up my phone and contacted customer service.

*correspondence with customer service removed per Community guidelines*

1. Airbnb refuse to acknowledge any evidence on the Airbnb message app, and it is guest’s fault for not reporting incident in 24 hours, therefore, 100% of decision to whether to make any refund or not, must be made by host, and host alone.

I already spent 4 nights calling Airbnb customer service, not my favorite way of managing my time. Airbnb messaged me that they contacted Asael, and he now refuses to give refund! Customer service agent Andrew and Maria were particularly inattentive about the situation. Imagine myself describing same story every night with different customer service agent and they do not know how to even look into Airbnb message, and does not even know that there is host and guest message board and claims that contacting 24 hours is the only policy that Airbnb will honor. Whether listing was inaccurate or host promising refund and not providing refund, according to them, is NOT written in Airbnb refund policy, so it is at guest’s fault.

*correspondence with customer service removed per Community guidelines*

1. Lesson learned. I waited too long and gave too much trust for Airbnb host and Airbnb as a company. Asael is a coward, and a scam artist, and he knows the Airbnb system will let him get away every time. My only hope is Airbnb Community. I NEED YOUR HELP.

For any random people out there who read my post, thank you so much for your time. This is my 2 cents to you. PLEASE DO NOT TRUST ANYTHING THE AIRBNB HOST SAYS ON THE PHONE OR MESSAGE BOARD. IF ISSUE HAPPENS, CONTACT AIRBNB CUSTOMER SERVICE ASAP [MUST BE WITHIN 24 HOURS] WITH ALL VOICE RECORDING AND VIDEO RECORDING IF POSSIBLE. I AM PAYING DEARLY NOW FOR HAVING TOO MUCH FAITH IN HUMANITY!

1. Robert is amazing co-host who lives on the first floor. However, one of guest or permanent resident on second floor seemed like she has not left the building for years. She was very rude when I said good morning. She said “I am not your friend, so be quiet and do not talk to me.” Lol. Also the printer was OUT OF INK. Technically, it was false advertising as well besides the parking issue.

Robert, the nice co-host

Airbnb profile of Asael, supposedly the "SUPER-HOST"

1 Best Answer

"On the 6th night, I could not take it anymore, and decided to move out before my reservation was over."

Sorry I missed that you did leave early. You could keep following up on that, but moving forward you have to contact ABB and not trust the host. 

View Best Answer in original post

26 Replies 26

@Ken2221 I think you would need to shorten this quite a bit. Let me rephrase this.

“I am seeking a refund for the nights I did not stay at this listing. First the listing claimed there was plenty of parking out front, but when I arrived there was none available. The host even told me to move a metal chair that he claimed was an arrangement he and his neighbor used to reserve it. However when I did as instructed in good faith the neighbor became hostile and damaged my car hood with the said chair. The host then claimed I wasn’t being brave enough and Un-American for me not fighting his neighbor over the parking place which added to the increasing hostility and discrimination I felt. Instead the police were called for an incident report but once again I was at a disadvantage as I was just a visitor. In good faith I continued to trust my host which I now consider a mistake. Once neighbors in the same apartment building became increasingly hostile I felt discriminated against and concerned of my vehicle or myself being subjected to further hostility and property damage.” 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Ken2221  

Interesting story.

I can only tell You that in Germany this case would have turned out completely different. There is no way in our country that someone can resere a public parking space by putting a metal chair there. In our country You would be fined big time for doing that. Is that really legal in the US?

@Ute42  No it isn't legal, but it is done in some usually urban areas, and as the OP says, often if you move the object the person has put in the street parking space, you will find some damage happens to you car/the perpetrator will verbal abuse you.  I'm not sure if the police would fine for trying to reserve a space or not, I'm sure technically that is some type of infraction, but whether it would be enforced, I don't know.  

@Ute42  Here in Mexico it's standard practice. Chairs, 5 gallon pails filled with cement, whatever. People have some notion that they own the street in front of their home or business. I just get out and move that stuff if it's blocking a legal parking space.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

People do it here all the time in areas with crowded parking @Ute42 . Not legal but common practice.

it's obviously going to annoy neighbours if an Airbnb guest rocks up and moves whatever they put out to hold the space.

everyone knows on street parking is on a first come, first served basis, so I don't know how the host or guest could claim on street parking would always be available. 

I think the host should remove reference to on street parking always being available as this can't be guaranteed.

@Ute42 

There wasn't enough information. There could be other factors involved. For example, in our city apartment buildings have to provide their own parking and can't use street parking for older established neighborhoods. The just happened in the city over where a huge apartment took up all the neighborhoods street parking in one of the most desirable places to live. It did look like an older established neighborhood from the pic of the neighbor. Historically established middle class or working class neighborhoods for minorities have had most of the highways, bridges and roads put through them, and most places in the US have these problems with gridlick traffic, no parking, etc. His own car has likely been vandalized or stolen so he wants to park it where he can keep closer watch. He may also be watching out for other cars on the street. I'm not saying it was right but the host should have already sorted this out with his neighbor, or be the one to call police when he sees a chair in the street, and not use a guest create such a serious conflict. People in general can get very emotional about driving and parking. I could see myself getting into a dispute about something like this and soon realize it wasn't worth it. Finally when a guest misrepresents something in the listing don't trust them. For most host and guest there are no trust issues. Usually everyone has some experience like this and learns from it a moves on. 

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Ute42  In cities where it's really snowy, like in cities in the norhern US, it gets really bad: people take the time to clear a space to park their car and then mark it off. If someone just comes along and moves your chair or whatever you've set up to mark it out, things get ugly. It's just understood in places like Chicago, Baltimore, etc. that you just don't do it unless you want to get into it with your neighbour. 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@John5097   

I just think that host Asael has misrepresented the parking situation in the first place by stating “street parking always available”. You can never guarantee this unless You own the street and I think the host doesn't.

At the same time it is unrealistic from guest Ken to trust that statement, because if someone wants to guarantee that street parking is always available said person has to own the street and that is not very likely.

Well, things went south in this case and unfortenately there was a fatal ending. Because as Ken said: „During the stay my tropical pet fish also passed a way, as it was stuck in my car when the guy blocked me from getting back to my car to move in“.

So sad.

Cc: @Ken2221 @Helen3 @Alexandra316 @Mark116 @Sarah977 

@Ute42 In our city we also have residential parking passes where each house is allowed two parking decals for street parking. Visitors are only allowed to park two hours. A resident can apply for a longer stay guest pass but couldn’t do it for STR for example, just every now and Ghent again. Maybe if we had snow it would be easier to just beat each other over the head with snow shovels, but I degrees. It sounds more like a zoning issue the residents need to address. I totally agree the host misrepresented the parking situation that really got out of hand. Glad you mentioned the fatality! I was thinking of that also. I’m a accustomed to urban life and would have avoided conflict which I suspect resulted in loss of access, because of volitile situation. I make it clear there is parking on the street for my listing. I have a legal STR license that requires one off street parking place for each bedroom rented to guest. Host have to submit detailed house and property drawings that are reviewed and kept on public record at the RMC. Very sad a shrimp also didn’t survive. 

@Ute42   Yes I agree.  Our guests who drive also have to park on the street.  We tell them that 'usually' they will be able to find a spot on our block, but that of course we can't guarantee it, and that availability is also tied to time, e.g. if you arrive at 2pm your chances of a space in front of the house is much better than if you arrive at 10pm.  I also tell them that having lived here 15 years I've never had to park more than 5 blocks from the house, which is also true.

@Ute42 I wasn’t taking issue with your post. I just wanted to mention that we don’t have the whole story. Additionally the police may have been doing Ken a favor. Had charged been pressed for vandalism that can lead to reverse civil charges. Has nothing to do with race, which I think everyone is in agreement on. In the US it’s common to be rear ended by a driver who is issued both a DUI and reckless driving, and the driver at fault still filed a civil law suit against the victim. I was just saying there are other dynamics here in the US with zoning and how much worse this could have been for someone just visiting with no witnesses to back him up. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

post removed as requested by OP

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen